Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have a Sig SS Elite 9mm...what should I do?

thegeneric

Never shot competition, from what I understand IDPA in ESP division is a good place to start. Any other suggestions?

So far the gun has:

Tacops magwell grips (stippled)

Uses 20rd Mec Gar mags

Can I get the slide lightened? Any feedback on whether or not this is a worthwhile mod?

What sights should/could I use?

What trigger work should/could I get done?

What factory ammo should I use?

Thanks in advance!

You can't lighten the slide, not legal for USPSA - Production, or Any IDPA division.

Better make sure it makes weight for IDPA.

Ammo - Test a couple. Buy what works well and that you can afford. Some people just like the Win White Box from Walmart. It's decent and cheap. Another option is American Eagle, which comes in more options of bullet weight. 124 and 147 are popular.

Atlanta Arms and Ammo, or DC Ammo would be a good place to get dedicated ammo for competition.

Sights, use what's on the gun until you shoot it for a while.

12 lb recoil spring, 17 lb hammer spring, Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight, LPA rear sight, polished trigger bar, worked over hammer and sear, Bruce Gray light sear spring and light firing pin safety block spring. Shoot it lots. I have two IDPA ESP guns, one SSE, one alloy, that I have been using for a year, love'em.

Gray can do the work on them. I did my own modifications on the sear and hammer and internals,, but I did buy some parts from Gray, good parts.

I use Rem UMC 115 gr FMJ or Atlanta Arms 115 JHP reloads most of the time. Both of these have light primers so never a problem with the 17 lb mainspring. The double action pull is excellent with the light springs and some polishing.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

If you're new to competition you may want to just go and shoot with what you have.

Spend money on ammo until you get a good feel what class and type of gun you want to compete with.

OR

you'll wind up like me with a gun for every class in both IDPA and USPSA. Its alot of fun to own and shoot them all BUT its tough to get really good using them all.

Its often said here" pick one and shoot it!!!

Good fortune and Merry CHRISTmas

12 lb recoil spring, 17 lb hammer spring, Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight, LPA rear sight, polished trigger bar, worked over hammer and sear, Bruce Gray light sear spring and light firing pin safety block spring. Shoot it lots. I have two IDPA ESP guns, one SSE, one alloy, that I have been using for a year, love'em.

Gray can do the work on them. I did my own modifications on the sear and hammer and internals,, but I did buy some parts from Gray, good parts.

I use Rem UMC 115 gr FMJ or Atlanta Arms 115 JHP reloads most of the time. Both of these have light primers so never a problem with the 17 lb mainspring. The double action pull is excellent with the light springs and some polishing.

Joe

Joe,

What type of recoil Spring do you use ?

Jakub

Jakub--Wolff variable rate 12 lb, I buy them 46212 from gunsprings.com, the Wolff direct internet order site. I replace them fairly often. The only reason I use them instead of the stock orange end 15 lb in a 9mm gun is that the muzzle doesn't dip as much when the slide goes back in to battery. I don't use the 12 lb spring in a defense gun with hotter ammo, I use the stock recoil spring there. I also use a 19 lb hammer spring in a defense gun and the factory sear and fpsb springs. The light springs are for an IDPA gun only.

Joe

Never shot competition, from what I understand IDPA in ESP division is a good place to start. Any other suggestions?

So far the gun has:

Tacops magwell grips (stippled)

Uses 20rd Mec Gar mags

Can I get the slide lightened? Any feedback on whether or not this is a worthwhile mod?

What sights should/could I use?

What trigger work should/could I get done?

What factory ammo should I use?

Thanks in advance!

Get out and shoot a few events! All of this crap isnt going to do you any good until you learn to game a stage, reload the gun, etc... Shooting IDPA or USPSA is about much more than what bells and whistles your gun has and all of this extra stuff is not going to make a difference in where you place.

If you have never shot in competition you need trigger time, not a fancy gun. Spend your money on ammo, compenents, and reloading equipment. Learn what you like/dislike about your current gun and make educated moves from there. Adding a bunch of stuff to your gun right now is not going to make you any better.

Its been said here a million times but I will rehash it for you again: "its the indian not the arrow". You could give a $150 Hi-point pistol to a top level shooter and a $3000 open gun to you 99.9 times out of 100 that top tier shooter is going to mop the floor with you its all about trigger time, spending more money is not going to help your cause any right now.

• 5 weeks later...