Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to open?

SimonM

Hello!

I've been shooting limited for a few years and I've attended just about every competition I could find/go to. I've made steady progress during this time and especially the last two years, because I've trained more than before.

One thing has caught my attention. It seems that all the top shooters around here shoot open and part of them sometimes compete in limited class too. I've talked to those who shoot both open and limited and they tend to say that shooting open helps to develop your skills as a shooter. The newly acquired skills may then be tranferred to limited as well, according to them. Some experts like Travis Tomasie and Matt B. agree with that as far as I've read. I'm very interested in trying out this idea.

I have shot only about 300-400 rounds with a few different open pistols so I haven't got much experience with them. I shoot limited with an Edge and so I'm interested in either SVI or STI open pistols. Custom work is not an option since there isn't any decent gunsmiths who can trick them out in our country, as far as I know of. I have a couple of options in mind; an older but unfired SVI with hybricomp and a "multichamber" comp, STI Trubor or STI Stinger. I've had a chance to try out that SVI and it was pretty flat/soft (based on my limited experience with open guns) and I got handle the Stinger, which felt great, but haven't shot it.

Haven't even seen the Trubor yet, but what I've gathered from the pictures is that it's pretty much a full sized blaster.

So the questions are:

- Will it help my development as a limited shooter if I practice with an open pistol?

- Should I shy away from the shorties like the Stinger as I'm so unexperienced when it comes to open class pistols? I did like the feel of the little thing...

- What about the other options I mentioned; is the hybricomp useless nowadays when the powerfactor is lower?

I hope someone has enough energy to read through all of this...

Thank you in advance!

So the questions are:

- Will it help my development as a limited shooter if I practice with an open pistol?

- Should I shy away from the shorties like the Stinger as I'm so unexperienced when it comes to open class pistols? I did like the feel of the little thing...

- What about the other options I mentioned; is the hybricomp useless nowadays when the powerfactor is lower?

1. In my opinion, the experience with the Limited gun will build more skills with front sight acquisition, recoil control, target transitions, etc. When you go to Open, there is more reliance on how the dot is tracking through recoil. Not that there certainly aren't required skills for this as well...they sure are fun to shoot...not to mention when the eyes start to go, just show me the dot!

2. Not really...some new Shorties are set up well, & with the right recoil system & powder charge, are just as easy to get accustomer to. (Switched about 2 months ago from a 5" to a Bedell Shorty with the Recoil Master setup.)

3. Lots of theories on compensators (perform a search to get a variety of opinions). My new Shorty has 2 holes on top, plus the Bedell 7-port comp. However, I have switched to IMR SR-7625 powder (not that slow of a burning one), but gun is very smooth. So, how much gas am I really venting? Used VV-3N37 for the 1st few hundred rounds & really can't tell much difference with the way the gun handles, & this is a slow burning powder between N340 & N350. Plus, VV is tough to find right now & much more expensive then IMR.

Thanks for the opinions!

I've been on the edge for a while with this open thing. For a few years there has been only one open shooter in our local club, but now there's going to be one or two more for the next season.

I'd like to try it out, but I think that my main class will be limited after all. But going faster with the open might be too much fun to pass...

As for the guns, I have plenty of experience with the recoilmaster systems; both of my limited STI pistols have them and they feel much better to me than regular springs. What I'd like to know is that how flat and soft is the (especially interested in this)Stinger or the Trubor as they come out of the factory without the holes in the barrel. Like I mentioned earlier there isn't a smith in our area I would trust to work on an expensive pistol.

I think Open will develop other skills and basic skills faster. Its one more potential problem out of the mix. Sight alignment. If you are missing with Open its flinch or something else. And yes Open is easier to shoot. Here's the problem that bothers most new shooters. Its easier for everybody. Just having hits is usually not good enough to win Open. You have to have all the subtle skills like transistions, movement and the like. It will speed your development but still requires all the total effort that is needed to succeed. It is where a majority of the top shooters play and can be very competitive. At the top all divisions are.

If your looking for the best reliable & accurate open gun, I would let Benny Hill build mine every time. Benny has built 2 open guns, 2 limited guns, & 2 Bianchi guns for me & they have never failed me once. They have also helped me win many matches around the country.

As for your choice, open would be an easier way to progress faster.

Good Luck!

:D

Tony,

I'd love to get my hands on a true custom gun, but as I'm living in Finland it is pretty difficult. The only real option for me is to get a pistol from STI/SVI; they have importers here and so on.

I think I'm going to get my open pistol in .38 super, because I train much more than go to matches. Around here there's only 5-6 matches a year due to our long winter and indoor ranges aren't very common. From what I've read the super is a proven performer; it feeds well from the longer magazines and it's easier to make major if I take a "risk" and get that Stinger. As far as I understand it shouldn't be that hard to major pf out of a short barreled pistol when using Vihtavuori powders and those are the ones we use (them being made in Finland).

Bill,

I've been training more and more during the last to years. Just the thing that fascinates me with the open is that I could learn something faster than I'd be able to do with iron sights. It'd make somethings possible while shooting a stage that would be very hard to do without the dot.

Thank you for the replies!