Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-jacketed bullets?

jkatz44

Does anyone use non-jacketed bullets in their m&p?(M&P 9L) I've always used Montana gold 147's but am wondering if other bullet options will allow me to shoot more at the same price or even lower. I've heard that it's not worth it so that's why I'm asking. Any opinions?

I shot Precision moly's in my Pro for a while. They were ok. They smoked a little but not too much. They were cheaper. The 147 profile has really long shoulders so I went from 1.14 oal with MG 147 to 1.10 or less with the Precisions.

I also shoot 147 precision bullets. They smoke a little bit but not as bad as a regular hard cast bullet. They seem to be accurate and and cheap. I plan on buying more this year again, but if I shoot any major matches then I will use some type of jacketed bullet for that

Edited by bigfish

Here is a photo of my last group with Rainier plated 115gr hollow points. 25 yds

This is with my M&P 9 Pro with a KKM barrel.

I can't do this every time, but it will regularly group 1.5-2" at 25 yds.

Overall, what did you think of them? Would you recommend them?

I tought they were fine. You have to use a powder such as 320 or S1000, etc to keep the smoke down but other than that they worked just fine.

Seems like the only question is if/how bad the smoke will affect shooting.

It won't with the right powder. Powders like Tite Group burn too hot and create a lot of smoke with the Precisions. As a matter of fact I think their website recommends against using it.

They don't smoke nearly enough to obscure your vision. Not even close.

Any powders for cast lead bullets will work for Precision Bullets.

Recommended Powders

Vihtavuori – N-320/N-340

Ramshot – Competition/Zip

Winchester – WST

Alliant – American Select/Power Pistol

Hodgdon – Universal Clays/HP38

Not Recommended Powders

Hodgdon – Titegroup

Vihtavuori – N-310

I've shot a ton of 147gr BBI's in my 9L with 3.5-3.8gr (depending on lot #) of Solo 1000. They are very accurate in my gun. I have also used alot of Bayou Bullets 135gr RN with 3.7gr N320 with great results in the 9L. Neither smokes much at all and I can't really tell much if any difference in recoil impulse.

What OAL for 147's? And you were using factory barrel?

Like I said, remember the shoulder sticks way out there on the Precision 147 FP's. I was having major problems with my pro and came to find out the shoulder was hitting the rifling. I had to go to 1.10 if I recall. This is where load development and experimentation come so much into play. I think I was running 3.6-3.8 S1000 @1.10.

I’ve been using Bear Creek 147 gr. Poly/Moly coated, with 3.6 gr. of WST for my 9L. They have a traditional look to them and seat out at 1.135 in my barrel. The only time I noticed the smoke was at a night match when the weather was 45 and foggy.

Jeff

Are all moly bullets pretty much the same?(BBI, precision, bayou, bear creek)

Also what are the differences in powders?(I currently have some clays on hand)

Yes and no.

Their all basically lead bullets coated in a lube that produces less muzzle smoke compared to traditional wax based bullet lubes.

Some companies use soft swaged lead bullets while others use more traditional cast lead bullets.

BC, BBI & Precision all use their own proprietary polymer coating with Moly as one ingredient in the mix.

Bayou’s “Gater Snot” coating is also polymer based but contains no Moly.

Powders are another can of worms. With so many to choose from, I’d recommend doing a search in the reloading section for whatever caliber your looking to load for.

Hope this helps.

Jeff