Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone here competing in 3 gun that has neck or back issues?

traindriver

I was planning on joining a local club near me that has 3 gun and several other types of competition monthy. Heck I'm still going to join the club but I won't get to do any hard charging kind of competition like I want too for awhile. I had low back surgery 8 years ago and only have occasional twinges here and there. Just found out I have a bad C5 and C6 in my neck that has really been kicking my butt for the last 3 weeks. In fact I'm having an MRI on Thrusday to find out what is going on. Worse case would be surgery:-/ the Dr. is saying I would not loose enough range of motion to hinder my shooting if we go that route.

Are any of you fellows competing and dealing with such issues or have had surgery before? The neck pain is one thing but a couple days ago I was having some freaky stuff going on with my right arm and hand but the trigger finger worked just fine. We'll see in a few days. I guess I'm part to blame as I spend numerous hours sitting in the engineer seat of locomotives and getting bounced and sometimes jerked around and not exercising like I should. My exercise pattern has had a high suck factor for quite awhile now. I guess I just need some encouragement from some of you who may have overcome some crap like this. Oh yea, Friday I'm going to pick up a Mossberg 930 JM that I've had in layaway for about 6 weeks. That alone is motivation to kick this hinderance to the curb. Thanks men.

I shot some shotgun after a car wreck that caused some pretty bad neck pain in the past when I shot skeet. On the shotgun. big thing is watching the recoil so light shells are your friend and compensate with a tighter choke. The good thing about the 930 is the gas system. For shotguns your trying to get low recoil out of, a light shell and a heavy gun help with actual recoil. A good recoil pad and a gas gun help with perceived recoil. The good thing about 3 gun is usually its not a ton of shotgun and its not all right there in a row

• 1 month later...

I was planning on joining a local club near me that has 3 gun and several other types of competition monthy. Heck I'm still going to join the club but I won't get to do any hard charging kind of competition like I want too for awhile. I had low back surgery 8 years ago and only have occasional twinges here and there. Just found out I have a bad C5 and C6 in my neck that has really been kicking my butt for the last 3 weeks. In fact I'm having an MRI on Thrusday to find out what is going on. Worse case would be surgery:-/ the Dr. is saying I would not loose enough range of motion to hinder my shooting if we go that route.

Are any of you fellows competing and dealing with such issues or have had surgery before? The neck pain is one thing but a couple days ago I was having some freaky stuff going on with my right arm and hand but the trigger finger worked just fine. We'll see in a few days. I guess I'm part to blame as I spend numerous hours sitting in the engineer seat of locomotives and getting bounced and sometimes jerked around and not exercising like I should. My exercise pattern has had a high suck factor for quite awhile now. I guess I just need some encouragement from some of you who may have overcome some crap like this. Oh yea, Friday I'm going to pick up a Mossberg 930 JM that I've had in layaway for about 6 weeks. That alone is motivation to kick this hinderance to the curb. Thanks men.

Getting the MRI evaluation of the neck is a great idea. Unless the spinal cord or nerve roots of your neck are compressed horribly on the MRI, most neck pain can be effectively managed with a combination of anti-inflammatories, an at- home over-the-door traction device and some physical therapy. Keep the traction device in your closet once you are better- the condition tends to wax and wane over time. Interestingly, pain from degenerative disc disease may increase with new activities at first, but then tends to die down with time. Thoughtful, progressive exercise and toning of your core muscles will help both your neck and low back. Being sedentary is poison for an arthritic spine.

If it does come down to surgery, a one level cervical fusion will not change your effective range of motion enough that you will ever notice it. In fact, most people who require a fusion have already lost most of the motion from the affected spinal segment long before the surgery ever happens. Good luck!

I have been exactly where you are. I've had two back surgeries. I can tell you that I have been through weight fluctuations between 205 and 290 since the surgeries and also times when I worked out religiously with a trainer with a main goal of core strength and I have also been a lazy ass for years at a time. It ain't rocket science. Lose weight, strengthen your core. Most problems will disappear.