Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprises' Rocky Mountain 3-Gun August 1-3, 2013

Ok, ok, ok.... ok

Do I need to bring targets for the sight-in range at Whittington. Or do they have immediate gratification steel out there to listen to.

Gotta re-zero rifle and shotgun. What should I bring?

You can purchase paper targets at the entry gate. There is steel in place.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, ok, ok.... ok

Do I need to bring targets for the sight-in range at Whittington. Or do they have immediate gratification steel out there to listen to.

If you're driving, bring whatever you need. If I could, I'd bring a rest, spotting scope, and a bunch more ammo.

41 feet????

The range is all in one valley, probably no more than 300 ft difference in elevation.

Pull it up on Google earth, search for "nra Whittington center, raton, nm". Where it put you at is the from gate. Go north about 1.5 miles and you will see the ranges on a road that goes basically east/west. The sight in range is next one east of the 1k range.

jj

I dont know why typed feet... My bottom hold over at sea level using Swarovski's Ballistic Calculator is 574 yards, at 7000 feet its 615. Ill look at Google Earth, I wasn't tracking it gave elevation

Edited by cworks

The holdover differences I found using the Hornady calculator are minimal out to 300 yards. At 400 I get about 2.5" less bullet drop. 500 yards is about 5" less drop. 600 yards is about 10" less than what this load normally drops at about 750 feet elavation. I'm glad they have that sight in range to make sure.

Yeah, on a typical .5 moa turret scope you are only talking a click or two difference at 400. The real difference is that your round will fly a bit flatter at distance. 95% of your rifle shots will be within 400yrds, So the rezero will be minimal. Remember that you are shooting at 12" plates out at 400 and will most likely be shooting at an ABC or full sized IPSC beyond that. If you rezero at 300 your shots will only be 6" or so inches higher than usual at 600yds. Not enough to cause you to miss on a full sized IPSC.

Weather is looking promising. Supposed to be in tbe mid 80's all next week, with slight chance for scattered thunderstorms. John Paul must have pitched in some extra sponsorship by paying the weather bill for Denise.

We're heading down to the range end of the week!

Things seem to be on schedule! Got a trailer full of prizes!

Registration is noon to 1700 on Wednesday, July 31. I will probably be ready a little early and if you let me know, I will probably stay open a little late!

Late registration is 0615-0645 on Thursday morning!

Shooter's briefing is 0645 August 1 at the Coors Event Center!!!!

See you all there!

:wub: Denise

P.S. Don't forget slings for both rifle and shotgun, and magnet your ammo before you come! If a magnet sticks to the projectile, you can't use it! :surprise:

Thanks NMBOpen! :goof:

There will be a reminder sign at the gate as you enter the Whittington Center.

The first time you come in, you need to go into the Gate House and sign their waiver and get a thing for your car.

There will be a sign there to help you remember things! :ph34r:

Oh yeah! It's perfectly fine to look at the stages. However, Tuesday and Wednesday, the early/staff shoot will be going on. So, we ask you not to get in the way of the shooters. They have to get the whole match done in 2 days! There will be signs on the road telling where the stages are by Tuesday! :devil:

Denise

There is steel at 300, 400 and 550yds. There are target stands for your personal paper targets out to 200.

Ok, ok, ok.... ok

If you're driving, bring whatever you need. If I could, I'd bring a rest, spotting scope, and a bunch more ammo.

Ok, ok, ok.... ok

Yous' guys are awesome, if your ever in Texas come see me and I'll you'll experience what real Chicago style pizza tastes like.

Well, here we go!

The early/staff shoot starts this morning! Thanks to all the staff's hard work I think we're ready to go!

Thanks to the USMC Combat Shooting Team for their hard work and willingness to climb mountains! :devil: Everyone has worked so hard!

Most of you won't even recognize the place! It's so green!!! We're getting some rain most every day! :surprise:

See you all soon!

Denise

Edited by Benelli Chick