Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it Worthwhile Buying 140mm STI Mags "Just in Case"

Lifeislarge

I have a line on some 140mm STI mags here locally. Is this something I should be stocking up on "just in case"?

Good luck with that...

Not sure what you mean by that....

I read your post to fast, missed the part about having a line on some....

I thought you were trying to get them "on the street" which is all but impossible it seems at the moment.

If you have a line on some, it sure couldn't hurt to get more.

I have 7 myself, I wish I had 3 more.

I'm not advocating the breaking of any laws....but,

During the 94 ban, it was easier to get STI mags than Glock mags. I saw many shooters buying the components from Brownells and assembling complete mags. Their argument was that no one was being prosecuted for it, and their STI's were never going to be used in a self defense shooting, so they felt safe in making technically illegal mags to compete with. Glock mags on the other hand, were available, but uber expensive. There were no blank tubes available to make mags. I don't know if a new ban would affect the availability of components parts, but the last one did not as far as STI's were concerned.

Yeah, I'm with OPENB. I remember during the 94 AWB that I purchased some STI mags but they were 10 rounders because the standard factory mags could not be sold any longer. In fact, I still have a few in a box somewhere. However, I knew a few guys who were getting parts and doing the same but let's not get into trouble here so let's end that now.

To answer your question, Yes, I would get a few if you don't have many or any at all and are planning to buy an STI in the future.

I'm not advocating the breaking of any laws....but,

During the 94 ban, it was easier to get STI mags than Glock mags. I saw many shooters buying the components from Brownells and assembling complete mags. Their argument was that no one was being prosecuted for it, and their STI's were never going to be used in a self defense shooting, so they felt safe in making technically illegal mags to compete with. Glock mags on the other hand, were available, but uber expensive. There were no blank tubes available to make mags. I don't know if a new ban would affect the availability of components parts, but the last one did not as far as STI's were concerned.

True pre-ban 94 sti tubes are different dimensions though right? I guess at the time they may have been the same pre ban dimensions, but based on the dawson catalog the dimensions of pre 94 tubes and post 94 tubes are not the same, and that is how they could be told apart. So, pre and post ban mags, whether you assembled yourself or not, were identifiably different.

Edited by seanc

I currently only have 4. I wasn't around for the last ban so I wasn't sure if it would be a problem. I also know nothing of the availability of "parts" to rebuild mine if they go south in the future. I'm pretty much set for everything else that might occur unless there's a total ban on hi-cap stuff with no grandfather clause, in which case I'll be stuck with a bunch of AR shit that's worthless to anyone but the criminals. I'm hoping to make USPSA a lifelong endeavor and would rather have some spares if need be in the future. Hell, I don't even know how long the average lifespan of a mag tube is. Springs and followers sure but the tubes??? Anyone???

Edited by Lifeislarge

There are still plenty of pre '94 tubes being used today (modular, para, and caspian mags). They really don't "wear" out, but rather are damaged by heavy handed tuning or beings stepped on.

There are still plenty of pre '94 tubes being used today (modular, para, and caspian mags). They really don't "wear" out, but rather are damaged by heavy handed tuning or beings stepped on.

That's all I need to know. I'm such a freaking klutz that I'll end up buggering mine somehow.

Well I only have 20+ years experience and yes they do wear out. Usually they crack at the top front or back and I found that welding didn't work for me.

I have had 3 or 4 (just disccvered one, two days ago) crack over that length of time including one 170 mm. Dry fire, Round Count and dropping them on concrete is probably the biggest factor in life.

I do not want to think negatively, however if there were to be new government regulations it will most likely change the games we play because new competitors are going to need to be able to get equipment to compete, if not then truely the end is near.

True pre-ban 94 sti tubes are different dimensions though right? I guess at the time they may have been the same pre ban dimensions, but based on the dawson catalog the dimensions of pre 94 tubes and post 94 tubes are not the same, and that is how they could be told apart. So, pre and post ban mags, whether you assembled yourself or not, were identifiably different.

No one bought or assembled illegal STI mags back then... they were only buying replacement tubes to replace a damaged or destroyed mag. Then ordering extra replacement springs, followers, and basepads for their existing mags... duh ;)

So long as somebody is repairing a magazine with a new albeit slightly different tube/spring/follower/pad, a new magazine is not being created; the repairer still has just the one magazine. Perhaps it looks a bit different, but that's because it has been refurbished. So using, for example, a post ban tube to repair a preban magazine results in a magazine that looks post ban, but was original of preban ownership, and is therefore legal. That was and has been the interpretation under existing law (at least in California, AFAIK).

If you don't have enought mags to last you the rest of your life, then yes you need more. Most shooters love skimping on mags to save money, but they are consumable parts. They will and do wear out and if something does go down with a AWB I am pretty sure you will not he able to but replacement tubes anymore.