Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

135 gr Bayou and Titegroup

Blue Jacket

TG is a terrible choice for moly bullets in my experience... Way too hot burning, lots of smoke. I use WST 4.0 1.150 oal, low smoke, clean burn, accurate and great recoiling nice and soft. 1000 fps out of my G34 and Spartan 9mm.

Edited by Boxerglocker

When I first started using Donnie's bullets (one of the first here in the Houston area) I had first talked with Jerry M at the LA state match about the bullets, esp out of a smith 625. Jerry was using Titegroup over a 230 gr Bayou.....for what it is worth.....and it was the "only thing I shoot when not shooting jacketed" per Jerry.

• 1 year later...

TG is a terrible choice for moly bullets in my experience... Way too hot burning, lots of smoke. I use WST 4.0 1.150 oal, low smoke, clean burn, accurate and great recoiling nice and soft. 1000 fps out of my G34 and Spartan 9mm.

Which would be a problem if it was moly.

Bayou Bullets are not moly coated bullets. They are coated but not with a moly coating. The whole purpose of the coating is to shield the barrel from leading and excessive smoking. Unless you scrape the coating off during reloading you shouldn'the get that horrible smoke screen affect.

I haven't had good luck with the new HiTek coating with Titegroup. Still a lot of smoke.

I run BBI 135's and titegroup no issues. Are you shaving the coating off when you seat them?

I think I don't. I generally bell the case mouth very wide, with a separate die (station #2), just small enough to fit into the powder funnel (station 3), then seat (station 4), then taper crimp (station 5).

Currently, I'm finishing up a run of Xtreme plated 45acp with TG. I have some BBI HiTek 200 SWC to load next. I normally use WST with my 45acp HiTek coated loads, but I will give it another try.

I want the TG to work, it is easy to find.

I use BB and now have switched to SNS coated bullets. The SNS are more uniform and accurate than BB. I use a 147 grain SNS with 3.5 grains of Solo 1000 powder. It produces an excellently accurate round with a very clean barrel. Try it!

I use BB and now have switched to SNS coated bullets. The SNS are more uniform and accurate than BB. I use a 147 grain SNS with 3.5 grains of Solo 1000 powder. It produces an excellently accurate round with a very clean barrel. Try it!

Are you referring the Bayou Bullets, or BBI? Just curious. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm shooting 125gr Blue Bullets over Titegroup. No more smoke than shooting jacketed.

Where are you guys finding Titegroup? I have less than a pound left. I either need more or a better alternative.

Thought of trying 700X which I bought to load .38 spl

I haven't had good luck with the new HiTek coating with Titegroup. Still a lot of smoke.

I run BBI 135's and titegroup no issues. Are you shaving the coating off when you seat them?

I use 135g Bear Creeks with 3.4g of Titegroup with an OAL of 1.155.

I get a PF of 130 and a SD of 8 with this load. It is not anywhere near smokey as some of my lead loads.

It is an accurate and soft shooting load for me.

I also like the Bear Creek 147g bullet as well.

Edited by himurax13

• 1 month later...

My load is 3.3gr with 135gr bayou bullets at 1.120" and it is very accurate, shoots consistently over 125PF, usually around 128PF on average, with most bullets over 940fps (the bottom line is 926fps).

That said, I had a 125.8PF at Area 2 because one of the 3 rounds was a freak. I am confident the 3 best out of 6 would have registered closer to 130PF.

The gun is an X-Calibur.

I think that TiteGroup is somewhat heat sensible and that I may have to add .1gr during the Arizona summer.