Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! Multiple gun problems

MikeFoley

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to ask then, what is the point in continuing this discussion?

Because this is a shooting forum and he isn't the only one with the problem, a lot of us are interested.

This forum has a thread on beef jerky, favorite Simpson song, and a three page thread on a post from a dog.

I think this thread is a bit more relevant don't you?

Guest Larry Cazes

I agree. This is much more pertinent to competitive shooting then the latest bitch session on the "what I hate" board. It isn't really burning too much bandwidth either. I have been folowing this one for a while and find it quite interesting.

About 45-60 days ago I was firing real fast doubles at a close target and found my hammer at the half notch. This started to show up about every 100 rounds, but always while "hammering" out doubles, never with two sight pictures

OK, in the spirit of being constructive and in an attempt to reverse any bad karma from my last post, I re-read the thread from the beginning. The quote above jumped out at me. Are you still doing shooting as you describe above when the hammer following occcurs?

If this is not the case, please ignore the next paragraph.

My last and only suggestion (and this is from an E-Class shooter, so take it with a shaker of salt) is that waiting for the sight picture and calling the second shot might "fix" the issue with no more mechanical intervention. Yeah, you might lose a few tenths on short stages, but the hammer follow is taking you down 10 or 20 places, so which is worse?

EricW,

That is part of what I am attempting, trying to overcome this by being more deliberate. When evil Fomeister comes out in the heat of a stage with a couple of close targets, the fast finger takes over. If it were every stage, or every match, then I would be more conscious of it. Since it is very intermittent, it is hard to focus on it.

I just want to return to the happy days of shooting matches without complication. I think the problem has existed all along, I just wasn't fast enough to notice it until this year. I think SmittyFL will agree, it is easy to put this out of your concern, until it happens again. A lot of the "fixes" I tried, I believed in, then whammo! another evil hammer fall. FYI, I shoot 4-5 matches per month.

With any 2011...has he done it with any other guns?

I have not seen him do it with anything but a 2011. I know (and so does he) that is is "him". Fortunatly for him, he can shoot a Glock very well too.

One day after a match, he invited the squad to hang out and let him shoot their guns. After seeing him do it 2 times in a row with guns that had never followed for the owner, I decided not to let him shoot mine ;)

Fo,

I'm real intrigued by this problem since I've seen it for the last two years with another shooter.

Question. Can you make it double with a light grip on the gun?, and if so what happens with the trigger 'riding'? Can you isolate the two actions to see which contributes to the problem, (ie. hard grip, riding)?

When my Gold Cup used to double we had to take out the verticle(up & down) movement slop in the trigger bow and also use a four leaf sear spring to control the trigger bounce or movement.

I've seen a lot of verticle play in the trigger bows in standard S*I guns and I'm curious if this might be a factor?

Fo,

I'm real intrigued by this problem since I've seen it for the last two years with another shooter.

Question. Can you make it double with a light grip on the gun?, and if so what happens with the trigger 'riding'? Can you isolate the two actions to see which contributes to the problem, (ie. hard grip, riding)?

When my Gold Cup used to double we had to take out the verticle(up & down) movement slop in the trigger bow and also use a four leaf sear spring to control the trigger bounce or movement.

I've seen a lot of verticle play in the trigger bows in standard S*I guns and I'm curious if this might be a factor?

I did not know there was a four leaf spring available. I have considered a different trigger.

You just reminded me that I have not tried a light grip and fast pulls at the range yet. I will do so and report back. This might take a few days because of daylight savings time and cold weather.

Does it hurt to watch SmittyFL do this, knowing what a good shooter he is?

I had a close target in today's match, and it happened like a reflex between shots on the first target in that stage. I ran the stage to the top of my ability, except having to rack the slide. Not sure of the cost in time, but frustrating. I tried to replicate the problem with a really loose grip, but no luck. I had a similar experience with a shotgun after the match. I am determined to beat this, and am leaning more toward that short trigger Vikings501 has been suggesting all along.

Just to add my two cents...............I am going back a few years..................but I seem to remember a friend of mine having the same problemmo...... a lot of smith time but no real answers............same thing with some people can get it to happen and some can't. It turned out to be a poorly fitted safety! If you rode the safety vs. not you affected the way the trigger parts worked. So, whoever you sent it to should be told to look there. I remember that there were four seasoned shooters looking at this guy's gun. He was flustered and so were we. We came about the solution because some of us rode the safety and some didn't.

Anyways that is what I remember....... :blink:

Installed a short trigger in my gun tonight. Had to take a little off the top and bottom of the shoe, and adjust spring tension slightly, but seems about the same pull. Will guage it tomorrow. Seems to reset more positively, but it could be that I am releasing it further. If it solves the problem, I can adjust to it, hopefully within the first week. Will follow-up.

This short trigger feels really awkward next to my single stack with the long trigger. This is the only gun transition where I think will notice it as they have almost exact grip dimensions. I did some dry fire drills, and it is gonna take some getting used to for sure.

Other notes, the disconnector rides a little higher than before, and I had to remove some obvious burrs in the front inside of the plastic gripframe to make the trigger feel smooth and without initial hesitation. I wonder if those burrs were a factor before, but then again, I wonder if everything could be a factor. :)

FO

The latest information I got comes from a local gun builder who suggested that the thinning and reashaping of the plastic grip can weaken it to the extent that a strong grip will flex it. What finally sunk into my head was that the direction of the flex was fore and aft rather than port and starboard (in the direction of the barrel vs perpendicular). With this in mind I can now readily accept that the trigger bow is being repositioned or disturbed by the shooter's actions.

Three suggestions where laid out:

1. Reinforce the grip with fiberglass prior to shapping it.

2. Increase the weak hand grip while decreasing the strong hand tension.

3. Slap the trigger versus riding it.