Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some help with a 686 White Onyx

Sig Shooter

Hello Guys

I am new to shooting sporting clays,trap, 5 stand etc. but I have shot IDPA and 3 gun for a couple of years.

With that being said my Dad bought me a 686 White Onyx for Christmas ( I had been usiing an 870 with improved cylinder). I really have no idea where to start as far as what chokes to use, which barrel to shoot first etc.

I have gotten some great advice from the Enos forums on reloading tips, rifle setup for 3 gun etc. and I am hoping I will get some more great advice on shooting clays and how to properly set up the gun.

Thanks in advance.

I have used Briley chokes in my 686 and they seem to work fine. I'm a big fan or Trulock Chokes and use them in my Browning guns. Manventureoutpost.com sells them at very competitive prices.

I had an adjustable comb & butt plate added to mine. Makes it fit so much better. Joe Bowles @ Tronspacegunworks.com does great work. I prefer not to use a vest but that is a personal thing.

Most O/U shooters use the bottom barrel first at whatever is the closer target.

If you're shooting two different chokes, put the more open choke in the bottom and just use the selector to shoot top or bottom barrel first depending on the target presentations you see. I personally put two of the same chokes in both barrels and always shoot bottom barrel first. I put LMs or Mods in both barrels but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that to a beginning shooter starting with softer targets. Depending on target presentation and distance, SK, IC, LM, or Mod would be the most appropriate chokes for sporting clays. For my O/Us, I have three pairs of chokes: close, middle, and far. (SK/SK, LM/LM, and IM/IM). I might put in the IMs once or twice a year when I'm shooting FITASC but otherwise, I stick to the LMs. I almost never put in the SKs as those are targets which a LM will break anyway and I don't feel handicapped.

If I buy aftermarket chokes, I generally get extended Brileys. Don't fall into the trap of ported chokes. They don't do anything except take longer to clean and make your wallet lighter.

HOWEVER, do not get caught up in the game of choke changing and buying flavor-of-the-month chokes. Use that money to buy ammo and targets and practice. That will make you a far better shooter. Buying chokes won't buy you a higher score. Focus on the target and what it's doing so that you can break it. Spending that time to decide if you should use an IC or a LM isn't the way to go. If you want extended chokes for the convenience, that's fine, but don't do it thinking your score will go up.

I use the extended chokes just because they are easier to tighten and change. Tubes tend to loosen as you shoot, so just give them a tighten every once in a while.

With some high pressure grease on the threads they will resist loosening.