Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long vs short

Racegun38s

Help,

In the quest to push my learning curve I switched from a 5" sti based racegun to anew short stroked gun and have steadily watched my shooting season disintegrate . i bought the @#$%

hot gun but boy what problems.Top dollar gun from famous gunsmith. I've found that small and short really means heavy and slow. By the time I add a tungsten guiderod to control the beast and a chrome magwell to balance out the gun I need to work out with Arnold Schwarzennegger to be able to get thru a field course. it is affecting my accuracy as my hits have gone from mostly a's to half a's and c's with the . I was 2 points from getting my B card and 60 days laterI'm probably 6points away.(not good or bad investment).Any suggestions to saving my shooting season would be greatly appreciated? Should I go back to old gun or devote next two months to experimentation and practice. BY THE WAY I SHOOT AT LEAST 3-4 MATCHES A MONTH.( THAT DISCLOSURE MAKES ME SADDER). Help.

well I'd ditch the tungsten guide rod and heavy magwell. The advantage to the short guns is there lightweight, and thus faster transitions. As you have noticed if you add weight, it makes the gun harder to move around. It won't shoot as soft as a long gun, unless it is an IMM ;) or if you weight it down to the point you lose its advantage.

Also don't forget, you are playing with a new toy, don't expect to get on to it all of a sudden, it'll take some getting used to. I'd say take it back to its as shipped condition and work with it for awhile. Pay attention to your transition splits and get used to it.

... and keep your spirits up. In "C" class chasing a "B" card, you are probably making more simple mistakes than real equipment driven failures. Scores as low as 35% will still register and hurt your average, so its more important to shoot steady scores in the low "B" range than trying to set the world on fire with an occasional "A" score. Get used to the gun, shoot steady and quickly. Don't aim once and expect to fire a quick double tap. Make every shot an aimed shot. Lots of quick single well aimed shots with faster transitions, are better than a quick double tap with bad aim and a big pause between targets. Don't have any disasters to accumulate bad scores. Plan to move up slow and steady. You don't have to make quantum leaps. Its an average...

Slow is fast.

the two guns handle very different..the inputs you get and how you act on them will be different too..it will take time..and it will seem like you are going backwards..but stay with it..

you are still probably using your long gun responses to a short gun input..you have trained your subconscious to see and respond to certain inputs..a specific dot track, a specific recoil impulse, a specific sound impulse..now with the short gun you have changed all of that..your wanting to put a heavy magwell and tungsten rod is you trying to make the gun feel like what you are used to..

you will need to get out and basically start over..tracking your progress on drills to see if it is an improvement..over time..

one of the tough and expensive realizations is that what works for others..may or may not work for you..and only time and work will get you there...

I find club match shooting doesn't really allow me work on these things..especially when it comes to working out a new gun, new loads or new techniques..it is a good proving ground..but usually if I show up at a match and expect to train and learn anything..I come away more frustrated..

good luck..

ditto. You have to get used to the gun. it will happen. when i tried a different spring my hits were still there but my hand felt it was being beaten each time i pull the trigger.

after some rounds, maybe a thousand, it did not matter anymore