Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Steelmaster Load Suggestions

j0s3ph

• 4 weeks later...
anyone using W231 powder ?

I have tried it with 231. It will work and cycle fine . I found a slower burning powder make the comp work better and although one may want to use a powder that have on hand already , one that produced more gas gets the comp to perform.

all i have on hand is W-231..and i have looked just about everywhere for an alternate powder without any success.. anyone have any good leads of where to buy powder ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also interested in a load with 231 for the steelmaster. All I have is 231 and Titegroup, and I'm assuming the 231 would be the better choice of the two. I'd like to get my hands on a different powder, but no one has anything locally, and I'd like to avoid paying a $27.50 hazmat fee to try 1 pound of something if I could.

• 2 months later...

115gr MG JHP

8.0gr vv 3n38 (Compressed)

1.123" OAL

Asst Case (even used LC nato brass )

Asst small pistol primers

I originally made this as a minor PF load for my SVI IMM Open, which hits about 143 powerfactor. But it has been the flattest, smoothest shooting load I've put thru my Steelmaster. It really makes the comp work, and the gun stays flatter than sub-minor loads.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried out 2 of the suggested loads I got from someone on the forums.

5.2gr Autocomp - 124gr MG JHP

5.6gr Autocomp - 115gr MG FMJ

I much prefer the 115gr load - seems far flatter for whatever reason. I load to 1.150-1.160

That 5.6gr Autocomp load with the MG FMJ is awesome in the Steelmaster. I tried it, and don't think I'm going back to the 3n38.

I tried the 5.2 of WAC w/124gr MGJHP in a steel master and it shoots great. I also shot 5.4, 5.6 & 5.8, SD's in all were single digit and the groups were excellent. No reason to go faster than the 5.2 load at 1074 fps avg. I would like to try some solo 1000 loads if I can find a starting point.

I tried the 5.2 of WAC w/124gr MGJHP in a steel master and it shoots great. I also shot 5.4, 5.6 & 5.8, SD's in all were single digit and the groups were excellent. No reason to go faster than the 5.2 load at 1074 fps avg. I would like to try some solo 1000 loads if I can find a starting point.

Don't think solo will produce enough gas to work the comp. slower burning powder is your best bet. I do use solo in other loads for a different gun

Don't think solo will produce enough gas to work the comp. slower burning powder is your best bet. I do use solo in other loads for a different gun

I'm just looking for staring loads for the 9mm, The comp isn't all that effective with the light loads anyway, these are Steel loads and the comp on a SM isn't big enough for major. A friend of mine has been shooting a 38sc for years in a single stack and his loads are light and the gun hardly moves. Plus solo is supposed to be clean and soft recoiling...???? Don't know for myself so why not try. I'm looking for loads for a 9mm w/95, 115 or 124 gr jacketed bullets. I don't use lead bullets in anything. Not that they are bad I just don't play with them.

I'm just looking for staring loads for the 9mm, The comp isn't all that effective with the light loads anyway, these are Steel loads and the comp on a SM isn't big enough for major. A friend of mine has been shooting a 38sc for years in a single stack and his loads are light and the gun hardly moves. Plus solo is supposed to be clean and soft recoiling...???? Don't know for myself so why not try. I'm looking for loads for a 9mm w/95, 115 or 124 gr jacketed bullets. I don't use lead bullets in anything. Not that they are bad I just don't play with them.

I think you would be surprised how effective the comp is on the steel master. I Run HS6 at 6.3 that's a PF of about 130 . I know you can't remove the comp from the barrel but I have with other guns . I Was surprised on how effect of the comp is even with a minor load if use with enough gas. With the comp on with the Glock gun it's extremely effective.

I have been running either 4.8gr N320 under a MG 124 CMJ or 5.2 N320 under a MG 115 JHP at 1.165". Both gave me a 138-142PF and worked well. I'm going to try the above suggested load of 8.0gr 3N38 under a 115 tonight. I have found that flatter is not necessarily faster when shooting steel.