Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using mild steel bi metal bullets for practice? Read this.

Alaskapopo

Which is steel bullets are not good for your barrel.

I agree, but they are good for you wallet. :)

I disagree that it was eye opening as as nothing new was learned and existing knowledge wasn't used to make the "study" more useful as far as the reliability portion goes. (edit: maybe I misunderstand "eye opening". If it means "brought attention to pre-existing knowledge", then I agree with that)

Again no not when your paying for new expensive Stainless barrels every 3k. I am getting 3K because stainless barrels generally have about half the life of a chrome lined barrel. They were getting 6K out of the chrome lined barrels so 3K is probably what you would get out of a stainless barrel. One poster here in Finland talked about having bullets tumble from his stainless barreled gun at around 4K. A new $300 to $600 barrel every 3K is not better on your wallet. As for eye opening a lot of people falsely have been reporting that bi metal bullets like those from Wolf are just fine on your barrel. Which this proved was completely false.

Pat

I think we're more or less on the same page. The only disagreement is that I think that those with $600 barrels would not consider steel jacketed ammo in the first place for accuracy reasons, so I don't think that case applies to this subject... If they are happy with the accuracy they get from bottom of the barrel ammo, they obviously are not making good financial decisions in the first place because they wasted money on an expensive barrel that they don't need for their application.

I would bet that most of us practice with our three gun rifle at least to some degree. I use a .22 trainer for a lot of that practice. I don't know many people who have a chrome lined gun for practice so they can shoot steel ammo. I understand the steel is cheaper but its just not worth it in my opinion especially since you can reload for even less.

Pat

$225 / 1000 for bi-metal jacket ammo = $675.00

$350 / 1000 for brass ammo = $1050.00

1050 - 675 = $375.00 which is just a little more than a new barrel.

Essentially, it's a wash $ wise.

A full reloading setup isn't cheap, not everyone has a place for one, etc.

The tools to change out a barrel are cheap in comparison but it's annoying to change a barrel every few thousand rounds. All in all, it comes down to the fact that $ wise and time wise, it will eventually be a wash.

What it comes down to is each shooter has and does their own things which may or may not be successful.

Edited by GorillaTactical

While I tend to agree with the above, in a LGS a couple of days ago, they had marked up the Wolf .223 from something (labels partially torn off) to $20.00 per 20. If that is anything normal, then the price comparisons have changed drastically in the last month or so.