Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle mag size selection during stage planning

ambluemax

So if you have a SF 60, is there any reason to have a nordic or lancer type 40?

Yes, because the Nordic extension works. The two SF 60's I had were not reliable at all, and all I was using was 55gr in them. Had them choke multiple times at matches and during practice. Sold. The Nordic extension has *never* failed to feed or any other failure.

As for the original question:

-Depending on round count, I'll run a 30rd PMAG or the 48rd PMAG/Nordic extension with 55gr.

-For long-range stages (300y+), I use the Firebird/Brownells PMAG coupler with 69gr.

-For combo stages where I have to go prone for long-range after hosing, I'll actually switch out mags so I don't have to go prone with the Nordic. As seen in the video below. Just depends on the shooting position.

-I always keep a spare 30rd mag on my belt.

Edited by AustinWolv

• 4 weeks later...

I recently came across a tip that recomended having 20, 30, 30/30 cinch, 45, and 60 round rifle mags at your disposal for various match situations. Obviously the 20rd mags are for specific prone type situations, but if a 30 won't do it how would you decide between the last 3 options?

For 3 gun I keep all of the above in my bag.

I use the 60 round Surefire for anything prone for sure. If you need more than 60 on a long range stage you're better off stopping than changing mags.

If I only need 25 or less ill use a 30 rounder.

I keep a 30 round on the belt as a back up.

20 round for low port prone.

48 round Nordic Pmag for down hill prone shooting positions.

Coupled 30's for those weird stages or rifle matches that require a mandatory mag change.

Steel 42 round comes on handy when I need 30 or so or during a slight downhill shooting position.

You can never have too many regular capacity mags with you.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I learned that the hard way on the 20 rounder the last year they had the ky state shoot and tried to shoot the angle with coupled 30s and couldn't get the tube on the top of the wall without the mags touching. I throw a couple 20s in the bag now and for mandatory reloads off the belt as I can index a 20 better than a 30

• 2 weeks later...

I have a half dozen or more 20rd PMags. I cannot get low enough on the ground to use them when prone. The 30rd PMags are usually better for me when prone as long as the terrain isn't going downhill away from me, and I have a coupled set for that. I use the 20rd PMags for hunting, and some have the round limiters in them to make them hold 10 rounds for deer season. The 20rd Pmags are also the only mags, other than my 60rd Surefire mag, that have caused jams or failed to lock the bolt back consistently.

On the slanted "rooftop" props, I have found that I shoot the best with my left leg tucked under to where my left hip is on the slant, my left elbow on the slant and left hand on the magwell....which also allows for just about any length mag I want since the mag runs along my forearm. I built a rooftop prop for my range to practice with and try various positions, and find my times to be fastest this way. If there is a low prone port, I'm going to have some difficulty, may have to shoot it on my side, and have to admire how some of you skinny guys can get into those shooting positions.

I recently added the PMag 40's to the collection, 3 of them, and 2 have the Taccom 5rd extensions now. At the Pro-Am, every stage with rifle was shot with a 45rd Taccom extended Pmag, regardless of the round count. A 30rd PMag is always on my belt unless I need more space and there is no rifle on that stage.

I've found my Surefire 60rd mag to be somewhat unreliable enough that I don't use it anymore. In my range bag, I keep two Taccom 45rd PMags and two coupled 30rd PMags. My ECS case houses 5 more 30rd PMags, one of which will be on my belt full time at a match, the others get swapped out for the belt mag if I have to get into it I guess. Unless there is a forced reload, capacity limitation, or weird position that is made easier with a 30rd mag....I will run the 45rd PMag for everything I can.

Try putting the magazine PAST the edge of the roof. That way you can run any length mag you want on a roof top, and it is much steadier than trying to scrunch up and try to use a short mag. Just put the pistol grip and trigger guard right on the edge. Best kept secret to roof tops!

I'll have to try that. I've found that my fastest way on and off the ramp was having my left leg tucked under where I can use it to push myself up at the same time as my left arm. I'm right handed with right knee issues, so that may be why.

Try putting the magazine PAST the edge of the roof. That way you can run any length mag you want on a roof top, and it is much steadier than trying to scrunch up and try to use a short mag. Just put the pistol grip and trigger guard right on the edge. Best kept secret to roof tops!

I'll have to try that. I've found that my fastest way on and off the ramp was having my left leg tucked under where I can use it to push myself up at the same time as my left arm. I'm right handed with right knee issues, so that may be why.

Kurt taught me this technique in his rifle class and it works like a boss! I had been using the short mag on the shooter side if the roof top previously.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

knowledge downloaded

Gonna try that technique this weekend---our local MD has been using a lot of roof lately. Up to now, I have gone with 30-rd mag on the shooter side of the roof, rifle forearm on the peak, and support arm in normal forward position but resting across the roof edge. I feel like that lets me walk the mag forward and back to change tilt, but I am curious to see if I can do better with the magazine forward...