Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 38TJ

maxposner

I have my new 38 super Gold Team and 2k tj brass, EGW undersize size die. Do I need to size the new brass? Been so long since I had new brass I don't remember if I resize it or just load it. Also, can I use the 9mm dies to seat the bullet and taper crimp, or should I get another die set. I will be using my 550 Dillon to start, if need be, I'll get a conversion for the 650. We'll see, just want to get started, and thought I'd ask instead of the usual trial and error.

Appreciate the quick reply, I just thought that with the 38 super sizer, the powder funnel would be the same as 9mm and just seat the bullet out further, the taper crimp I think would have to be changed, was looking at a Lee factory crimp die, just because I haven't ever used one. Just a thought, will probably order the Dillon dies next week. I have already shot the wad on the pistol and magazines, not to mention the brass, so what's a new set of dies anyway? I'm just starting to get scared, that she will find out that this isn't a 3 hundred dollar pistol, I don't know why, after all, I'm the man of the house! (just don't tell her I said that!)

It's a good idea to run new brass through a sizer die just like you would fired brass. Reasons are 1) it trues up any dents in the case mouth that may have occurred during shipping and 2) it makes sure there is a flash hole in the primer pocket. I've never encountered the latter especially in new Starline brass but I've been told that not having a flash hole is not outside the realm of possibilities.

• 2 months later...

Carbide 9mm dies (properly adjusted) will work just fine on .38 Super and 9x23 Winchester (and the other variations on this theme). Yeah, the 9mm Para. is spec'ed out to be slightly tapered, but the carbide dies don't do the taper. 9mm Para. reloads end up being straight-walled. They fit properly at the case mouth and are slightly undersize (but within tolerences) at the case head.

Bob,

I appreciate the reply, I had purchased the small base die that Henning recommends, and figured that I could use the 9mm seating die, just needed a 38 super factory crimp die. I am going to use my Dillon 550 to start, if I shoot it a lot, I'll get a conversion for the 650. Thanks again.