Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-jacketed bullets?

jkatz44

Solo 1K is one of my favorite powders. It works well in .45, .40 and 9mm with heavier bullets. I have used a ton of it with the BBI 147gr bullets, 147gr Montana Gold and Precision delta 147s. It was not quite as accurate with the 135's (in my gun) as the N320 but it still worked well. The main issue with Solo is that it varies lot to lot so you need to re-chrono each new jug. If you can swing it, buy a couple jugs of the same lot # at the same time to save the chrono work.

If you have one of the normal to faster lots it will work great with 130's, 135's or 147's. If you get a dog slow lot, you'll have a hard time stuffing enough powder in the case with a lighter bullet, but it will still be fine with 147's. For example, when I had a bunch of lot #1930 (VERY slow lot), I had to bump my previous Solo load from 3.8gr with a 147gr MG to 4.5gr to make the same power factor (around 136). The 4.5 was a nearly, or slightly compressed load but it still worked fine. I didn't try, but I don't think I would have been able to make PF with a 130. If it did, it wouldn't have much of a cushion.

Also, it's A BIT reverse temperature sensitive. It will slow down just a tad as it gets hotter. Which is why you'll want a bit of a cushion. If you settle on the 147's and don't load right at 125-126PF, I think you'll be very happy with Solo 1K. It's accurate, soft recoil impulse, burns clean and fills cases nicely so it's nearly impossible to have a double charge unless you're drunk.

WSF, to me, has a bit harsher recoil impulse. Also, it's a very fine ball powder that looks almost like titegroup which doesn't fill the case much at all. I don't know much about clays but I just got a pound and a pound of WST to experiment with. Regular clays is supposed to be capable of some pretty steep spikes in pressure though, so I would be careful.

Edited by dsmw5142

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought some Bayou 160's to try. Initially loaded with N320 3.2 grains in various OAL out of M&P Pro 5". Super soft shooting, and seemed to have grouped reasonably well. Unfortunately, wasn't able to chrono all loads that day due to weather and having some new shooters with me that needed some attention. Still, looks promising. Smell from the Gator Snot was certainly different than that of BBI or BC, but since I only shoot outdoors, wont be an issue. Smoking was about equal to what I was getting from other moly bullets.

This is my first attempt at using something as heavy as a 160gn, so here is my question:

• Those of you who have tried both the medium to heavy moly bullets or Bayou Bullets, what is your opinion about benefits of the 160 versus a more traditional 124/135gr and 147 options? Is the benefit worth the extra costs? Or is the difference between shooting 125/135 compared to 147 or even 160 too insignificant to justify?
  • Have you generally seen a significant difference in accuracy between the various weights? My stock gun seems to eat and deliver IDPA/USPSA acceptable accuracy (for me that means 85%+ no penalty hits when I do my part) with whatever I feed it, so I'm not used to seeing a huge accuracy variance, but I just bought a CZ and it might be a different story.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by ttownracer

• 1 month later...

MIssouri Bullet 147's. About 10K mostly through a Full size M/P. I like em a lot. 64 bucks per K. Plus shipping. I have no idea why it would not be worth it to shoot HC bullets.

No issues with leading? I tried them in my M&P Full size also, and they would do nothing but lead terribly. I finally gave up.

I went ahead and ordered some bayou bullets to try out. (124,135,147gr)

Anyone use bayous in their 5in m&p with success?

That is all I use in my M&P's. And they are great. Some of my M&P's have a KKM barrel, but either way you won't have a problem when you use the Bayou bulelts.

In my 9Pro I have been running the Dardas 122 TC and 126 SWC with great success for PPC. Running them both over 3.6gr (up from 3.4gr on the last 8lbs) of S1k . I know its a different game, but I'm printing sub one inch groups 50 feet freestyle.