Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to create a Grand Power folder?

NicVerAZ

STI dropped them. Flash in the pan. expensive mags, and not much different than other more readily available platforms. lack of aftermarket support. In 5 years noone will remember them.

Is this why they moved to a bigger factory?

It is a great platform. I can't repeat it enough.

I am split on my opinion of the STI / Grand Power experiment.

On the one hand they brought the platform to the US and offered their exposure and support.

On the other hand they thought they needed to machine their own hammer and said hammer had failures which turned away a lot of people from the platform.

As far as aftermarket: competition holster, front and rear sights are available. Indeed, the magazines are expensive and only 2 online resellers exist. They are in the low $40 for a 17 rounds, $60 for a 20 rounds (which by the way manages to pass the USPSA rules), but it is not that much more than a good Glock magazine. These magazines are high quality Mec Gar magazines and they are based on the CZ 75 mags.

Currently you can find a K100 Mk6 for $429. It is an obvious sign that the platform has a hard time in the US right now, but I say it is an awesome price considering the gun it is.

I am pretty confident that the platform will catch on.

Let's see in 5 years which one can laugh at the other.

Oh and the advantage of shooting a rare animal:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C3A-1273085262

I can buy a 20-round magazine for my gun while everything for the Glock, S&P, XDm, etc... all sold out.

And there still plenty of these guys:

http://www.jgsales.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=k100&search_in_description=1

• 4 weeks later...

STI dropped them. Flash in the pan. expensive mags, and not much different than other more readily available platforms. lack of aftermarket support. In 5 years noone will remember them.

Get back to me in a few years and we'll compare notes.

Better yet, get back to me after you've run one back to back with a CZ for a few hundred rounds.

I can't explain why STI did not have the upgraded front and rear sights available. They were available from the factory.

I can't explain why STI didn't have the bigger mag button in the system, or why they discontinued the adjustable sight model. They were available from the factory.

I can't explain why the magazines were priced on the high side. I won't divulge any trade secrets, but there is no reason for the mags to be retailing for more than $40 or $60 for the 20 rounders.

I don't predict anyone taking a 5lb maul to thier CZ to rid themselves of the stink just because they found religion after trying the Grand Power. However, I think in time you may be surprised.

Edited by Canuck223

JG Sales sold out all their K100s. The guy I bought mine from on gunbroker.com has raised his prices. Granted, there is a gun rush now and prices are high, but it is still a display of confidence and the word of mouth is excellent.

Edited by NicVerAZ