Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI Basepads

partyboy424

I finally got a chance to test out the new Taran Tactical Basepad for the M&P. I have 6 of the Taylor Freelance pads. 3 in aluminum and 3 in Brass. (both tested in 40 S&W)

Pros and cons of Taylor pads.

+The brass pads make a very noticeable difference on felt recoil

+ So far the pads themselves have been very sturdy (It's winter so they get bounced off of indoor concrete ranges

- Serious modifications needed to get the advertised amount of extra rounds

- Issues with non and modified followers hanging up

- 20 rounds is not reloadable

- The metal piece that holds on the basepad is terrible and bends causing feed issues

- Tools needed to remove

Pros and cons of TTI pads

+ Cheaper than the Taylor pads

+ Tooless installation (uses a pin that simply pushes up or down)

+ 20 rounds easily reloadable!

+ No modifications needed whatsoever, fits tight unlike the Taylor Pads

+ Anodizing in multiple colors (I can't shoot well, but I look great)

- A weight that seems in between the aluminum and brass Taylor Pads, I hope they make a run in Brass.

- Untested design (for the M&P at least) so I'm not sure of the longevity of the pad.

These pads are a no brainer, I just ordered 3 more and hope that the construction holds up well. The Taylors are now my dedicated dry fire and indoor pads. The TTI's are what I will be taking to a match.

I will be messing around next week with trying to get a 21st round in. Cha-Lee has a mod he does with Bolen followers (coincidentally this company is now owned by TTI) and Grams springs. I have those on order from CPWSA (Excellent vendor with great customer service)

http://tarantactical...duikos4ps3ve5r6

post-39161-0-70515700-1357701620_thumb.j

post-39161-0-12920700-1357701644_thumb.j

Edited by partyboy424

I talked to Taran about making some in Brass, also 170's, and I think it will happen just not sure when. We should have our stock of TTI extensions in soon.

Edited by kend

Yeah, I talked to Kyle about the 170's, he said if these sold well that he would debate doing a run of them. I just ordered everything to make an Open M&P (from SSS Ken, excellent service from you guys as well) So, I hope it works out and they end up making them. So far from the testing I've had with the 140's it's looking like I'd be first in line for Brass and/or 170's.

Edited by partyboy424

Got the Grams springs/followers in and Bolin springs/followers. Bolin springs were too wide to work and the Grams followers aren't any smaller than modified S&W followers and would still need material taken off of the back. With the Bolin Follower and Grams spring, like Cha-Lee I was able to get 20 in the TF's and it is reloadable. Unfortunately It doesn't seem to make the 20th round any easier with the TTI pads, I'm sure once the springs break in it will, but there's no way I would ever try to force a 21st round in there. The mag would definitely swell pretty bad. Since I have it, I'll probably add the set screw like Cha-lee so I have one 20 round mag for starts during the winter on concrete with the TF's, but leave the rest at 19 rounds. For summer on dirt and matches, all of the TTI's already hold 20 and are reliable.

I think that Brass base pads may not be a good idea for long life of the magazine tube. The extra weight of the base pad will put a lot of stress on the mag tube runners that engage the base pad. I found this out the hard way when I made some dedicated Limited 10 magazines for my EAA Witness Limited. I used the 140mm base pads and put 1.5oz of lead weight inside the bottom of the base pad to increase its weight so it felt more like a 20 round magazine while shooting. These worked good for a while but all of them eventually broke off a mag tube runner on one side or the other due to the extra stress put on them by the heavy base pad.

These were EAA magazines so maybe they were more prone to runner breakage verses the S&W magaiznes? But either way I think its better to add weight to the frame verses the magazine if you want to increase the weight of the gun to offset the felt recoil. A brass magwell and tungsten guide rod will help a lot for increasing the frame weight.

Edited by CHA-LEE

For those of you running the TF base pads, how are you cleaning them between stages. Before I got them, I was shooting limited-10 and popping off the stock pads and running a brush through them was a snap. I'm kinda weary of unscrewing them to run a brush through.

Its always best to disassemble and clean the mags you drop during a stage run. To make the TF mags easier to "Service" you can cut notches in the bottom of the retainer plate holes. That way all you have to do is loosen the retraining screws a little bit then slip the retaining plate upwards to remove. At least this way the screws stay in the base pad and are not wondering off or getting lost in the middle of the mag cleaning process.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen one of the M&P basepads in person, but I'm thinking of picking some up.

How does that pin hold the pad in place? Is it just pressure fit? Is there a chance of it letting go when the mag is dropped?

You can lock the pin in place with the alleen screw or leave it loose were you can just push it up and down to get the pad off. I have TF and TTI and the TTI are much better in my opinion.

Edited by Ricky316

When you say you get 20 in with the TTI pads what spring are you using and did you trim the follower? I used the Wolff springs that I bought with my TF pads and still only get 19 easily I can cram the 20th in there but it is very tight.

I have TF and just received TTIs to replace them. I will go forward with that plan after checking out the TTIs. Quicker disassembly is the reason I ordered the TTIs. I'm using the ISMI spring that came with the TF. I get 23 in mine for 9mm, and I'm comfortable that it will reload just fine. With TF I could only get 22.

The TTIs will clearly be fast to disassemble compared to the TF. As Ricky said, there is an small allen set-screw that you can snug to lock the push-pin in place. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to snug down the screw or not. It feels pretty secure as shipped.

Depending on how hard they hit the ground, even snugged down that pin can still pop out enough to allow the basepad to come off, but I’ve never had the pad actually come off, it would have to hit the ground and then get kicked or something. Also, since these go on opposite the way the TF’s do, trying to take it off can get hung up on the spring. Simple way around this is to just push in the follower while you pull it back and it will pop right off.

Ordered three more on Saturday at 1:30pm from work (have two more mags and keeping one for a backup) They were in the mailbox at 1pm Monday. These guys shipped them out from CA on a weekend and got them to me on Monday in MA. That is so far the best service I have ever had from any firearms accessories company. Can't recommend them enough.