Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super Swage 600

I just started processing about 5k pieces of 223 brass. This is my first time doing it and its not going so well. I have to swage all 5k pieces, but this is a real pita!! I have seen mods for the Super Swage 600 where a string and rubber band is used. Looks like a hell of an idea..

What I would like to know is, what length is the string that you guys are using on the Super Swage? Any..... And I mean ANY time savings will help :)

I never really had much luck with that mod. I found that mounting the SS on a piece of 2x4 then mounting that combo in a vice vertically with the handle up is faster. What I do is put my brass to be swaged in a box and shake it so the brass is base down, then grab several pieces of brass by using an "ok" gesture with my right hand, with the brass bases by my thumb and forefinger and the case mouths oriented towards my little finger.

I then put a piece of brass on the guide with my right hand and push it closed, I operate the swage with my left hand, tip the guide open with my left hand that's holding the brass and remove the brass with my right hand and start the process over. You're using gravity to your advantage. It goes faster than it takes to describe it. Once you get use to it, you can get a good pace going, with out worrying about string and spring tension.

I found my 1050 is much faster!

• 2 weeks later...

I am just wanting some clarification...I do not need to swage non military brass correct?

Once I get my small rifle case feeder plate I will begin loading 223, I have about 4k of RP, Fed, and Winchester, so I believe I will not need a swager?

I like the backboard!

CORRECT, you DONT swage Military Brass.

I am just wanting some clarification...I do not need to swage non military brass correct?

Once I get my small rifle case feeder plate I will begin loading 223, I have about 4k of RP, Fed, and Winchester, so I believe I will not need a swager?

I like the backboard!

ARE YOU MESSING WITH ME?

I like the backboard!

dam, that was funny, even thou it may not have been meant to be...

non-mil brass, FOR THE MOST PART, does NOT need to run thru your 600 or ground out with a drill.

you will find, however, that some commercial brass does have a light swage that may need to be removed. Mic it and see, look at it under magnification and try to find the swage ridge, etc...

I have found in the past that FC brass needs to be DE-swaged, but when you do, it will have a tendency to spit primers when shot in an AR. So I have resorted to giving my FC brass that I run across to a friend that has a baker's dozen of bolt action 223 rifles. He loves the stuff.

So the short answer is, if its commercial brass, try it, if its tough to seat a primer correctly, then try DE-swaging a few and check them. Using different primers may also help.

jj

LOL LMMFAO!! I totally dropped the ball on this one.. I mistyped it, left out a word or two.. Just listen to what "Rigger" said.

ARE YOU MESSING WITH ME?

I like the backboard!