Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 shell plate indexing question

I recently bought a 1050 so I don't have a lot of experience using it.

Today I decided to take the head off and clean out the plate.

I did what the book said and tighen down the lock ring to contact and then backed off a 1/8th of a turn.

When I put the toolhead back on the shell plate would not index in the right place.

It would stop at a place past the holes (advanced too much counter clockwise).

It is safe to assume that since it is traveling too far that the lock ring is not tight enough?

How do I go about fixing it other than trial and error? that could take a long time.

Any words of wisdom?

Is it an easy fix and I am doing something stupid?

thanks

Try and check if the detent ball (under the shell plate) is stuck in the down position. On mine, when there is some debris, it causes the ball to stay down in the depressed position and that causes the shell plate to over-rotate and the hole for the guide pins are blocked.

Edited by HI5-O

The 1/8 turn off tight is probably a good guideline but you really want to test as you tighten. Turn it by hand and check; not so loose that it has play and just tight enough so shellplate can rotated easily and smoothly. Like HI5-O said, check to be sure the ball is moving in and out of the holes in the shellplate.

The 1/8 turn off tight is probably a good guideline but you really want to test as you tighten. Turn it by hand and check; not so loose that it has play and just tight enough so shellplate can rotated easily and smoothly. Like HI5-O said, check to be sure the ball is moving in and out of the holes in the shellplate.

Agree. 1/8 turn is only a starting point, then tweak from there.

Try and check if the detent ball (under the shell plate) is stuck in the down position. On mine, when there is some debris, it causes the ball to stay down in the depressed position and that causes the shell plate to over-rotate and the hole for the guide pins are blocked.

That was it. thanks!