Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL

tires2burn

The OAL listed is simply the OAL they used for their tests with that specific bullet. Thus, their pressure data is specific to that OAL in the pistol (barrel) that was used for testing. OAL can vary depending on bullet nose length and shape and as a function of what will fit in a magazine or the chamber and what will feed reliably. Usually the OAL is within the range that most people will use for that bullet.

. Its kinda confusing sometimes.

We have Experts here who can sort it all out for you - drop us a note,

tell us which bullet, powder, charge you're thinking of, and someone

here has already tried it :surprise: They'll tell you Everything you want to

know about that bullet, and its OAL. :cheers:

Is this a great chat group, or what??

OK High-Power Joe here goes.

Target/Plinker round:

This will be my starting point. I will adjust from there. Feel free to comment or recommend.

Berry's 115 gr. rn., Universal - 4.0 gr., 1.150 OAL

Still need more info. What gun for starters. :) I have never used universal clays so I'll let the others chime in on that part of it. For plinking the berry's will be fine. Try some 124's next time though. They will be a little less snappy than 115's in any given load FWIW. As for oal make sure the 1.15 will fit in your mags and chamber in your gun without touching the rifling. I would recommend loading only a handful at a time for testing purposes to make sure all is well with the gun and mags..

A handful for testing purposes is the plan. Then build up from there to fit each different pistol, Sig 938 and Sig 2022. Had considered 124 gr., but factory 115's run fine out of each. Explain what you mean by a little less snappy? The 1.150 is simply based on fit and function of the factory loads I've shot.

I don't think I made my question clear. I will try again. In my hand book it will say for any given load a certain OAL. Some books will state the minimum OAL and others will give the max. As in Hogdon data center for a 115 gr LRN it says COL 1.100. Is that the length for the finished bullet or the recommended minimum length?

I don't think I made my question clear. I will try again. In my hand book it will say for any given load a certain OAL. Some books will state the minimum OAL and others will give the max. As in Hogdon data center for a 115 gr LRN it says COL 1.100. Is that the length for the finished bullet or the recommended minimum length?

Still not real clear sorry. In the example you give that is the oal they used to develop that load. It's neither min or max.

Snappiness is a subjective feeling from a fired round. You have snappy on one end and sluggish or a push on the other. 115's will be snappy as they take more powder to move that light bullet to a given speed. A 147 on the other hand will take less powder and create a less snappy feel in the gun. A 124 is in the middle and thought to be just right by many.

Really, you would have to load some to see what I'm talking about. But either way if you are just plinking it won't matter much.

Understood on the snappiness. I didn't mean to detract from the OP, I too am looking for a little clarity on a good OAL. Could I assume that since I'm trying to build a specific load, for a specific gun that my OAL should be based solely on how it fits in the barrel? How close to the rifling?

Still not real clear sorry. In the example you give that is the oal they used to develop that load. It's neither min or max.

Snappiness is a subjective feeling from a fired round. You have snappy on one end and sluggish or a push on the other. 115's will be snappy as they take more powder to move that light bullet to a given speed. A 147 on the other hand will take less powder and create a less snappy feel in the gun. A 124 is in the middle and thought to be just right by many.

Really, you would have to load some to see what I'm talking about. But either way if you are just plinking it won't matter much.

My Lee book says the min OAL is 1.100 so I load to a 1.125 to be safe' dropping the powder in between the min & max.. The ammo runs good in all my 9's.

They did their tests with the bullet seated to 1.100 inches. (Post #2 answered this question.) Therefore, their pressure data applies only to that bullet loaded to that length and as tested in their gun/barrel. Seating the bullet deeper will increase the pressure, seating it longer will decrease the pressure.

SAAMI lists the minimum OAL for the 9mm Luger as 1.000 inches. The maximum SAAMI length is 1.169 inches. You can load shorter or longer than those lengths if you want. However, once you get to 1.000 you're most likely to have feeding problems. If you load longer than 1.169, it might not fit in the magazine. Also, how long you load the bullet depends on whether it will fit in the chamber. Different bullet nose lengths will determine what will fit in your chamber.

See the link below for practical information about OAL.

http://38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html