Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! Multiple gun problems

MikeFoley

Hold the boat, the saga continues and seems to get more wierd by th malfunction. but we may be on to something.

I just took the gun I borrowed and shot A5 with yesterday down to the club. I cleaned it and put 6 rounds in a mag and started to shoot 3 sets of doubles. After the first shot, the hammer stopped at the half notch. This gun is a stock Edge that has been hardchromed and grip textured, that's all, no trigger work. The serial number begins with CM58xx and mine is CM69xx.

I fear that this is a sear pin hole in the frame that is out of spec based mainly on the fact that a local gunsmith just put an oversized sear pin in another STI (an open gun this time) without reaming the hole, but only on one side. He discovered this after seeing a sear wear uneven twice in this gun.

Tewlman's Edge, BDogs Edge, SmittyFL's Edge, and my Edge are all having this malfunction. The local gunsmith is checking the pin holes in my gun and will let you know what he finds. The only common denominator I see is that all of the guns are STI frames, and all have been hardchromed. BTW, the chroming was done by at least three different shops, Tripp, Metaloy, and Checkmate. They all have different parts, different gunsmiths, and different fired round counts. Three different shooters are making this happen, SmittyFL a GM in FL, Fomeister an A in KY, and Tewlman a B in KY.

I am going to order 4 sets of oversized pins tomorrow and get them shipped NDA so that we can address this before Nationals, gulp.

Thanks to all.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official, two out of five guns with obvious left-side sear pin hole grossly oversized. Mine is worse than the open gun with 30K rounds fired. Two more will be checked this week. I hope this is the actual problem, pins are cheap. FYI, the pins fit tight in the sear, and tight in the right side of the frame, but will wiggle in the left.

When you set up a trigger pull that light, you still need to keep an eye on it, Kinda like an oil change. The sear spring will for lack of a better word, relax. That is what your practice is for. If your gun starts doubling check the tension on your sear spring. :D

Ivan

SCS Vegas

Got the oversized pin installed and ripped off a mag tonight without the malfunction. Taking a list of serial numbers with me next week in case the manufacturer wants to know. 5 guns with the same problem, 3 with close serial numbers. Glad to be back in operation. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hammer dropped to half notch today and cost me two drop turners. Special thanks to Bob Londrigan at Brazos for working on my gun at his table in the vendor tent. Test fired 50 rounds and hoping to report that the new hammer, sear, strut, mainspring, and leaf spring will do the job. I really appreciated the special service during a busy time. By the way, I got two .10s, an.11, and a .12 split after the drop-in trigger job. This thing feels great already. Will follow-up after the next 2-300 rounds.

New theory second hand supposedly from Dawson that some of the guns that are doing this may be from the spring rubbing on the grip frame and causing it not to reset. This may support what Leatham and others call slapping the trigger instead of riding it, although I don't consciously do either.

I have 400 rounds without a malf so far, but I am still a student of this problem and will continue to post until malfunctions die. I fear that this thread may have lost some steam, but I have continued to hear of others with this problem, even some big names from the Nats.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it happened again. Yes right in the middle of a field course at some really close targets, the old half-notch stopage. After 700 rounds without a malf, I am perplexed as much as ever. I suppose I will check to see if the spring is rubbing the grip. I already checked the screws and they are tight. I may have to learn to slap the trigger differently as a potential solution. I fear that I may be riding the trigger a bit, and maybe coming all the way off of it like TJ, RL, and others do will keep me from doing this. Any thoughts?

Damn, sorry to hear that. I haven't installed Bob's kit I bought yet. I was hoping to hear it fixed your problem. I'll let you know when I put mine in, but I'm playing with the open gun for a while.

I too have been shooting other guns some since nats, but really would really like to trust this one as Limited will be my primary focus next year when the tournaments begin. I really hate to abolish my trigger technique as it yields fast splits and has brought me this far.

Fomeister I hate to say it but I would seriously start saving up my pennies and selling what I did not need so as to get a new custom gun that the builder will stand behind to the point of building you new for no cost. I still like Wilson’s; they make it right or build you a completely new gun.

Best of luck.

It is not a gunsmith/gunbuilder issue. One of the makers you mention, has a customer with the problem. I have seen another gun supposedly built by one of them that does this, and I fired both of them with the malfunction. A third custom builders gun does this too, and I have heard of a fourth. It appears that it has something to do with the way I grip the gun during rapid fire that askews the alignment of the parts. A few people have switched to steel frame guns over this issue, but since I like mine in every aspect except this one, I will try to change the death grip I have on it during close engagement. I may try an unaltered grip, but that has only short term affect. There are just too many guns out there doing this in the right hands, including high dollar custom guns from the best builders. If I am flexing the plastic grip, then there is no real fix on a modular gun, barring a metal grip frame being produced.

The sear, hammer and disconnector of the modular guns all ride in the pretty beefy steel part of the frame assy. I dont think you can flex this part with your grip, not you or superman( sad deal about Christopher Reeves today). Send that pistol to a GOOD smith. I can't help but think that if you had sent it to Benny when you said you were going to it would be fixed by now, or at least you would lnow what the problem really was. Larry

You can flex these grips hard enough to make them hold mags in. You could also flex them enough to make the sear spring tension vary occasionally, allowing a light trigger to experience bounce, but this is very intermittent. I trust the smith you mention, but unless he has my grip and finger and 700 rounds of ammo, I don't think he will be able to replicate the issue or diagnose it. I have heard of people with this problem with some of the best smiths custom guns. I do not want to mention the names because I have no way of knowing who has been inside these guns, but they are the best ones often referred on this forum. Top shooters have experienced this same problem, TT, PS, & SS, to name three from the shootoffs. I have not been able to produce this in guns with short triggers yet, and may consider that an option if I can't loosen my grip a little first. I appreciate everyones faith in their gunsmith, but there are guns by most of them out there that people from all over the country have discussed with me. Still open to suggestions from anyone who knows about this first hand, whether a gunsmith or competitor.

• 2 weeks later...

Four more matches and some practice without the malfunction...until last night.

I was practicing: 1-1-1 freestyle, reload, 1-1-1 weakhand from 7 yards with no problems. I then moved up to 5 yards and started 2-2-2 and billdrills. During both 2-2-2 and billdrills, the malfunction happened 3-4 times.

I shot a buddies gun with a short trigger and got a .10 split but couldn't make it malfunction. I may have to try that, but really hate the way it feels. I just don't want to give up on a modular gun. It has to be something I am doing with my trigger. I have done it with too many other guns(all of them modular frames with long triggers), so I really think I need to work on a new trigger technique or something. I must not shoot as fast in matches where it doesn't happen. It is always on really close targets!

Any other suggestions(besides your favorite gunsmith)?