Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Skipping primers

I have been loading 223 on my Super 1050 and I have developed a recurring problem of it not putting a primer in the case about one every 20 or so cases. It really makes a mess because I don't know it until the powder starts spilling out of the flash hole a few stations after the powder drop. I have gone slow and made sure to go all the way to the bottom and top of the stroke. I really have no idea what I could be doing wrong.

Interestingly enough, each time that I notice the powder spilling, I look around and see the primer that is supposed to be in the case on the bench on the back right side of the press. How could they possibly be jumping out of the primer chute?

Anybody else having this issue or an idea what could be happening?

I have had this same problem. When I switched from federal to CCI primers it slowed down. I also polished the snot out of the sliding bar in the primer station. This slowed it down some more. Now I only get 1 out of 100.

Your problem might be with the primer tube.

You might need to replace the plastic piece on the end of the tube. If this piece of plastic is worn or damage it won't allow the primer to drop into the primer slide bar.

• 2 weeks later...

If the primer tube nut is too tight it will crush/damage the plastic tip on the bottom of the primer tube. Anything more than just touching the tub is too tight. When that plastic tip gets pressure on it (from the nut being snug/tight), primers are not dropped properly.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

A dirty press can cause problems too. I am experiencing that now. After 6k rounds, primers are not dripping right. Time for a thorough cleaning!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

If you changed from lg primers to small primers did you also change the primer tube to the correct one. I forgot to change the tube once and had the same problem. I was checking everything I could think of the last was did I change the tube? nope I forgot.

Most of the common problems have been highlighted, but let me go through my check list.

Is the shellplate clean, lubed properly, tightened properly?

Is the swager adjusted properly with the back up rod in place?

Is the white tab at the priming station adjusted properly?

Is the primer slide arm in the right position at the top and bottom of the toolheads travel?

Is the primer slide clean?

Is the primer magazine tube correct and the feed lips unmangled?

Is the primer punch tip clean, square, and flush?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How would one explain the improved primer feeding after removing the rubber sleeve?

I have a 2% - 3% primer crush rate currently with 9mm and CCI primers over 1000 round sessions. It used to be 1%.

In addition to the fixes mentioned in earlier posts, I've swapped "old" and "new" style SP trays and adjusted the primer slide stop. Nothing makes it much better, but a few changes made it much worse.

With the current crush rate I get a decent number jams. I think I may have reached a high 'B' or low 'A' class at clearing stoppages.

I have not removed the rubber roll pin sleeve. Might give it a try.

Ken

When I run CCI SRPs in LC 223 brass (crimped primer pockets) I get about the same crush rate, 3-4 per K. When I run Win SRPs in the same cases, I get close to none crushed.

Adjusting the primer arm to a perfect place takes some work, move it up/down in very small increments, like 1/64th inch at a time. Removing the hose just made the adjusting easier, to me the hose was causing some play that was not helping...

jj

First, check the rubber tubing on the post at the back of the primer slide. You want the part of the tubing that "touches" to always be in perfect condition, showing absolutely no wear or "denting."

You can either rotate it a bit, or buy foot of it at an auto parts store - which will last you forever.

Then with that variable removed, this is what made my 1050's priming system 100% reliable: Add or remove the .001" shims from under part# 13108, until - with the machine at rest - drop a single primer down the primer magazine tube, and it should drop into its hole in the primer slide - 10 times in a row.

be

Then with that variable removed, this is what made my 1050's priming system 100% reliable: Add or remove the .001" shims from under part# 13108, until - with the machine at rest - drop a single primer down the primer magazine tube, and it should drop into its hole in the primer slide - 10 times in a row.

be

+1 on this too, as well as polish the primer pocket in the slide with a dremel. And make sure the slideway is nice and smooth too. Mine had a burr on it from the casting.

I fought the same problem for quite a while. My solution was to entirely remove the rubber hose from the primer shuttle. Haven't had a missed primer in several thousand rounds. You might give it a shot.

+1

So what is the intention of that rubber part if the press functions fine without it?

I fought the same problem for quite a while. My solution was to entirely remove the rubber hose from the primer shuttle. Haven't had a missed primer in several thousand rounds. You might give it a shot.

+1

So what is the intention of that rubber part if the press functions fine without it?

I can just speculate, but maybe as a shock absorber or some kind of dampening effect? I think of it like my appendix, was causing pain, took it out to remove the pain and wondered what it did in the first place.