Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro vs CZ SP-01 Shadow

I shoot mostly 3-gun, and I'm moving from running the guns I already owned to ones bought/built for the sport. Got a shotgun, now I'm looking at a pistol. I've been running a 1911, and reloading every 8 or 10 rounds gets old.

I've got the finalists down to the M&P Pro and the CZ SP-01 Shadow. (I'll consider the G34 when Mr Gaston reconsiders the grip angle.)

The M&P Pro is cheaper (even with any Apex trigger upgrades) and parts and accessories are more common.

The Shadow, well, I have a CZ-97B that I absolutely love - most accurate gun in my safe. It seems to me like the Shadow has a lot more 'upgradeability' in it. I'm not good enough to need a super fast/accurate pistol just yet, but when I get there, it seems like I could make more improvements to my gun with the CZ.

And the Shadow is just sexy.

I feel like the guy at the car lot looking at the Volkswagen, knowing full well it can do everything I need it to do, but lusting after the Audi. (And back when I was single, that argument was settled in favor of the Audi. Man I loved that car.)

FWIW, I'll be running a police trade-in Beretta 92 SF until I save up the $$$ for whatever I decide to buy.

Edited by Langenator

With all due respect to my good friend Cy, until you shoot some 3Gun, it is kind of like a jeweler telling a carpenter what hammer to buy.

I went through a lot of 9mm options over last winter and settled on the M&P 9Pro. Apex trigger parts and TF basepads on 4 mags and for about $800, you have a great platform. Speed Shooters Specialties is the go-to shop for M&P parts.

You have to remember that the pistol use in 3Gun is a little different than USPSA pistol. We have to toss them in buckets, ROs clear our pistols and to the "total" refinement is less necessary than 100% reliability in poor conditions.

Edited by MarkCO

I sold both my cz pistols. Reliability issues. I kept the Glock 34. I do use 2011 for 90% of 3 gun. When I have to I go to Glock. I have used Glocks for so long that I don't have an issue with the rip angle. I did just pickup a couple MP 9mm and a 45. I do like them so far. I will be using the 45 for 3 gun heavy metal division. Whatever you choose you should be good. If the cz's had not started having issues I would have kept them. The Phantom has been 100% for me without the weight of the shadow.

Mike

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't heavy metal division require a single stack .45?

Some allow Limited 10 style rules with .45ACP. Some matches even allow 9mm in the Heavy divisions. They are all over the map.

I use my shadow for both USPSA and 3 gun and have never had any complaints about the gun. My CZs have always been 100%, but I clean them after every match and practice session. I have had the m&p and it is a good pistol but I shoot the shadow much better.

The one thing you do have to remember when you use a CZ is the gun has to be put on safe when it is grounded where a M&P or Glock can be just put in the bucket.

FWIW, I'll be running a police trade-in Beretta 92 SF until I save up the $$$ for whatever I decide to buy.

On second thought; you'd better off shooting your 92FS and using your hard-earned $$$ for practice ammo.

If I could change the sights on the Beretta I would do that...but they're awful, and they're cast into the slide so I'm stuck with them. If I could change the sights, I might just run the Beretta period...I like pistols with big fat grips (another reason I love my CZ-97).

The way pistol availability seems to be at the moment...I might not be able to find an M&P Pro when I have the money.

Question: for those who shoot both striker fired pistols and DA/SA or just SA hammer fireds, do you do your dry-fire practice any different?

That's another plus, at least I'd think, for the M&P. I know it's a definite improvement over my 1911 and having to reset the hammer every time.

I shot a M&P for a couple of years. Switching to a CZ was one of the best decision I ever made. The CZ is a far superior pistol in terms of accuracy and quality.

The CZ is great for dryfire practice too. The hammer falls everytime you pull the trigger. No need to pull back the hammer or rack ths slide. A couple of months of dryfire practice with a DA trigger is great to teach you a smooth trigger pull.

I have used M&P Pro and Glock 34 so far for uspsa/ 3 Gun. I definately prefered the glock to the M&P but have now ordered a SP-01 Shadow. The CZ feels like a far superior gun compared to both. If you like, CZ stick with it. Like you stated, CZ will be a more accurate gun also.

• 2 months later...

+1 for the switch from M&P to CZ. I shoot mostly 3 gun and switched from the M&P Pro to CZ Custom Shadow and have never looked back. Best decision i could've made. Markco is right about the dump though. Once you train to dump the mag and rack on your way to the bucket, no worries.

• 5 months later...

Maybe you should pick up a Sar k2p (15+1) and run that a little while to see if you like the style. They are similiar enough in design to the CZ, althought obviously not in the same league, they are easy to be had for $300 or so, and you wouldn't have to care about beating it up. The steel k2 45's are easy to find for $500, and have 14+1 capacity.

Wow..... Think mine is bigger then yours.

To me everyone makes their own choice of what they like best. I have a M&P 9mm L and has over 24,000 rounds. The only thing that was changed is the trigger, and at every 5,000 rounds I changed the springs. But that said if you like a CZ better, then that is what you should by. JMHO -_-

I have been using a Shadow Custom for 4 years now in USPSA and it has been great. Crazy accurate, soft shooting, the grip is super comfortable just a pleasure to shoot. I like my G34 but for me its harder to shoot more accurate. The only only gripe I have with my CZ is the safety.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and new to CZ.I purschased a new Shadowline 91166 9mm from Rob at CZ Custom in Arizona.Have any of you had a chance to run one of these yet?This is a non firing pin block model and has acouple of extras on it.MY intent is to shoot IPSC Production.I load all of my ammo and have run 2 different loads totallying 500+ rounds through and were all perfect. I choose the CZ over the other brands because I am an 1911 45acp. guy,shooting those since the 60's.If that sounds funny consider grip angle and steel construction.A question for you production shooters;Do you start cocked and locked or with a round in the chamber and double action? Any leads on outfits for parts and accessories Like PRP,Dawson,Springer and Canyon Creek has for XD/XDM?

Thank You,

My name is John

Edited by DFABOVE

As far as M&P vs CZ. Personal preference and 2 totally different guns. Some glock and M&P shooters have a hang up about the double action first shot on a da/SA platform, but you can get the trigger so smooth on a CZ etc that it's really not an issue. Lots of good shooters using striker guns, but if you dig into the results at matches you'll find larger and larger majority of the good production shooters are shooting CZ, Tanfoglio, etc.

• 1 month later...

I had an M&P pro and I liked the way it felt, I didn't mind the stock trigger and it was super reliable. The downside was that it shot low no matter what I fed it. I had to change the fron sight and eventually the rear as well. It grouped ok but even on a rest it was still a 3 inch gun at 25 yards. I the bought an SP01 my scores jumped immediately and it is just as reliable but most of all it groups much better than pro and shoots where it points. I don't find the DA first shot to be much of an issue, not as easy as the Pro for the first shot but the subsequent shots are easier and perhaps a bit faster.

• 1 year later...

To resurrect an old thread:

The comparison between these two guns is meaningful insofar as these are both relatively affordable "production" guns that can be used successfully both for competition and carry.

I competed with a SP01 Shadow for three years before switching to the M&P Pro. The Shadow feels better made to me, but I prefer the M&P's grip and shoot better with it. So it's a subjective thing.

Edited by Lior