Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
joshua

Mini Milling Machine

Erik,

Frank Roderus, whose website is mentioned above, used a Grizzly mini mill to put cocking serrations in a slide (on his Sistema project), to cut a front dovetail sight (also on the Sistema project) and to port a slide (the Commander project).

He sells a CD for about $22 that contains a detailed description with pictures of the steps he took on both projects. Well worth the $$$ for anyone considering using a mini mill to work on 1911s.

I have a ShopTask, I do all my 'smithing' on this machine. I also spend a lot of time making task specific work holding fixtures. I'm saddled with a 4x6' area. I've learned a lot, and getting better. Most of my 1911 barrel or slide work is cut close, finish by hand. There is no substitute for a real lathe or mill, but good work can be done on a 3 in 1 import with proper set up, tools and patience. You have to work a little harder and smarter, that's all.

Somewhere around the early to mid 80's, I bought a Jet 16 Milling machine. It was a 3hp 3 phase machine, and I got a phase converter (static). I did gunsmith work on it and never found it lacking. I learned the machine, and could make it do whatever I needed. If you could find one of these, I know you would not be disapointed.

Mike

Several years back I purchased a "Smithy" mill/lathe combo. I found much the same accuracy issues very frustrating and used the machine to make some brackets and mounted a Mitutoyo digimatic quill, and digital readout. Complete open guns are no problem, milling, drilling,turning, and threading are no problem. I too would like to have a Bridgeport but sometimes you have to make do with what ya got.

I like cuttin stuf wit thangs Cut me up a sks burral one time so it shot strait but man it wuz a shootin them coons when u pulled the triger that metal is hard to but not wit heatin it up. 

Posted (edited)

Clausing 8520 is a nice little mill that is plenty accurate for pistol work if you know how to use it.  Good condition units are around $2k and a much better investment than cheap foreign made machines. 

FBD5F6CB-935E-44B3-A23C-48024D261ECB.jpeg

Edited by ltdmstr