Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 Nordic Components Tactical Shotgun Championship

We are excited for this match and we know you are too. Everything is progressing well in our preparation for this match. The match is currently full with 20 hopefulls in waiting list. We are proud of how this match has grown and we promise you another great match for this year. More and more sponsors are coming on board as well. Some of our bigger sponsors include: Carbon Arms, DPMS, X-Rail, Lancer, MFR Targets, Ergo Grips, Freedom Munitions, Brownells, FNH, AP Customs, TACCOM, Mills Fleet Farm, and Cheaper Than Dirt.

Registration Check-In will be at the range on Friday July 26th from 3:00PM-7:00PM and on Saturday July 27th from 6:30AM to 7:15AM. The opening ceremony will be a 7:15AM. Shooting starts at 8:00AM both days. Competitors will be allowed to walk the stages on Friday after they had checked in, but please bear in mind that the match staff will be shooting the match on that day. There will be a food shack at the range for competitors to buy lunch.

Currently, the round count we have is at 275 birdshots MINIMUM. Largest size of birdshot allowed is 7.5 shot. Due to the restriction imposed on the Del-Tone/Luth Range (same restriction that caused the shutdown of the legendary and old-time favorite DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge), we will not be using slugs or buckshot at this match. The imposed restriction, which requires “no open sky” on any type of ammo besides birdshots, makes it difficult to design a good stage. So we made the decision to forgo the slugs and buckshot in exchange for more fun and challenging stages. Don’t be fooled with the no slugs or buckshot decision. Rest assured that we are going to make some of the shots very challenging. Know your shotgun’s bird shot patterning with your chokes. There’ll be some longer distance shots mixed in with short distance shots, and definitely some tight shots in between or next to no-shoots or hard covers.

As a reminder, if any registered shooters need to cancel out of the match, they will need to do so by the June 27th deadline for a full refund. After the June 27th deadline, refunds on any cancellations will only be given if a replacement shooter from the waiting list is able to take their place. Thanks for your understanding.

As we get closer to the match date, more information regarding the match will be sent via email and the TSC website http://tacticalshotgunchampionship.com/. If you have any questions, please contact me or Jay.

We look forward to seeing you at the match.

Jay Schmitt – Match Director
jay@mn3gungroup.org

Jomar Villamor – Registrations & Co-Match Director
jomar-mn3gg@gmail.com

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The match will be well underway by this time in 2 weeks. We have the additional gold sponsor of JoeBob Outfitters on board and Surefire as a silver sponsor, thank you to them.

As in Jomar's post. There will be food available for lunch at the range.

If your going to forget to pack either sunscreen or bugspray, forget the sunscreen.

The stages are designed and I think we have a great mix of challenges in line for the shooters. We have 5 people involved in the stage designs this year. There will be 14 stages, the smallest one consisting of 7 rounds and the largest will be 34 rounds.

If you have questions please contact us. There are contact phone numbers listed on the website.
http://tacticalshotgunchampionship.com/

Those who are shooting, see you in a couple weeks.

Jay Schmitt – Match Director
jay@mn3gungroup.org

Jomar Villamor – Registrations & Co-Match Director
jomar-mn3gg@gmail.com

Getting closer!

How many stages are we shooting this year?

We have 14 stages this year. And that includes a stage that you wanted that will test a shooter's reload speed with which ever shell holder system they may have. We have at least one stage where targets that can be shot in different order, depending on which the shooter believe is faster and better for them. We have a stage that will test your fast decision making and memory skills, and we have a stage that may make some people realize that they are cluster phobic after all. We got some things planned that will challenge you in a way we don't believe or have seen done before.

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

In our continuing effort to make this match fair and eliminate as much confusion that will cause arbitrary arguments, we've updated our match rules to include:

8. Stage Procedures

8.1 Each stage or course of fire will have a written description on the stage procedure.

8.2 Unless otherwise stated in the stage description, all start positions will be standing on the designated start point, facing down range with both hands on the shotgun loaded (round chambered) to division capacity which is to be pointed down range at the low ready.

8.2.3 “Low Ready” is defined as the stock of the shotgun against the competitors shoulder with the muzzle pointed down range and downward at a 45 degree angle or at a designated physical point.

8.3 Unless otherwise stated in the stage description, no ammo shall be held in the competitors hand at the starting position or pre-staged anywhere in the stage.

We're proud to announce that we picked up a few more sponsors to include Joe Bob Outfitters, Crucible Arms, XS Sight Systems, and Scheels.

We also had a few sponsors that upped their level of sponsorships. Those include AP Customs USA, Mill Fleet Farm, and TACCOM.

Our list of sponsors continue to grow even as we are just less than two weeks away from the match. The website links to our sponsors can be found at our match website at http://tacticalshotgunchampionship.com/sponsors-2013/. Make sure to thank the sponsors as they are the ones who are making our prize table very impressive and worthwhile to every competitor despite how well they finish at the match.

In our continuing effort to make this match fair and eliminate as much confusion that will cause arbitrary arguments, we've updated our match rules to include:

8. Stage Procedures

8.1 Each stage or course of fire will have a written description on the stage procedure.

8.2 Unless otherwise stated in the stage description, all start positions will be standing on the designated start point, facing down range with both hands on the shotgun loaded (round chambered) to division capacity which is to be pointed down range at the low ready.

8.2.3 “Low Ready” is defined as the stock of the shotgun against the competitors shoulder with the muzzle pointed down range and downward at a 45 degree angle or at a designated physical point.

8.3 Unless otherwise stated in the stage description, no ammo shall be held in the competitors hand at the starting position or pre-staged anywhere in the stage.

Good call!!!

What scoring program are you using?

What scoring program are you using?

We're using the standard straight time plus penalties scoring method for all the stages except the Tom Knapp Memorial Stage. Each stage will have a point value with first place receiving the the highest point value and second place and below will receive points on a percentage basis from the first plate. The actual program I use is one I designed for and used at last year's match. It held together well and we had no complaints on the scoring.

Coolio! I just wanted to make sure if you were using Practiscore you didn't have the same issue we learned about with fixed time combined with weighted stage points that we saw at Gateway. Turns out Practiscore is great as long as you follow the uspsa scoring.

Jomar's program is tried and tested. He also runs a redundant with the main. I looked into practiscore, it was offered to us. I declined. We actually have to par time stages, the Tom Knapp stage and 1 other.

Jay

Jomar's program is tried and tested. He also runs a redundant with the main. I looked into practiscore, it was offered to us. I declined. We actually have to par time stages, the Tom Knapp stage and 1 other.

Jay

I knew if Tim Ubl could use the program successfully in 2011 you guys could do it in your sleep.

On a side note as a group we need to get Practiscore up to speed on shotgun matches. Its a great tool and I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more shot gunning in the future.

<snip>... we need to get Practiscore up to speed on shotgun matches. Its a great tool and I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more shot gunning in the future.

I'd like to see it as well.

MATCH UPDATES:

Attached are the squad assignments for the upcoming 3rd Annual Nordic Components Tactical Shotgun Championship. All the original squadding requests on the original registration forms were honored. The squadding requests were done in a priority order, with people requesting to be squadded with each other getting first picks, followed by squadding request placed in the order of when the registration forms were received. I have received numerous secondary squadding requests and some of those were honored if it did not affect the earlier requests.

The match will have 14 stages and the MINIMUM round count is 275 birdshots. Reminder that the largest size of birdshot allowed is 7.5 shot and that we will not be shooting any buckshot or slugs this year. The squad schedule is designed so that squads will start at alternating stages and will have an open stage in between. We believe that this will make the match flow smoother and will avoid back-ups. Our stages are designed for easy resetting, and with the size of the squad and only having to clear one gun after the course of fire, resetting the stage will be quick. Squads will be able to easily finish a stage and move on to the next stage.

All of our match staff are experienced shooters and RO's. Our Range Master is Brian Payne who has a very extensive match experience and is known for his passion for our sport and for his professionalism and fairness. We've also increased the number of staff that we have and did away with the imbedded RO method. Each stage will have a designated SRO that will make sure that the stages are run consistently for each and every shooter. On that note, please review and get familiar with our match rules. We want this match to be an enjoyable experience for everyone, competitors and staff alike.

Extended weather forecast for the match weekend is looking sunny with the high temps at under 80. But this is Minnesota so bring your rain gear just in case, and maybe we could use them to play a little reverse psychology on Murphy's Law. Don't forget to bring bug spray as the mosquitoes are trying to take over as our official state bird. Water will be available at each stage/area, and there will be a food shack available at the range both days for attendees to purchase lunch.

Shooter check-in will begin at the Del-Tone/Luth Range on Friday (July 26th) from 3PM to 7 PM and again on Saturday (July 27th) from 6:30AM to 7:15 AM. The range will be closed until 3PM on Friday except for the match staff who are shooting the match that day. Competitors will not be allowed to walk the stages until after 3PM and after they have checked-in. This will be a busy day for our staff as we will be adjusting the stages and shooting the match all in one day. The Opening Ceremony and Shooters' Meeting will begin at 7:15AM on Saturday. Shooting will begin promptly at 8AM both days. Shooting should wrap up on Sunday afternoon and the awards ceremony will begin shortly after. We anticipate the conclusion of the event to be late afternoon to early evening.

We’re very excited for this match and the opportunity for us to present our stages. We got at least one stage with a theme that has become quite famous, another to commemorate one of our greatest legends. We got at least one stage where targets that can be shot in different order depending on which the shooter believe is faster and better for them. Another will test your fast decision making and memory skills, and we have another that may make some people realize that they are claustrophobic after all. We got some stages and things planned that will challenge you in a way we don't believe or have seen or done before.

Our impressive line-up of sponsors already has a reflection on how impressive the prize table will be. The website links to our sponsors can be found at our match website at http://tacticalshotgunchampionship.com/sponsors-2013/. Make sure to patronize and thank the sponsors as they have provided so much to make the match worthwhile to every competitor despite how well they finish.

We’re looking forward to seeing you all very soon.

2013 TSC Squad Assignments.pdf

Nordic Components Tactical Shotgun Championship - Match Rules.pdf

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

More charcoal???

No charcoal this year, but I can find you some if you want.

We've done the charcoal stage our first and second year. It is one of the things are match have become known for. And recently, another match did the same stage. We were actually going to do away with that stage completely for this year, but after the passing of the legendary Tom Knapp, we decided to keep the stage one last year to commemorate one of the greatest exhibition shooter and ambassador to the shooting sports who was also born, raised, and died as a Minnesotan. For this year though, it will be clay birds that the shooters will be throwing up and shooting in the air, just like what Tom used when he got the world record of 10 clay birds in the air. The stage will have a set par time to hit as many birds as you can.

Now I know the scoring for a stage like this can be a subject of debate, so I'll explain it now. The stage will be worth 50 points of the 1260 possible points you can get in this match, so it is not a "make it or break it" stage. The points will be given in a percentage basis similar to how all the normal stages are scored, but instead of the fastest time getting 100% of the stage points, it'll be the most hits that will receive 100% of the stage points. 2nd place shooter and below will receive points in a percentage basis from the 1st place. If the 1st place guy gets 24 birds, he gets 50 points. If the 2nd place shooter gets 12 birds, he gets 25 points. This points system based on the percentage is the best way to evenly score a stage like this in our opinion. It's the same scoring method we used last year and we did not have any complaints.

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

I won't be at this match so the scoring certainly doesn't affect me, but....

If you want to do the thrown clay stage to honor the great Mr. Knapp, I would humbly suggest that the shooter get a bonus for throwing and breaking multiple clays—if you throw two and break both of them, maybe you get 3 points, not 2. If you throw three and break all three, you get 5 points—but if you break 2 you get 2 points. It would be kind of cool to give the shooters a reason to push for multiple birds.

Just a random thought... :)

If you want to do the thrown clay stage to honor the great Mr. Knapp, I would humbly suggest that the shooter get a bonus for throwing and breaking multiple clays—if you throw two and break both of them, maybe you get 3 points, not 2. If you throw three and break all three, you get 5 points—but if you break 2 you get 2 points. It would be kind of cool to give the shooters a reason to push for multiple birds.

I will address this. Jomar in his above post did not describe how the stage will be run or the requirements placed on the shooter. That information will be released with the stage design in the match booklet.

Jay

I will address this. Jomar in his above post did not describe how the stage will be run or the requirements placed on the shooter. That information will be released with the stage design in the match booklet.

Jay

How am I supposed to practice these stages in my backyard with you being all "cloak and dagger" n' shit :P

I need all the help I can get.....

If you want to do the thrown clay stage to honor the great Mr. Knapp, I would humbly suggest that the shooter get a bonus for throwing and breaking multiple claysif you throw two and break both of them, maybe you get 3 points, not 2. If you throw three and break all three, you get 5 pointsbut if you break 2 you get 2 points. It would be kind of cool to give the shooters a reason to push for multiple birds.

Jay

How am I supposed to practice these stages in my backyard with you being all "cloak and dagger" n' shit :P

I need all the help I can get.....

You read my mind! I am headed to Walmart to return these 5 bags of charcoal and pickup 5 boxes of clays.

Well, just to keep the suspense going...

When Tom Knapp chased after that 10 clay record, the rule was 10 clays with 10 shots, 1 shot per clay. During one of his attempts, he got two clays with one shot so it did not count.

Have fun! :devil:

Well, just to keep the suspense going...

When Tom Knapp chased after that 10 clay record, the rule was 10 clays with 10 shots, 1 shot per clay. During one of his attempts, he got two clays with one shot so it did not count.

Have fun! :devil:

Damn......guess I might as well take that bottle of super glue out of my range bag then.