Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Upper Conversions

minnesota1

I've been curious for a while about the .22 uppers. I think they would be great for practice. I was reading in "The Blue Press" and the guy recommended the CZ V-22 upper and said it was pretty accurate and he had no malfunctions-after firing nearly 700 rounds! It was a simple drop in fit.

I've seen DPMS's uppers and a few others but I would like to hear from you guys and your experiences with them, the mags, reliability, accuracy, and any light you can shed on the subject. Is anyone else in the process of making them that might be worth while to wait?

Thanks,

Bob

I've got a V-22 upper and while it is very accurrate, it isn't exactly 100 % in the function department. I have been playing with the magazines and it is getting better but it still jams more than I would like. Supposedly there is a 30 round magazine for this thing and if so I hope to be able to get some in a few days :D. It sure seems to like Federal ammo (cheap Wal Mart stuff ) much more than anything else, but out of a 10 round mag it will usually have 1-2 jams. I need to play with it a bit more but out of the box it wasn't all that reliable. KURTM

If you're willing to spend a little coin, JP is doing beautiful conversions on the DPMS uppers. John told me they usually need a little tweaking to function reliably, and he'll sell you one from full-house-custom at over a grand to just reliability tuned for around half that.

Joe

I have a DPMS upper and it is accurate! But function is so so. I think it is mostly the mags as the one that came with it is a Colt that works most of the time the other 3 are no name and one of them doesn't work at all while the other two are 70%. The ejecter is part of the mag and usually needs some tuning. After looking both over the V-22 has some design advantages over the DPMS. The DPMS has voids above the bolt that seem to attract 22 brass the V-22 has fewer places to jam up. As always this is my experience yours may differ. LOL Keith

OK I had time to really play with the V-22 yesterday, and found that by adjusting the tension of the magazine screws ( the 2 halves are held together with 3 allen screws) I could get close to 100% function. The only problem now is the occational empty not clearing the ejection port and jamming with the new cartridge. I will play with the ejector angle and I bet I can get this thing working really well! I think I will try to get some of the 30 rounders for this thing. JamesH mentioned that they had them in England so maybe I can get some sent over!! :D KURTM

Kurt,

Thanks for letting us in on your conversion. Please let us all know how everything ends up with your conversion. Let us know what you had to do to get it running 100%.

If anyone else has any input I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Bob

• 8 months later...
OK I had time to really play with the V-22 yesterday, and found that by adjusting the tension of the magazine screws ( the 2 halves are held together with 3 allen screws) I could get close to 100% function. The only problem now is the occational empty not clearing the ejection port and jamming with the new cartridge. I will play with the ejector angle and I bet I can get this thing working really well! I think I will try to get some of the 30 rounders for this thing. JamesH mentioned that they had them in England so maybe I can get some sent over!!  :D  KURTM

Kurt,

Any update on your V22 upper? Is it running well and would you recommend one? I'm thinking about getting one.

Thanks.

My understanding is that the current production V22's are much more reliable than earlier models. (I don't know what the time frames are)

I am unsure of the exact changes/mods the manufacturer has made but shotgun news reported that the current sample they had tested was day and night better than one they had tested previously.

I am thinkin I want one :) Craig

Okay got mine running 100% after sorting out the mag tension I found out that the extractor didn't have any tension on the case rim. After a bit of fitting it hums like a top. I know that this issue has been fixed in the more recent V-22s so no problem there. The DPMS of Broncos still is not running very well and I am going to try a new set of extractores to see if that helps. BTW I just got 2 25 round mags for the V-22 and will try them out tomorrow. but I think they will run 100% also. If I were to buy a 22LR conversion, it would have to be a V-22. I really don't like the DPMS with the ejector on the magazine. KURTM

Okay got mine running 100% after sorting out the mag tension I found out that the extractor didn't have any tension on the case rim. After a bit of fitting it hums like a top. I know that this issue has been fixed in the more recent V-22s so no problem there. The DPMS of Broncos still is not running very well and I am going to try a new set of extractores to see if that helps. BTW I just got 2 25 round mags for the V-22 and will try them out tomorrow. but I think they will run 100% also. If I were to buy a 22LR conversion, it would have to be a V-22. I really don't like the DPMS with the ejector on the magazine. KURTM

Thanks Kurt.

Do you find yourself actually practicing with the V22? Is it a useful training tool - or just a nice upper that doesn't really serve as a tool in shooting a centerfire rifle?

If it's the former - I'd buy one. Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes it is a great tool, especially for off hand practice. The 25 mround mags worked like a charm after a minor modification, and I am talking to Adco about getting them brough in, or made. Stay tuned for more info on the mags as we go! I just got done shooting 500 round out of mine today and it only jammed once! KURTM

I got hooked on the 22lr conversion awhile back and bought a Accuracy speaks barrel and built one on air force 22lr conversion kit. Derricks book on building a AR has whole section on the different models of kits available. Mine runs fine so long as it clean but by time I get to 300 rounds it is starting to have a little failure to close bolt completely no and then. I'm waiting for a new barrel from Compass lake and I doing a major rebuild on all my ar topends. New barrel contours, new scopes, etc. I try polishing out the chamber with some jb to see if that helps. I think is all that wax on ammo that builds up quick. They will dirty up your lower faster than regular shooting.

I love being able to shoot in afternoon after work on my range. Got two steel plates out at 100 yards a 6 sq and 8 circle about 10 feet apart. I work at shooting offhand at them. Got a little 4 power scope on 22 upper. They ring when hit just enough to hear them if I leave one ear plug a little loose and they wobble. When I get to about 80% or high hit rate at rapid fire alternating between the two targets are know I ready to for a match. I usually burn between 200/300 rounds per session and it so cheap and nothing to pickup. It is just so relaxing!

The DPMS has voids above the bolt that seem to attract 22 brass

My DPMS runs well except for the voids that do attract the brass, after finding the right ammo it seemed to fix, the occasional ejection problem. Cody

• 1 month later...

I recently picked up the CZ V22 upper. I've shot about 1,000 rounds out of it and only had one malfunction (a light strike). It likes the Win Dynapoint 40 grain rounds.

It's huge fun and very quiet as well. It's so quiet that you can shoot it without hearing protection, but I only did it for about 20 rounds.

I've only shot it in the pistol bay at 2 - 30 yards. I slapped my Aimpoint on the flat top and it hit at the point of aim without adjustment.

I had an extra rifle length FF tube that I put on it as well. It accepts standard one piece FF tubes.

All I need now are some hi cap mags!!!!

Kurt . . . :D

Got tired of fighting with the DPMS 22 upper and have boxed it up to send back. Bought a CZ and got it in today, after cleaning and lube put a 2-7 VX II on it and went out to zero, only took 5 rounds and it would keep them all in a 1 in. circle from a prone hold @ 50 yd. Shot over 100 rnds with no failures, what a pleasure to shoot. Worked on the 8 in. plates from 50 yds. very easy off hand very quick with a rest. These 10 round mags sure do go empty fast. I'll have to start putting out a tarp or there will be a mountain of 22 brass in the yard. This is the one to get as far as I'm concerned. Keith

You can get them straight from ADCO, it will save you the $9.95 for the shipping of the free sight. They were out when I called last week so got mine from Dillon, which is fine by me as they are a great sponser of the shooting sports. I think ADCO has them imported as CZ America knows nothing about these uppers. Keith

The reason CZ-USA doesn't know anything about these CZ .22 uppers is that our CZ is different from their CZ. CZ-USA's sister company is CZ-UB (Ceska Zbrojovka a.s. Uhersky Brod). This .22 upper is made by another CZ company in the Czech Republic. The name Ceska Zbrojovka simply means "weapons factory", so there is not a trademark of that name, hence anybody building weapons in Czech has rights to the name Ceska Zbrojovka, or CZ. :wacko:

So far the only Standard capacity mags ( I just love the sound of that ) is the 25 rounder made in England, machined from a solid piece of aluminum and is very expensive. I believe ADCO is working on getting some made up but I will talk to ADCO after Rocky Mountain 3-gun and see what is up. I don't think the Southern Gun Room in England is even set up to do exports so we might just have to wait a while on ADCO, but I'm sure they are on the way! I will up date as info becomes available. KURTM

Is Dillon the only carrier of the CZ?  or is there other vendors?

Kurt, where can we pick up the high caps?

thanks, Craig

Craig,

I found mine on Gunbroker, the seller was Military Gun Supply (I believe). It was the best price I found at $260 + shipping.

• 2 months later...

Adco sent back My mag with a little note about thanks for showing us this and we are telling people about Sothern Gun Room in England, so I don't think they are going to make the magazine. I have tried to get hold of Shawn Neiland at Cavalry Arms to see if it something his plastic works company would like to do, but still no word. If I don't hear anything this week I am going to let Bronco have one and see about doing them locally, he knows some plasics guys in Winfield Kansas. I really DON'T want the head aches of having these manufactured and really just want to see them available to shooters so if anyone else knows about a plastics company that might want to do these things let me know...I have the templets!! KURTM