Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub-conscious shooting

a matt

It's a quick read and well worth the $12.95

The $12.95, 2nd edition version has been out of print for a while now. But today, I just put the 3rd edition back in my store. It has about 20 more pages, with several expanded sections. 3rd edition price, out of your pocket - is $16.95. It's value - priceless.

;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That book will change your life forever.

Lanny Bassham, With Winning in Mind.

Recommended to me years ago by Travis Tomasie... buy it today from Brian Enos.

Do this now.

I read it. I think champions think this way intuitively, and Bassham picked up on it, picked it apart, and layed it out in a simple format that anyone can understand and put to use. A local shooter, Nate Berg, sent it to me because I was shaking when I shot one of my first matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my consious mind focus and a clean trigger pull and calling shots. about half the time it works and keeps everything else going. the other half I still need to work on but it improves with the confidence I get dry firing.

That book will change your life forever.

Lanny Bassham, With Winning in Mind.

Recommended to me years ago by Travis Tomasie... buy it today from Brian Enos.

Do this now.

Thanks for the tip.

Best two books on the market, Lanny Bassham book and Brian Enos's book. I used Brians book years ago when I was shooting rifle and pistol silhouette. If you look closely you can pick up little things from every sport. I even found something useful in a golf magazine while sitting in a Doctor's waiting room. Just because it is a different sport doesn't mean you can't glean little bits of mental wisdom from them. 95% of any sport is mental once you have mastered the basics.

Best two books on the market, Lanny Bassham book and Brian Enos's book. I used Brians book years ago when I was shooting rifle and pistol silhouette. If you look closely you can pick up little things from every sport. I even found something useful in a golf magazine while sitting in a Doctor's waiting room. Just because it is a different sport doesn't mean you can't glean little bits of mental wisdom from them. 95% of any sport is mental once you have mastered the basics.

Lanny Bassham's book is a quick easy read (an hour or less) that translates over to having a positive out look on life as well as helping with the mental game when it comes to shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I get it - the serpent swallows its tail.

Yup. It's an endless cycle. Like a reciprocating 4 stroke motor, you need all the steps to be completed in order for the thing to move you forward. That's as analogous as I'm gonna get here. Work hard, get better, execute, enjoy, repeat..... Daddyo!!!!

Winning gives you a lot of confidence. Confidence grows with talent and practice. Talent and practice will create more skill. Greater skill makes it easier to win.

On the other hand, not winning drives one to work harder and practice more, increasing skill level. This may be more true of a tantalizing close loss as opposed to a soul-crushing last place type of loss, however.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fairly new to the competition shooting world - I've been shooting for less than two years, so I'm actively looking for advice every day on this forum. But as some of you know, I work with professional race drivers at the very highest levels of motorsport, and I'm seeing some amazing parallels.

Many of the drivers "practice" laps without being in the car. Simply visualizing the lap proves to be a great benefit to them. And one particularly amazing driver I worked with could sit in a chair and drive a lap with his eyes closed, complete with imaginary *thumb rest [generic]*, brake pedal and steering wheel. It wasn't amazing that he did this, it was amazing that when you put a stop watch on his "lap", it was within a few tenths of a second of his actual lap time.

Apparently I'm a little slow - it's taken me this long to realize how perfect that comparison is, and to take notice of how powerful it has been for them, and to use that information to drive my own mental-game development in shooting.

Looks like I have lots of work to do... Time to sit down and read "With Winning in Mind...".

-Scott

I've always thought of the struggle to turn off conscious thought to be the struggle to go from stage 3 to stage 4 of the stages of competence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

This is where the x thousand reps that create the procedural memory kick in and allow you to turn off the conscious mind and just shoot.