Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too soon to attend big match?

BobS761

If you have the safety stuff down go shoot that match. Some local clubs have a tendecy to get stuck in a rut and shoot the same kind of stages over and over. If thats all you shoot thats all you will ever learn. Go see what the rest of the clubs are doing, it will help you and your club.----------Larry

I shot Area 7 last year with a paddle holster and a couple of craptastic mag pouches and 2-3 matches under my belt.

1. Big matches are a shit ton of fun, they almost always have bigger more fun courses that give you more freedom to pick lines.

2. Let everyone in your squad know that you are brand new to the sport.

I had so much help from other shooters, who knowing I was new were watching me. Then at the next stage would come up during the walk through and say "do this different, keep your muzzle out of the port, keep your gun at eye level all the time when moving" I learned a ton at Area 7, whereas at local matches, I was more focused on the social aspect. I knew I wasn't going to win, so I would just squad with my friends and spend most of the time just having fun. Big matches is where you learn.

Go shoot the big match. One word of caution...do not try to take many of the tips/suggestions and use them all at once.....can you say brain overload? Use what you can and write others down to work on in the future.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

Hey ! BOBS !

Their MOTTO " Come and bring GREEN MONEY"

Just have all the right stuff and ammo, PO's em RO/RMs to have to scramble to find newbies equipment and ammo to shoot with.

GO prepaired and keep em on the paper.

Perry

My family has an average of 4 local matches under our belts. This spring there is a big match in Kentucky. Should we get more experience before shooting big matches?

B

You will learn more from a big match than you will from a small one. I say go.

Go it is! Pretty sure by then we will have another local match in as well. I don't know about other beginners, but we always feel a little self-conscious at a match, especially with getting on a squad. It's easy to throw one new guy on, but I'm sure four of us is another challenge all together!

Thanks for the encouragement!

B

My first match was the mid-Atlantic match years ago:

Let the R.O. and squad mates know you're new. They'll all help, (even helped me load my mags after dumping 4 mags at a texas star :blush: )

Watch and learn from the other guys (or ladies).

Pitch in to help with taping/pasting. That is always appreciated..

During stage walk through, ask questions, or watch how other guys plan the stage. it's always interesting to get ideas from the others around.. I don't know of anyone who ever told me to leave them alone or not respond, and I don't think I would ever discard or ignore any questions from newbie's at matches.

That and have fun!

This is my first year also. I've shot about ten matches total, three being majors. I've learned a ton more and made more friends at the majors than I have at the club matches. Like others have mentioned, let the RO's know that you are new and they'll be helpful to you. Be on the ball about pasting and resetting and everyone will be glad to help you out.

If you are able, go walk the course the day prior, that way you know where the stages are and the rough layout. It's one less thing to stress about.

Enjoy!

HI,

The bigger the better! Are you an RO? if not it would be a very good thing to get done prior if possible. In fact the whole family should take the class. That will really make you feel much more confidant. Good luck and shoot well.