Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shot timers for dryfiring revolver

Dragon11

Does anybody know if shot timers will pick up the hammer falling when dryfiring revolvers? I have tried using my regular shot timer to pick up the hammer fall when dryfiring but it doesn't seem to work, even after adjusting the sensitivty setting as low as it will go. I saw that competitive edge dynamics makes an airsoft shot timer, I think its the CED 7000A, and wasn't sure if it would work. Trying to get more exact times for my draws and reloads while dryfiring, as opposed to using a par time. Anybody have any experience with this?

Very good question, I don't know and look forward to some more experienced advise. However, you said draw time not reloads. Which I recall some time ago there were plastic bullets that used only a primer that was easily punched out and replaced by hand. That may be enough to be recorded by the timer. To clarify, that's a "plastic bullet", it has a plastic case and bullet but uses a std pistol primer for ignition and propellant, only use the case and primer, no bullet and bang you have you timer initiation. Its like a cap pistol but I wouldn't do it in the house, maybe a garage. Again, it wouldn't work for reloads without the projectile.

Just searched plastic bullet, Speer makes it, however, the plastic case seems to only be for .38 and .44 cal. .45 indicates using a brass case and they Use CCI large pistol primers. FYI, the actual plastic bullet projectile gives 300/400 fps and is used for 25ft shooting and is stopped with carpet scraps and or cardboard.

Edited by lora

I can confirm that the regular CED 7000 will pick up dryfire at sensitivity 8, I assume the airsoft version will be even better. It's effective to maybe eight inches of distance. I just find a surface that's roughly that distance under my normal stance, pick a target that causes the gun to hover over the timer, and go to town.

I like the idea of the plastic bullets, but to be honest, its a little to much extra work for what I'm looking for. I know the airsoft timer is suppose to be adjustable for lower frequency sounds compared to shooting the live rounds or primers. Was thinking that by using the airsoft timer I could adjust to the hammer falling on the revolver and just dryfire, since most of my dryfiring is done in my bedroom or somewhere else in the house. My wife would appreciate the lower noises and wouldn't have the expense and time into making the plastic bullets.

Matt, I currently have a CED 6000 and have used it in the same manner that you have used your timer. It hasn't been totally reliable, and thought with the airsoft timer I could wear it on my pants and be more mobile, like practicing reloads on the move. Reading up on the CED 7000A timer for air soft I think it would work, just didn't know if anybody else had tried it or not.

I like the idea of the plastic bullets, but to be honest, its a little to much extra work for what I'm looking for. I know the airsoft timer is suppose to be adjustable for lower frequency sounds compared to shooting the live rounds or primers. Was thinking that by using the airsoft timer I could adjust to the hammer falling on the revolver and just dryfire, since most of my dryfiring is done in my bedroom or somewhere else in the house. My wife would appreciate the lower noises and wouldn't have the expense and time into making the plastic bullets.

What Matt said will work for me in the basement with the concrete floor but won't upstairs with carpet to absorb the sound.

On my android, I installed IPSC shot timer(beta)

It has no problem recording hammer falls. It can't distinguish snapping the cylinder shut and sometimes picks up coming out of the holster. I haven't tried tuning it though.

It does what I need it to do, which for me is record the last click...