Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which one Spartan or Remington R1

Ray S

Is the Remington enhanced R1 worth $150 more than the STI Spartan? I have looked at both, and the finish is much better on the Remington, but are there any other advantages of one over the other?

What are your plans for the gun? Carry, competition, plinking? I can't comment on the Remington but I shoot a Spartan for USPSA and it's a fantastic gun. I thoroughly enjoy it and would highly recommend one.

Edited by polizei1

Are you planning on changing anything on the guns? Sights, trigger, MSH, any modifications, etc. or just leaving it stock? For USPSA, I much prefer the adjustable rear sights with a FO front. Both have the FO front, but the Spartan has the adjustable rear. It appears that the R1 has serrations on the front strap, which is better than the bald Spartan frame. Also, the Remington is made in the US if that concerns you, the Spartan is made with STI internals to STI specs in the Philippians by Armscorp.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I do like STI as a company though, as they support USPSA and produce outstanding firearms.

Is the Remington enhanced R1 worth $150 more than the STI Spartan? I have looked at both, and the finish is much better on the Remington, but are there any other advantages of one over the other?

Spartan, use the excess for ammo!

Don't own either but a competition pistol needs adjustable sights.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Once you have found the ammunition that works in your pistol and you have matched your sights to its POA/POI, adjustable sights are unnecessary.

Is the Remington enhanced R1 worth $150 more than the STI Spartan?

STI makes many great pistol yet, IMO, the Spartan is not their best model. Between a Spartan and an R1 Enhanced, I would choose the Remington 100% of the time but, In that same price range, I would choose a Springfield RO over any of the previously mentioned.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I have a question on the same subject. I have a Spartan CRP enroute for USPSA. I'll bet there are some opinions on 10 round mags. I'll be working with 115 moly and 125 and 147 grain lead. What's your experience / preference in mags?

Navy Airdale

NRA

USPSA FY63917

SoFla Pistol Club

I should prolly cancel my question. Went on a search and seizure (shoulda' done that first) and found what I needed. DP tuned Metalforms are preferred by none other than Mr Latham. No doubt they'll run better than I can run them.

Edited by buckaroo45

I'm running the DP mags with the DP no-gap magwell and absolutely love them.

The only downside to the mags is that they are hard to unload when full, but that's a minor gripe because they simply work, even when very dirty. I couldn't be happier with them, highly recommended.

I have two Spartans. One in 45 and one in 9. I have had front strap checkering, trigger jobs, a custom super skinny front sight, magwells, ambi safeties, and nitro bond coatings on both. Even with all of that I am under 1k and they both run, are accurate, and look great.

I would recommend them wholeheartedly.