Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 Lightweight Barrels ?

BOOST

Currently building my second AR. Looking to get a 14.5 inch or a 16 inch barrel mid-length. I'm looking into getting a lightweight but guys locally here don't seem to use it. They feel that it is not durable enough. just wondering if it's true.

The shorter barrels have more of a recoil impulse. The softest shooting guns have a rifle length gas system. I try a light contour JP barrel with a 18 inch barrel and a rifle gas if you want a lighter gun. That is what I am going with.

Pat

The shorter barrels have more of a recoil impulse. The softest shooting guns have a rifle length gas system. I try a light contour JP barrel with a 18 inch barrel and a rifle gas if you want a lighter gun. That is what I am going with.

Pat

My current 14.5 cabine length recoils a lot more than my brother's 14.5 mid-length with the same SureFire brake . With his rifle, my splits are cut in half on same target size/distances..

I'm just wondering If anyone here knows by experience if the lightweight barrels are durable enough or has a short life?

Or looses accuracy when hot?

Durability has nothing to do with barrel length. Losing accuracy when hot is an issue of a thinner barrel or thicker not shorter or longer.

Pat

You're right. I don't think I was asking about length though.

Durability is not an issue with the light weight barrels as long as they are a quality barrels. You can have an issue with barrel heating and loss of accuracy. I personally prefer my light weight BCM over my standard weight BCM barrel. Both are mid length gas systems but the light weight is just more fun to shoot. I would recommend it as my next build will be another light weight.

Edited by Prariedog

Durability has nothing to do with barrel length. Losing accuracy when hot is an issue of a thinner barrel or thicker not shorter or longer.

Pat

You're right. I don't think I was asking about length though.

Sorry my reading comprehension was off that day.

pat

Food for thought. It's not much to go on, and the term "combat accuracy" was used, but I just saw it the other day. LOL

https://plus.google....ckygunner/posts

Lightweight AR-15 Barrels Are Awesome

The earliest AR-15 prototypes, as well as the initial military models of the design such as the M16 and M16A1, all came with very lightweight barrels. While the military has since moved away from lightweight barrels, civilians and law enforcement officers are often free to choose what's right for their needs - which, in some cases, might include a return to the smaller diameter barrels of yore.

These barrels, which offer significant weight savings over thicker barrels, often get a bad reputation as being inaccurate either once they heat up or even when they're cold. In my experience, these reports are often exaggerated. All barrels will become less precise and accurate as they heat up. While it's true that lightweight barrels heat up faster than heavier barrels, they also cool down faster. Being smart about the rate at which you use up a limited supply of ammunition should never be far from your mind.

However, even when you fire several magazines through a lightweight barrel at the cyclic rate, any decent example will maintain combat-acceptable accuracy. For real-world use, this is all one would need. If shooting the smallest groups possible in a rapid manner is the goal, a different type of barrel would probably be a better choice.

However, saving half a pound or a pound at the end of the rifle - or at a point significantly forward of the center of gravity, which is normally close to the magazine well - can make a huge difference in terms of keeping the user from becoming exhausted after carrying the rifle all day. Limiting physical exhaustion has a positive effect on the user's ability to put rounds on target exactly where they need to go. Sometimes this effect can be more important than the base level of accuracy which the barrel is capable of providing.

So if your needs, or potential needs, involve lots of physical activity with a rifle, consider a lightweight profile barrel, along with other lightweight components.

Edited by DonovanM