Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I HATE WINDOWS 8

Ray_Z

New computer. It's got Windows 8 on it. Been trying to use it for over a month. This is the first match I've scored on it, and it's been a real pain in the butt. I've been so lost that I bought a copy of Windows 8 for dummies. I asked for the other book on it and I had to explain to the guy that I needed Windows 8 for idiots. Anyway, I've gotten all the way to uploading to USPSA and everything went to hell in a hand basket. I got the match uploaded [ I think ]. but now I have to figure out how to upload the classifiers. The screens aren't the same after I clink on browse. Any of you computer gurus out there got a plan other than the one I've got in mind. Throwing this thing out the closes window.

I'm sure you'll get used to it. Worst case scenario, re-install windows 7 if you have a computer that had it. Is windows 8 stable? (No blue screens) Is it a matter of learning the OS or is it crappy? Sadly, windows tends to get every OTHER OS right. Was hoping this was going to break the trend.

I bet you there are a ton of little tutorials on youtube or just online in general that will help you. YouTube or Google things like Windows 8 Basics, Windows 8 Tutorials, Windows 8 tips and tricks. You might also try Microsoft's website. I'm sure they have tutorials as well.

Hope you figure it out!

Edited by GregSmith

This is frustrating. I have 3 computers I'd like to upgrade this year, but Windows 8 looks to me to be way too touch screen/tablet oriented for a desktop or laptop. I'll hold off 6 months or a year to see what version 8.? looks like before I upgrade (and no, Mac is not an upgrade for a Windows user).

I've not yet worked with Win8, and I've had some caution about it. Win7 is still available.

You might clone the Win8, (to allow returning to it if/when ...) and install Win7 until such time that Win8 is necessary

There are both the standard retail version and the OEM versions (same functionality, but no MS support for OEM) of the Win7 versions.

Guy

This is frustrating. I have 3 computers I'd like to upgrade this year, but Windows 8 looks to me to be way too touch screen/tablet oriented for a desktop or laptop. I'll hold off 6 months or a year to see what version 8.? looks like before I upgrade (and no, Mac is not an upgrade for a Windows user).

Actually it is not, it's optimized for touch screen. If you have a computer without on just use your mouse... simple as that.

Actually it is not, it's optimized for touch screen. If you have a computer without on just use your mouse... simple as that.

If I'm sitting in a stationary position with a large monitor and a keyboard, I'd rather deal with drop down/pop up menus and mouse buttons, not sliding screens. I love sliding screens on my iPad, and as soon as a comparable Windows tablet will run Office and my cotton industry apps on a tablet, I'll switch my tabled to Win 8. But that's not how I want to work at a desk.

Yeah you need to get used to it. Not everybody enjoys the "metro style" thing. It is just an evolution towards tablets and keyboard less input.

Internet Explorer now talks directly to the GPU and graphical rendering is a lot faster. FYI most documents now use markup languages so when you open them natively in W8, you use the same libraries from IE.

I am a software engineer specializing in the Microsoft stack, therefore I am not 100% neutral.

Let me (or any Mod) know if you want more feedback on this... and I'll move it to the computer forum (so it doesn't get locked here).

be

Yes please. I really need help navigating through ezwinscore with this [ new and improved??]

New computer. It's got Windows 8 on it. Been trying to use it for over a month. This is the first match I've scored on it, and it's been a real pain in the butt. I've been so lost that I bought a copy of Windows 8 for dummies. I asked for the other book on it and I had to explain to the guy that I needed Windows 8 for idiots. Anyway, I've gotten all the way to uploading to USPSA and everything went to hell in a hand basket. I got the match uploaded [ I think ]. but now I have to figure out how to upload the classifiers. The screens aren't the same after I clink on browse. Any of you computer gurus out there got a plan other than the one I've got in mind. Throwing this thing out the closes window.

I don't understand how Win8 affects uploading of scores and classifier activity. Those are webpage browser activities. I admit I've not tried it myself that far (I did test ezws on win8 to see if it would even come up, to tell Roger Maier that it would work at all), but can you give us screen prints of what's wrong or otherwise additional descriptions?

Oh, and for the 'get a mac' crowd of which I am one, you still have to run windows on the mac. I ran win8 on my mac under vmware fusion.

I tried Win 8 when it was in beta. I know not a fair comparison, but once I looked it over good I did buy a new laptop. I went 10.8.2 and never looked back. If you just have to have a windows computer Win 7 is the way to go.

I don't understand how Win8 affects uploading of scores and classifier activity. Those are webpage browser activities. I admit I've not tried it myself that far (I did test ezws on win8 to see if it would even come up, to tell Roger Maier that it would work at all), but can you give us screen prints of what's wrong or otherwise additional descriptions?

Oh, and for the 'get a mac' crowd of which I am one, you still have to run windows on the mac. I ran win8 on my mac under vmware fusion.

My problem is finding where to browse to after clicking on classifier upload. With the old computer it was C/ documents and settings/ tn11_ date of match then my email address. Then click on upload classifier file. This is different.

If they've moved stuff around again for Win8, you just have to react to it, figure out where your documents are now, adjust and go on. We all had to make that transition when Vista came out, and Win7 kept the same naming convention. If Win8 has changed it again, just figure it out.

If they've moved stuff around again for Win8, you just have to react to it, figure out where your documents are now, adjust and go on. We all had to make that transition when Vista came out, and Win7 kept the same naming convention. If Win8 has changed it again, just figure it out.

That's just it. I've spent days going through my files and can't find it.

We got the mother-in-law a new laptop for Christmas and I started setting it up last night....the frustrating part is trying to find where they put everything as compared to previous windows......it works, but damn if they didn't do a good job of hiding things....eventually found what I needed but as most all things new it will just take time to figure it out....glad mine doesn't have it.

• 2 weeks later...