Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So FNH has come out with their FNS striker-fired pistols in .40 and 9mm. Has anyone here on the BE forum shot one of these in IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge? How do they stack up against the Glocks, XDm's, and M&P Pros? I checked their current offerings on Gun Genie and noted that they don't currently have a 5" model available. Also how about accessories for this model? Any gunsmiths do work on FNS's? Also notice they come with a manual safety! How is the trigger compared to other models?

Edited by The_Vigilante

The 5" should be out soon. I prefer them over the Glocks and Caracals, but as of now, would not push them past the XDms or M&Ps. The safety may be a detraction for 3G, but it looks like it is not going to be a delete on any of the models. The trigger has potential for sure. We already have basepads and are working on other parts. Team FN (and Sevigny) have our basepads already.

The 5" should be out soon. I prefer them over the Glocks and Caracals, but as of now, would not push them past the XDms or M&Ps. The safety may be a detraction for 3G, but it looks like it is not going to be a delete on any of the models. The trigger has potential for sure. We already have basepads and are working on other parts. Team FN (and Sevigny) have our basepads already.

What about that rediculus trigger/slide issue on 4" model? When you push trigger forward you can't rack the slide until trigger is pressed again. Its the only thing that keeps me from getting this pistol. I contacted fn about it and they said its part of the design :surprise:

Is there same issue on 5" model?

Edited by e-mishka

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a FNS-9 to give it a try. going to shoot a local IDPA match this weekend if the holster and mag pouches show in time. Shooters Connection had them in stock!!! I had a FNX-40 before and while it shot well, there was no aftermarket support at all. That may change with the FNS. I can't find a FO front sight for it already.

• 3 weeks later...

My personal experience with the FNS-9 was a very fast I bought it and got rid of it because I didn't like it kinda deal. They advertised a short light trigger with an ultra-low barrel axis... The trigger was neither short, nor light. It was about 8 pounds and longer than any other factory striker fire trigger I've ever put my hands on. It was comparable to a Kahr Arms K9 trigger. And the barrel axis was about as high as a Sig P-series gun... in other words it was high... The gun was wide. You might as well try competing with a Sig P250, or a Ruger P89 as far as the FNS-9 goes imho.

Currently there is no aftermarket trigger, and I don't know of any spring kits or gunsmiths specializing in making them adequate for any competition use. They are releasing a 5" model this year that is supposed to have an improved trigger and a manual safety.

Honestly if you have the money for an FNS, you'll get alot better and more capable, easier to fire gun from a Glock, S&W M&P series, or XD. I learned something... If you don't see alot of competitors running around with one, there is usually a reason...

Now all negative stuff aside, it fired all 20 or so rounds I actually shot thru it without a hick-up, and it grouped about as good as anything else. And I didn't take much of a loss trading it off.

Here's my latest debacle with FNH and the FNS in particular as I posted on the FN Forum regarding a aftermarket FO sight. My front Trijicon night sight came dead brand new.

I got the sight from Hi-Viz and attempted to install it. I put Dawson sights in my last two XDM's with no major drama using this procedure. Used a 3" cutoff wheel to remove the old sight. Takes a steady hand, but I've done it before wih no issues. Once the sight is 90% cut thru, it collapses and you can tap it out with no resistance. Cleaned up the dovetail to remove any locktight, etc. Filed off the bottom of the new sight as recommended by almost every gunsmith to fit the dovetail. After filing for what seemd like a eternity, I realized the sight blade itself was hitting on the slide and not allowing the sight to go in. I had to file down the bottom of the sight blade to clear the slide as well as the dovetail angles on the sight itself. Finally got it in and measured with a caliper to make sure it was centered. Ended up scratching the slide up pretty good and well as beating up the sight badly. Touched up with some flat touch up paint and it will pass. Went to the range and now it shoots low/left about 3" at 15 yards. it shot perfect point of aim before. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed with this sight, I haven't figured out what I'm going to do to correct this. As a comparison, my XDM 45 shot perfect POA at the same distance with the dawson sights I installed. I know I can drift the sight to correct the left, but that sight fits so tight, I'm not looking forward to it. I had a FNX in .40 before and got rid of it because of the lack of aftermarket support for it. Great shooting gun, but if you want to compete with it your screwed. I was hoping the FNS would be better in this regard, but I guess not. And the trigger is nothing to write home about either, even after cleaning it up per this forum. I asked Rich from Canyon Creek if he would take a shot at the trigger and he declined. I'll probably send it back to FN and have them replace the sight and then sell it. It's a fine shooting pistol stock, but the lack of accessories is a deal breaker for me.

Can't wait to get my new XDM 4P 9mm from Rich....

• 2 weeks later...