Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on shotgun barrel "porting"

I have a Remington Versa Max tactical model that came with a cylinder choke as the factory standard choke that has some holes cast into the choke. The choke also has some standoff teeth for door breaching. The barrel is not ported in any way. At a recent 3-gun match operating under IMGA rules, I was shooting in "Tactical Ops" and some were saying I should be in open class because of "porting". The barrel has to be ported as I understand it to qualify as true porting to throw one into open class. I sure would appreciate any and all comments to help me clarify what division I need to claim to use this particular set up. I really don't want to have to buy yet another cylinder bore choke if I don't have to.

Thanks for any and all advice!

"While they are rather ineffective, porteds choke will put you in OPEN. Them's the rules. "

While open it is! Ineffective they ISN'T!! Shame on you Pat for spreading miss-information! The porting on the end of chokes isn't for "taming" the recoil of the shotgun, what it is for, is to help in the consistent stripping of the wad from the shot collum giving better patterns at longer ranges of which they do VERY WELL!! and to help keep the wad from being blown through the center of the pattern by excess gas at the muzzle. ( Note: no shame on Pat, but I would figure a shotgunner of Pats caliber would have known this...and My one time a year I get to gig him for it is rare!)

Edited by kurtm

• 1 month later...

"While they are rather ineffective, porteds choke will put you in OPEN. Them's the rules. "

While open it is! Ineffective they ISN'T!! Shame on you Pat for spreading miss-information! The porting on the end of chokes isn't for "taming" the recoil of the shotgun, what it is for, is to help in the consistent stripping of the wad from the shot collum giving better patterns at longer ranges of which they do VERY WELL!! and to help keep the wad from being blown through the center of the pattern by excess gas at the muzzle. ( Note: no shame on Pat, but I would figure a shotgunner of Pats caliber would have known this...and My one time a year I get to gig him for it is rare!)

Why are ported chokes allowed in open division and not the other divisions.

Why are ported chokes allowed in open division and not the other divisions.

USPSA - Shotgun rules Appendix D2 : Compensators - No; Ports: No

Multigun rules Appendix A3 references shotgun rules

I don't have a copy of the IMA rules...

This is what I thought "a rule without a reason"

That is my question. Why are Ported Chokes banned in the other divisions.

Is the answer to give more advantage to Open shooters?

They are an advantage to the shooter (open or not), however slight that may be. So to prevent an equipment race the rule has been made.

Because they provide an advantage. Just like comps and optics do in Open. Why would they not be in Open?

That is my question. Why are Ported Chokes banned in the other divisions.

Is the answer to give more advantage to Open shooters?

Yeah. To try and even out the equipment in Lim/Tac Ops. No comps/optics on the SG, limited round counts. The ported chokes are treated like a comp. The purpose isn't to provide additional advantage to the Open shooters but to try and allow the Tac Ops guys to compete without having to pay to cut holes in their barrels or buy additional equipment.

• 1 month later...