Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to buy and what to avoid in lever actions

Matt Griffin

I have a friend who wants to get a lever action in a larger caliber (.44, 30.06, etc.) and I don't know anything about the various brands and who is making a good lever gun these days. This is for shooting and hunting, not SASS. Last I checked Marlin still made a good lever gun, but I don't know anything about the other options or if that remains the case. Any advice appreciated.

Matt

My family has two lever guns for hunting - a marlin 336 in 30-30, and a Model 99 Savage in .300 Savage - both have been in the family for decades and have been beat, but are still good reliable lever guns with decent accuracy. My brother had a Winchester 30-30 he used on occasion and I never really took to it as it would beat the holy heck out of you if you were taking more than a shot or two, and compared to the other two the trigger was horrible.

I had an opportunity to get a marlin lever gun in .357 mag years ago and I still kick myself for not getting it (young and no dough).

Edited by Bamboo

For hunting, its hard to beat the Marllins. They are typically much heavier built guns than the Winchester '92/'94 and clones. The model 336 in 30-30 is a very very popular gun for brush hunting in the South. And the big bore Marlin Guide Guns are nice as well.

A year or so ago I bought a Rossi Model 92 in 44 mag. Stainless and brown... I had a peep rear and fiber optic front sight installed cause us old guys can't see, and I shoot a lot of lighter loads to plink with it. Turns out it's way fun on the plate racks! Full house loads make it a good 125 yd or so gun. Around here, the shots can be had much closer. Fun gun. I guess that's what it's all about?

Matt,

What is he considering a large caliber, weight limit, shot distance? I have several lever guns and each is different. For a big boomer, I prefer the Winchester/Browning 1886 because the weight helps tame the bigger cartridges. The Win. 1894/'94 is a good brush gun, but it is light and will kick accordingly. For a true bottle necked case, either the Browning BLR or the Winchester 1895 are good options.

Matt,

If he goes down to the Pistol cartridges, do not discount the 1892 clones. Some of them are well fit and finished and just as strong (if not stronger imo) than the Marlin. Basically they are a scaled down 1886 with the two locking lugs to hold the bolt in place. To me, they feel better in the hands compared to a Marlin, but that is just personal preference (I don't like the fat fore end on the Marlin).