Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dilemma

Iggy42

In 2 parts

First should I sacrifice my 1911 for a more concealable pistol

And if so, should I get a 3.8 subcompact XDm or the new Springfield XDs (both would be .45ACP naturally, especially since the XDs is only in .45 at the moment)

I love 1911s and with them at about 1000 or more I have a hard time letting it go, but its a bit big for everyday carry. As of right now I would have to let it go to get something more suited to daily carry but its a real hard call

Why not keep the 1911 and buy the XDs too?

I would love too but lack of funds, plus I am trying to move over to mutigun and pick up a 2011. As much as I would love to just buy all 5 (the Springfields, a 2011, an AR, and a shotgun) its a bit out of reach at the moment

move the 1911 to your 3 gun buy the carry gun then the AR and shotgun saving the 2011 for the upgrade.

realisticly how many reloads will you be saving by going to a 2011 vs a 1911 and do many stages really weigh heavy enough to make a reload on the move that big a deal at your current shooting level ? (dont forget the allied costs of mags/mag pouches etc.)

then after you get the 2011 you have a loaner pistol to get a new guy into the sport ! and you can move on to your backup AR and shotgun ;) you know to get new shooters to their first match

I use this "creeping carpet" logic with the wife.

and yeah it works, after the "real bills" are paid

John

I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but you could forget the 2011 and buy a XDm 5.25 and a XDm subcompact. At that point you could also use the 5.25 for production and limited, plus you would still have a single stack

I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but you could forget the 2011 and buy a XDm 5.25 and a XDm subcompact. At that point you could also use the 5.25 for production and limited, plus you would still have a single stack

Actually at the moment I am using a 5.25 worked over by Rich at Canyon Creek in Limited. Shoots nice, and I am far from out shooting it but since I go into action shooting an STI and 3-gun have been my goal. Of my gun purchases I wish the 2011 is low on the list since my 5.25 does work wonderfully, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want to run an STI instead.

I know your finances are stretched thin, but here is an idea and yes it probably would involve selling you 1911 but I think it would accomplish your goals for the time being. STI has a really nice compact 1911 in 45 and Crimson Trace makes laser grips for it so it is ideal for carry. I alternate between my compact STI and my Springfield EMP which are just about the same size. As for your 3-gun gear, I ran a 2011 for a couple of seasons but now I'm changing over to my Glock 34. Dawson makes a great ICE well for it and the basepads Tarran Butler is making gives me 24 round in my Glock to start. AS for your AR there is a solution to having to put all the money up front. Matt Burkett of Predator Tactical has been known to work with people on his AR builds. He will take half down and work out a payment schedule with you. Once you rifle is paid off he does the build. I haven't talked to Tarran to see if he will do the same but it never hurts to ask. Especially since he makes one hell of a Benelli conversion too, it a way to get your guns and not break the bank right away.

I'm kind of in the same boat, or at least I know what it feels like to delay shooting plans because of my budget. With your three gun plans, I would certainly not sell the 1911 so to buy a coneal carry gun, especially since you like it so much. The money, if you sell the 1911, should go towards your 3 gun budget. Forget about the conceal carry gun, at least for now. Your priority is 3 gun, and the longer you put it off, the more miserable you'll be.

If you really feel like you need to be carrying a gun, go down to the local pawn shop or gun store, and get a cheap 5 shot revolver or little .25 auto, and put it on lay away. In the mean time, just stick the 1911 in your waist band, if you really feel like you should be carrying a gun at a particular time.

Sorry If I sound preachy, but I've been there and done that, over, and over.

What is preventing you from concealling the 1911 you have now? I know not every platform works for every individual, but just wondering what your situation is.

Are you a member of a local shooting club that offers 3-gun? If so, try asking around to see if anyone has any equipment they would like to sell. You may find yourself a nice deal for something you can afford at this time. If your local club does not offer 3-gun, ask them anyways. You might get lucky. The public market is crazy right now and asking crazy money for certain items. If you are a participating member of your shooting club, you might have a better oppurtunity to find a great deal.

Have you given any thought to participating in the Heavy Metal 3-gun division (USPSA) where you would be required to compete with a 45acp handgun? this would allow you to continue to use your existing 1911 with 10 round magazines and allow you focus on the other items on your wish list?

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Edited by szhttm