Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone Carbide grip - DIY

Ultimo-Hombre

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

OP, looks great! but way, way too much work for me. I don't even really like re-loading or cleaning, only the part after the beeper goes off. For my comp guns, I have been using the Qwik Grip (now LoneWolf) since the late 90's and for carry, the Talon grip (much more abrasion resistant). Both only take like 3 minutes to install.

image36096.jpg

image36984.jpg

image36985.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've shot about 1000 rounds since application of grit and so far I love it. Yesterday was at local steel match and it is still super hot in Tampa so my hands were absolutely sweaty and I can tell you that when I grip the gun I can still feel how abrasive grit just grabs against skin even being a bit wet. Very happy with what I did to the pistol.

I also like the choice of the size of abrasive as I know if I had chosen coarser abrasive it will be too aggressive.

I am yet to make final conclusion about durability and life expectancy of this application because I have not even washed it yet but so far so good.

if you opt to do same thing on top of all advises you get here I would also recommend to be careful with selecting area of application, make sure that when in use - it will not run against inner surface of holster and perhaps do not apply it on the very bottom of the handle if you plan to install magwell, or make sure that grit application won't block magwell installation.

I will post more pictures few thousands rounds later.

Cool to see this thread still going.
I have done around 20 grip jobs now on SIG P320s since the complete grips are like $40 and not serialized.
Occasionally and on request I have added some color in with the grit.
4HMpRrlh.jpg

Edited by alma

Those are magnificent!

Thank you.

For comparison, here is one without all the color. I also do some partial styles that just put the texturing where I need it for my support hand.

Since the entire SIG P320 grip is only $45 MSRP it makes for a great platform to experiment on.

Vp2Gxozh.jpg

TchPpC9.jpg

Edited by alma

Thank you.

For comparison, here is one without all the color. I also do some partial styles that just put the texturing where I need it for my support hand.

Since the entire SIG P320 grip is only $45 MSRP it makes for a great platform to experiment on.

Just don't stipple one for use in IDPA SSP :devil::blush::mellow:

Apparently. I did have someone there shooting a fully textured purple grip in ESP and thankfully she didn't have any issues at the equipment check. It made me a bit nervous since glue and grit isn't mentioned in the IDPA rulebook like it explicitly is in the USPSA one.

What is the best way to clean the grit? Mine accumulated some light dirt, what is the most effective cleaner/technique that won't wear off grit?

I spray mine with brake cleaner and scrub with a nylon brush that's a little stiffer than a toothbursh then hose it off with the brake cleaner again.

The second spray is key. if you just spray once and scrub it doesn't really get any cleaner.

What is the best way to clean the grit? Mine accumulated some light dirt, what is the most effective cleaner/technique that won't wear off grit?

I just use warm water and dish soap with an old toothbrush then use an air compressor to dry.

Edit: Might as well post up my SiC grips. 2 part Marine Epoxy and 60 grit SiC.

J614yEU.jpg

Edited by EngelMacher

I just use warm water and dish soap with an old toothbrush then use an air compressor to dry.

Edit: Might as well post up my SiC grips. 2 part Marine Epoxy and 80 grit SiC.

J614yEU.jpg

Those look very nice. I am about to try some 80 on another project. I have been using 36.

Edit: Might as well post up my SiC grips. 2 part Marine Epoxy and 80 grit SiC.

J614yEU.jpg

Those look very nice. I am about to try some 80 on another project. I have been using 36.

Actually, I did not remember the grit correctly. I just looked it up and I used 60 grit, not the 80 grit.