Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target hit sensor, plastic, safe for rifle at any distance fairly chea

What I've done is copy a typical portable moving target. Like those from Law Enforcement Targets. However a manually operated is not what I wanted. So I added a programmable controller to drive the DC motor controller. It can run 4 different programs and has three different speeds. The problem was I wanted a target activator that would not need resetting and was not metal so it could be shot at any distance with a rifle. I tried a bunch of stuff, but finally came up with a home made shock sensor circuit that catchs the shock of the bullet passing through the plastic and then drives the output high for any amount of time you want controlled by a RC circuit. The target and stand is not cheap but should last you can order them from LETargets about $65 each. All the circuit parts were bought on ebay and about $30 bought enough stuff to build four activators. I'll post the circuit pics and link to the video.

So first use scenario will be a rifle match you start at 100 yards shoot first activator, about 3 seconds later the mover will come out run across pause and then return, both ends will be covered by no shoots. You will them move to 66 yards and shoot activator 2 and same scenario except the mover will be faster, finally 33 yards and it will be moving even faster. This way each shooter when done at the 33 yard line takes his target down and put another up and your ready for next shooter and very little walking or delay, I can program to do almost anything I want stop start shuffle etc. Also for IPSC it will work with simple switch closure, like credit card stuck in a cloths pin with two wires connected, etc. Nice part is that it will be same for each shooter and they will activate it.

video link

http://vimeo.com/53749989

password mover.

post-4565-0-67910500-1356897442_thumb.jp

post-4565-0-54093900-1356897560_thumb.jp

post-4565-0-48156500-1356897599_thumb.jp

post-4565-0-55354600-1356898322_thumb.jp

post-4565-0-35782700-1356898335_thumb.jp

I have used car alarm shock sensors, they will trigger off of a bullet going through cardboard targets. If you attach EMT to the base of the stand of a steel target they work better as you dont have a chance of a bullet passing through a hole in the target...