Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuraccy for STI 1911 USPSA singlestack anyone

tiger49931

Any one know the outta teh box accuracy? Im looking for kind of an all around 1911 ( i know bad choice get specifically built to purpose guns.) Looking to do a few local bullseye matches and idpa cdp division and steel challenge with a single stack match or two. i know usually that would equal 4 or 5 guns but trying to see if i can do a all around good pairing. any help would be greatly appreciated .....

I owned one for a short period of time that I bought on this forum. I sold it to a friend that needed a gun that would run and it turned out to be a very good one for him. I never shot it for groups so I can't quote a number but off hand at 15 yards I could put it in a 2" circle with no problem. I only know that because it's my warmup drill when I practice. It would fit at least 3 of the 4 things you listed. Just have to bench it to see if it could do good enough for bullseye.

Give STI a call and see. I'm not a big fan of Les, but you can check out one of his guns with the 1.5" guarantee. If you keep it simple it should meet all your division requirements. CJ (1911 Heaven) is the best place to order from.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a sti Trojan in 40 cal. I haven't done any practice shooting with it but I shoot a match with it last week and I was very happy with it. I don't know anything about idpa or bullseye but it seems that the 40 cal is a very versatile round. You can load down to minor for steel challenge and load major for uspsa single stack. Also the Trojan came with adjustable rear sight and a FO front sight. Just my 2 cents

If you're going to shoot any bullseye, pick up a Les Baer. 1.5" guarantee or not. His base guns will shoot 3" at 50 yards all day at a price that doesn't break the bank. Then just set it up so it's legal for IDPA and it will be legal for SS or L10 as well.

A magwell and your grips of choice, plus appropriate mags are all you will have to do to the gun besides shoot shoot shoot to break it in.

I purchased my Trojan in 45 acp based on some accuracy tests in a few magazines-<1.5 at 25 yds.. It lived up to its billing. Very accurate. The gun was sent back to STI four times. It was re-barreled. I replaced all the fire control components. I should have just purchased a Baer or Wilson for the same price as what I eventually invested in the STI.

The Trojan is a nice price point. I would never buy another. I should have paid once for a better gun rather than buy a good gun and spent money on making it better.

I do not shoot it anymore.

I spent the money on a Tripp built SS and never regretted it.

Buy the absolute best you can almost afford, it is cheaper in the long run.

Edited by pjb45