Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking up an unfinished 3gun AR15 project

chaosshooter00

The ID should be the same. Did you install a buffer retainer?

FWIW, I don't run a buffer retainer pin in any AR. They are prone to break and jam up. In polymer lowers, they are a location which has some decent stress and are prone to induce fracture, so I really don't like them in polymer lowers.

Googling that as soon as I get this posted. Found a couple of manuals on line on how to assemble one, but none covers the looseness issue.

Okay, so I got to fire it. Loaded three rounds in the mag, turned on the red dot, aimed at the paper target fifty yards away and sent the first round in the dirt forty yards out. Dumped the red dot, put two rounds on paper sans sights, dropped the mag, loaded the next mag and I couldn't get the charging handle past the buffer washer that had climbed it's way up. Wrong tools, so back to the shop. Borrow an AR tool and tear it down. The POS buffer tube is becoming the bane of my existence, so over to the grinder I go with the washer. 1/2 hour later at the range, charging handle works, go to fire and the trigger pin has come out of one side causing it to be stiff and fire upon release. Not a good day. Any ideas or suggestions?

Bill are coming down to shoot the Yuma 3 gun this weekend?? Bring that whole gun down and we will sort thru it and get it working. You can shoot one of my rifles for the match!!

Brian, not making their 3gun, I'm helping with the SSC program for juniors in Kingman at Seven Mile Range. I do appreciate the offer and may get to take you up on it eventually. I just don't want to start throwing money in all the wrong directions. Thanks

Do you have an adjustable gas block? If so you may not be getting enough gas for gun to cycle.

Not an adjustable gas block, but I'm thinking that may be the culprit. What is an easy way to check if it is clocked correctly? The gas block is a set screw style and I may have to see if I can find a pinned one if I can't figure this out. Thanks

Okay, so after some chasing my tail, I deducted that the gas port was clogged and it turned out it was in the block. I loaded 15 rounds in a mag and headed to the range. 10 shots in a row, no problem, fires the eleventh shot and now it won't go into battery and the bullet was hard to get out. Cleared and loaded next round, same problem. It won't go to battery and the DPMS upper has no forward assist. Does this with factory rounds and reloads, haven't been able fire a round since. Any ideas?

Okay, so after some chasing my tail, I deducted that the gas port was clogged and it turned out it was in the block. I loaded 15 rounds in a mag and headed to the range. 10 shots in a row, no problem, fires the eleventh shot and now it won't go into battery and the bullet was hard to get out. Cleared and loaded next round, same problem. It won't go to battery and the DPMS upper has no forward assist. Does this with factory rounds and reloads, haven't been able fire a round since. Any ideas?

Case head separation? Dirt in the chamber? Bolt cracked (not likely but...)?

Had to change the buffer spring to get it to cycle and finally got a complete mag through it. Took it to 3gun on Sunday as it is all I have and it doesn't make it ten rounds before the bolt starts sticking in the rear position. Acts like it needs lube, but is wringing wet with 5/50. Get it home and take it apart, everything glides smooth until it gets out back together. If I hold pressure on it it will bind and I can release it by wiggling the buffer tube assembly. No clue, anybody got an idea? Thanks