Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger finger blister. Glock.

AJPeacock

Whenever I shoot a few hundred rounds with my G23, I end up with a blister on the side/end of my trigger finger. I've studied my grip and am at a loss to fix my issue.

I take a high grip, which makes my trigger finger knuckle actually start a touch higher than the trigger, so my finger angles down to reach the trigger. My finger thus reaches the bottom 1/3 of the trigger, which causes the tip to drag slightly on the trigger guard. I have small/medium hands, so there is almost no space between my finger and the frame of the pistol. When I shoot a lot, I end up getting a blood blister where the tip/side of my finger drags on the guard, I think it's pinching me during the reset of the trigger.

To add to the situation, I broke the last joint of my finger playing softball when I was a kid, so it bends a little bit away from my thumb.

I never had this problem with my previous pistol (Sig P226). I've been shooting/carrying this Glock for 7-8 years and I shoot it well, I just don't enjoy shooting it, which is a shame.

I could live with this issue, except I plan on doing a little 3gun next summer, which will certainly include a bit of pistol practice.

Thanks for any advice. If my description isn't clear, I can try to take some pictures of my grip and the situation.

I have a 3.5 Rocket disconnector on the Glock.

Thanks,

AJ

I_got_blisters_on_my_fingers_by_Hellen86.jpg

^^^^^^ Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

For what it is worth, I had the same thing going with a Taurus 24/7 .45 and pretty much resolved that by smoothing out the bottom of the trigger. Of course that was on a cheap-o Taurus so I don't know if that would help with your Glock bang finger issue or not.

If the trigger is fully depressed and you still feel a bit of a bump just carve gently with an Exacto knife to get it smooth with the rest of the trigger. I do not even think about it any more. If I install a trigger that sticks up a bit I just carve it down to smooth it out.

What you discribe has nothing to do with your grip, it has everything to do with you have too much finger in your trigger. I used to have the same problem when I shot my Glock until Todd Jarrett showed me the error of my ways. Now the tip of my finger goes only so far onto the trigger to where it touches the safety lever just enough to depress it and no more. There is a nice shiney area rubed on the outside of my trigger while the other half on the inside of the safety lever has never been touched. The other up side to is I don't push my shots over to the left on the target as much and it really comes in to play when you are having to go for a real precission shot.

I don't recommend carving on your frame until you've had a chance to reevaluate where you put your finger first.

I_got_blisters_on_my_fingers_by_Hellen86.jpg

^^^^^^ Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

For what it is worth, I had the same thing going with a Taurus 24/7 .45 and pretty much resolved that by smoothing out the bottom of the trigger. Of course that was on a cheap-o Taurus so I don't know if that would help with your Glock bang finger issue or not.

Funniest response to one of my posts EVER. Of course my daughter looked at that and said "Solid response, Helter Skelter!"

Have a merry Christmas.

AJ

OK,

So I spent a little time with the Glock and decided I'd try to take some pictures of where my finger is engaging the trigger.

I noticed that when I pull the trigger, I can still feel the safety above the face of the trigger, that protrusion may be part of the pain/blister issue.

Pardon the pictures, it's awkward trying to take a picture of your grip with a phone in your other hand.

https://www.dropbox....22 17.59.01.jpg

https://www.dropbox....22 17.59.09.jpg

https://www.dropbox....22 17.59.36.jpg

https://www.dropbox....22 17.59.48.jpg

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,

AJ

OK,

So I spent a little time with the Glock and decided I'd try to take some pictures of where my finger is engaging the trigger.

I noticed that when I pull the trigger, I can still feel the safety above the face of the trigger, that protrusion may be part of the pain/blister issue.

Thanks,

AJ

That is the part I am referring to when i say trim it down. When the face of the safety is flush with the rest of the trigger then all pressure is distributed equally. If it is not smooth then most pressure is on that small nub. As tightly as you can grip a gun you will still experience a bit of movement during recoil. All that pressure in a small area will create a blister.

OK,

Thanks,

AJ

That is the part I am referring to when i say trim it down. When the face of the safety is flush with the rest of the trigger then all pressure is distributed equally. If it is not smooth then most pressure is on that small nub. As tightly as you can grip a gun you will still experience a bit of movement during recoil. All that pressure in a small area will create a blister.

Yep, your previous post got me to focus on that a little closer, thanks.

What do you use to shape it? I think if I gave the lower 1/4" a larger radius, it would remove the pressure point.

Thanks,

AJ

After looking at your pictures, what I suspected is right, you have to much finger on your trigger. Take a look at where Todd backed my finger out to. This has worked really well for me and it has improved my accuracy as well since more finger on the trigger results in more movement to the left and down.post-9147-0-00951400-1356480461_thumb.jppost-9147-0-04730800-1356480477_thumb.jp

If the safety trim doesn't stop you from getting the blister, you might try trimming the end off the trigger itself. You may be getting pinched during reset, like you said. Take the trigger out of the gun, use some agressive sandpaper or an exacto knife & trim just a little off the end of the trigger & then smooth it up with some fine sandpaper. Shouldn't hurt anything & if you round it off & kind of shape it, probably you would never even be able to tell by looking at it.

MLM

I can't tell from the picture if you have the serrated "target" trigger or not. If you do, you could always try to switch it out for a smooth trigger. I always do. Other than that, I agree with shaving down the trigger safety a bit. I used to stick a tooth pick behind it to force it out and then file it down a bit with a spark plug file. Just be aware, it's an external mod and may not be legal for all games.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised that not one has mentioned the glock triggers design in this string as of yet. BTW I'm "floored" by the local knowlege on this blog. I have learned a lot since joining (sorry I got off the subject). Anyway...I'm a newly competetive shooter and needed a handgun with high cap capabilities. I'm was weaned on 1911's, but being new to the 3gun sport I knew I would need the capacity that the Glock 34's offer. I can now say that I'm a Glock convert! HOWEVER, those factory Glock triggers are terrible! Of course you get a blister (no offense to the ones who posted their solutions). The strike fire safety is very thin and rubs across your trigger finger every time you fire with a pull most likely at or near 7-8 lbs. with a long pull and seemingly longer re set. I'm 50 years old and was sure I might die of old age in a pistol match waiting for the re set :) I did a ton of research prior to changing out my trigger and settled on the Zev Ultimate kit with 2# spring. There are many aftermarket triggers out there that are most likely as good (maybe better), but my experience with other triggers is limited to non practical application. The safety on the Zev is twice as wide as standard and very smooth anadized aluminum. I put over 200 rounds through it the day I changed it out with not even a hint of discomfort. I guess if you can "spring" (pun intended) for a new trigger, then you solve your blister issue as well as having a trigger you can adjust to your likeing and needs. I can't imagine that positioning your finger in a way that puts it anywhere but centered over the trigger, pulling straight rearward will help with your accuracy. most of us would take the pain over missing the shot. Good luck with your search for solution :)

You can also trim the bottom, outside, edge of the trigger guard some. Did that on a friends gun and it alleviated the problem for him.

Did that on my G35 way back when I got it. Trigger finger angle makes it drag on the inside of the trigger guardand I took some sandpaper and beveled the inside of the trigger guard and polished it very smooth.

Also need to "work" the edge of the trigger safety so it lays down smooth when depressed. Easy to do with the edge of an Xacto blade.

Edited by bountyhunter

New here. Carried and shot a glock 20 for years no blister, have the big back strap on my 34, no blister ( I do use the production zev with the short reset). I also use just the tip on the trigger. Another solution might be more dry fire time, eventually the blister will calius.

Edited by andrewtac