Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More sight mounted sideways

noylj

I have seen several race guns with the C-More sight mounted sideways. Besides looking strange, I can't see how the owner can make sight adjustments with the windage screws and the elevation lock screw being next to the slide.

What is the advantage of this mount?

I changed to a sideways mount this year and I really like the dot being a lot closer to the bore of the gun. I pick the dot up a lot quicker, I don't have as much offset on those real close, tight shots and I have less trouble finding the dot on the one handed shots, especially weak hand only. What I don't like is the bulk and I've got such a long slide racker now that it really torques the slide when I rack it and it kind of binds things up. I've got my gunsmith working on a new mount to a Vortex Razor Dot. it looks like we are going to be able to get the dot at the same height, with a lot less bulk.

Dot sits lower than the more traditional, and much better looking, vertical mount. Comes in handy if you switch back and forth a lot between optics and iron sights.

Yeah. Sarge covers my main reason for converting - switching between iron sights and open is much easier for me. YMMV

I also converted last year after shooting the traditional mounts for years. Dot aquisition is much eaiser and you don't have to make hold over/under adjustments like a top mount. I have a short racker on the right side of my Limcat. Johnny made two rackers for my gun one long that comes out on the left side and the short one for the right side. I like the right side racker better than I did a normal left side racker that I used before the change in mounts.

I went for the sideways mount because it indexed more like the iron sights I was used to in production, because I knew there'd be fewer ejection issues, and almost all the open shooters at my club use it. Might have something to do with Jim Thompson (Quinn II) being an active member of the club and on the BOD.

After shooting the sideways mount, I'm hooked.

However, when wifEy and I shot the Brazil IPSC Championship, we borrowed guns from some great guys there. Her borrowed Limcat had the standard mount, and she never complained or had a problem with re-learning the indexing. She was nice enough to let me take the loaner with the sideways mount....maybe because she knew I'd complain.