Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Skipping primers

I fought the same problem for quite a while. My solution was to entirely remove the rubber hose from the primer shuttle. Haven't had a missed primer in several thousand rounds. You might give it a shot.

+1

So what is the intention of that rubber part if the press functions fine without it?

I have no idea. I have one 1050 in 40 that will only run WITHOUT the hose. My other 1050 in 38SC will only run WITH the hose.

They are both RL 1050's. The 40 press is a much older unit. It lacks the positive stop for the primer shuttle. Part # 13995

It is completely adjustable and can be threaded in or out as far as needed. The newer press you just tighten down until it stops.

Removing the rubber sleeve will allow the primer tray to move further into machine before the alignment pin repositions the tray back under the case to seat the primer. I've tried loading with and without the rubber sleeve, and for me, unfortunately, it made no difference. The tubing I use for the sleeve is a smaller OD than the part supplied by Dillon.

Rant:

I needed to load 500 9mm rounds for the wife tonight. She wanted another .05+ grains of powder, all checked WIN brass, No big deal, right?

Wrong. 2+ hours working with machine to crank out the rounds. 500 measly rounds. Crush-Jam-Crush-Jam. Cleaned, adjusted this and that, whatever could be adjusted or replaced was fiddled with.

I have another machine set up for .45, purchased with the small primer options, so I have spares for about everything. I can only make it worse.

Heck, maybe it's the batch of CCI primers.

All I know is I should only reload 9mm when I have nothing else to do that evening. Even If I have anything left of my evening, I won't feel much like doing anything else - other than posting rants.

Ken

Ken:

I ask, is the swag rod and expander adjusted correctly. It sounds like the primer pockets may be slightly undersize.

I have left the piece of hose on the primer slide and it doesn't cause me any issues.

Yup. The last change I made during the session was another 1/2 turn of the swage. The last 70 rounds loaded so you may have something there. We'll see. It did not hurt at least.

I'll be back at it shortly since I have been advised the peak of the match season is coming up and more ammo needs to magically appear.

I've loaded 85k 9mm on the thing and used to find it relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am fighting the exact same thing. I have removed the tube and it made no difference. If it means anything to you, when it happens, the primer that didn't get inserted falls out the back of the press. I am up to about 20 percent without primers loading 9mm. Argh!

latech15 - what brand of primers? When purchased, lot #?

I've about decided it's the primers. I'm using CCI 9mm LOT LO4T, bought before the panic.

Does the color of the primer's plastic tray mean anything? This lot is black. My other lots and all that I can remember were white. I've mic'ed them to compare to small rife, but I think I will measure a few hundred and see what I get. They have to be falling out for a reason.

I hand checked 250 Speer cases two days ago and ran them. I stopped after each jam or primer failure to inspect and adjust. I had close to a 20% failure across the board. 2 1/2 hours invested with nothing to show for it, other than I now hate reloading 9mm for the wife.

.45 is a dream on another 1050.

I wonder if I will end up loading 9mm on a 550.

Ken

As of this evening I have run 800 rounds in a couple sessions with no jams. This was after I changed two things.

I cleaned up the underside of the primer station retaining tab and bent it down slightly to help seat and hold the primer in the primer slide. It may have been out of shape. The plastic tab has been replaced from the parts kit previously. All the crushed primers had roughed it up.

I also installed the case feed part available from SPRSkip in this forum for .45 and other calibers. I think it helps smooth out the case feeding into the shell plate with 9mm and an old plunger spring. Smoother is better.

In addition, the machine was disassembled all the way down and I checked the bearing run out, shafts, etc. I have bit more slop where the races fit in the frame compared to my other machine and that allows more play in the main shaft, and more head movement. The bearings and shafts checked out OK.

I greased everything and rechecked the expander/swage adjustments for more support during swaging.

I ran the last five hundred rounds tonight. I had two primers crush and hit the deck, but they did not jam the machine. I also had some sideways primers, but I can live with that since it may be range brass related and if they don’t bring me to a stop, that's fine.

I'm praying (along with my wife and pets) this has returned the machine to its former self.

Ken

the cotter pin 13746 on the primer arm assembly, has some occaisional drag and causes issues on my press.

you may want to check that.

i am going to make a change on that part.

i am going to put a nice stainless pin in that area.