Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Masaki Dragon Gun

toothguy

MODS,

Maybe this should be moved to the What I Like section or What I Hate.

I just thought it was an innovative idea for an open gun that might provide some inspiration. The barrel is like a 41 and the slide has half the mass for low recoil and high accuracy.

No disrespect at all. It's just that even for me 10 seconds is an eternity. I have watched plenty of bullseye matches at our club and I just don't see how that would help a USPSA shooter any more than practicing on real USPSA targets under realistic time constraints. I'm not knocking the games you play but they still make me drowsy.

Oh Sorry! I hadn't realized this was a USPSA only forum.

Well, it is in the Open pistol section of a predominantly USPSA forum.

I really just thought it was an interesting open gun design, using out of the box thinking, it was so different from a traditional Bullseye gun. Good ideas can be obtained from many sources, even Bullseye. I wasn't trying to start anything but I have tremendous respect for Bullseye shooters. I'm a big Brian Zins fan.

I shot bullseye for a few years, and to do well is tough!

Bullseye, trap, and skeet were what I did when I started shooting. All of which are repetitive, but, require concentration.

Even though I'll occasionally shoot all three, I now prefer USPSA, IDPA, multi-gun, and sporting clays, because of the variety. Even when you think you know how you are going to shoot a USPSA stage, before the buzzer goes off, sometimes your plan changes. :surprise:

I've often thought a fixed bbl pistol, should be able to be made less expensive than a 1911/2011 style, with better accuracy, but, I've never actually seen where anybody had built one in a centerfire.

That's what I was wondering, could this idea be used in an area other than Bullseye. Could you use this idea and transform a Trubor?

you need a more accurate open gun?

MODS,

Maybe this should be moved to the What I Like section or What I Hate.

I just thought it was an innovative idea for an open gun that might provide some inspiration. The barrel is like a 41 and the slide has half the mass for low recoil and high accuracy.

No disrespect at all. It's just that even for me 10 seconds is an eternity. I have watched plenty of bullseye matches at our club and I just don't see how that would help a USPSA shooter any more than practicing on real USPSA targets under realistic time constraints. I'm not knocking the games you play but they still make me drowsy.

Oh Sorry! I hadn't realized this was a USPSA only forum.

Well, it is in the Open pistol section of a predominantly USPSA forum.

I really just thought it was an interesting open gun design, using out of the box thinking, it was so different from a traditional Bullseye gun. Good ideas can be obtained from many sources, even Bullseye. I wasn't trying to start anything but I have tremendous respect for Bullseye shooters. I'm a big Brian Zins fan.

I shot bullseye for a few years, and to do well is tough!

Bullseye, trap, and skeet were what I did when I started shooting. All of which are repetitive, but, require concentration.

Even though I'll occasionally shoot all three, I now prefer USPSA, IDPA, multi-gun, and sporting clays, because of the variety. Even when you think you know how you are going to shoot a USPSA stage, before the buzzer goes off, sometimes your plan changes. :surprise:

I've often thought a fixed bbl pistol, should be able to be made less expensive than a 1911/2011 style, with better accuracy, but, I've never actually seen where anybody had built one in a centerfire.

That's what I was wondering, could this idea be used in an area other than Bullseye. Could you use this idea and transform a Trubor?

you need a more accurate open gun?

My open guns are accurate enough, but, no more accurate than my old, $200 Ruger .22, or, my Marvel, .22 conversion.

I would like to see an inexpensive, accurate open gun, also, the same pertains to limited.

If somebody had a fixed bbl, with sights/optics mounted on it, you wouldn't have to worry about bbl/slide fit for accuracy.

• 5 weeks later...

Fixed barrels and major power factors don't work out too well in pistols. You have to keep the slide and barrel locked together until the pressure drops to a safe level and the extraction can start. The fixed barrel major guns that I have shot where very sharp recoiling and snappy. I have done some experimentation with fixed barrels too looking for more accuracy but didn't find it. When you look at a fixed barrel blow back 9mm say a Tec9 as an example it uses a very heavy bolt (usually about 1lb) to keep the action closed until the pressure drops. That heavy bolt running back and forth makes a hard to control pistol but in a full auto sub gun not too bad.

AFAIK nothing has come along better than the Browning tilting barrel design or variations of it for our use. It looks to me that the Dragon gun works because of the light loads and the porting of the barrel, I'm sure there are some other tricks in there but I haven't seen inside one. I use a slide that looks something like that in my Bianchi guns but the barrel still links down.

Watching the video one thing that I noticed was the torque even those light loads put on the gun, even taking into consideration one handed that gun twists quite a bit. Big fat bullets. I'd say that shooting the Dragon would feel quite a bit softer than the normal bullseye 1911 with the scope on the slide.

I built a Commander 45 with a Hybrid barrel for a friend a few years ago and I remember it really shot soft, very loud but soft. It also has a tasco optima red dot on the slide, my friend used it as his entry pistol while working for a drug task force strange as that sounds. I may see if he's around and shoot that thing again to see how it compares to the Dragon in the video.

A fixed barrel blowback design might have some applicability in Bianchi Cup and Steel Challenge guns. IIRC, back in the day, there were some folks running some sort of blowback conversions on 1911 frames (not the more recent conversion...Avenger?). I think some steel guns were running loads so light that folks were removing one of the upper locking lugs on 1911s to get them to run.

• 4 years later...

I figured I'd bring this back from the dead as I just got to shoot one of these Masaki Dragon guns tonight!  It's actually a pretty cool gun.  In comparison to my more typical .45acp wadgun with a slide-mounted Ultradot, it felt very different.  Recoil was noticeably less, with much less muzzle rise.  In addition, it cycled extremely fast compared to my wad gun (which mentally I knew would be the case, but I didn't realize how different it would feel till I shot it.)  The closest comparison I can think of would be an old single stack Steel Challenge open gun in .38 super with a comp and a really lightened slide.