Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CAI-imported Grand Power K-100..?

ck1

One thing I noticed: I probably shot too slow and could have pushed it more, still getting used to how quick the K100 settles down and comes back on target, it does it so fast that I'm still not quite used to it and I almost hesitate a split-second before I fire.... weird. I'm not sure if it's the rotating barrel or what, but it's definitely cool.

The recoil is largely straight back. Odds are you're still waiting for the sights to settle, when they are already on target. Bill Drill yourself silly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inside edge is rolled, but the reason it wouldn't be an issue anyway is that the mag well area in the grip is a decent amount bigger than the actual magazine. There are raised ridges farther inside the grip that keep the mag from wobbling in the gun, but at the bottom, there is plenty of room for a quick mag change.

Just ordered one from JGsales...I'm excited to shoot this gun.

Enjoy. It is a great gun for the price.

Big draw back right now is the lack of magazines on the after market.

We really need to look into drilling CZ mags.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing...if I'm ever to use this for competition. I've got the MecGar CZ mags with the round hole where (it looks like) the square on the K100 mags are. That was part of the agreement I made with myself (that I would be in only for the gun and the sights...didn't really NEED a new Production gun.)

You will love the trigger reset.

I have the Dawson plain black front and rear sights with the extended mag release. Other than that, the only thing I'd like different would be a wider safety and a longer barrel, which is exactly what the Grand Power X-Calibur will have (if we could only get it here).

Edited by rebsimeanblackbears

Don't forget to post your feedback. Also, mine consistently releases the slide when I insert a new mag; saves a little time when I make up a shot.

It is called auto-forwarding and it is a really good feature for IDPA. The M&P has it as well. These two guns are set to rule the SSP class.

My Shadow didn't do that when I first got it...now it does. Very nice 'feature' to have.

I will definitely post feedback. I've got an XDM 5.25, Shadow, 85 Combat, and Glocks 34 and 35 to compare it to. I'm turning into a Production gun collector...

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing...if I'm ever to use this for competition. I've got the MecGar CZ mags with the round hole where (it looks like) the square on the K100 mags are. That was part of the agreement I made with myself (that I would be in only for the gun and the sights...didn't really NEED a new Production gun.)

A little bird suggested that if you are looking for magazines, call, phone, fax, and e-mail Century and J&G without mercy and don't stop until they reply.

You will love the trigger reset.

I have the Dawson plain black front and rear sights with the extended mag release. Other than that, the only thing I'd like different would be a wider safety and a longer barrel, which is exactly what the Grand Power X-Calibur will have (if we could only get it here).

DSCF1739_zpse38b9847.jpg

There are wider safetys being tested, but none are in production yet. I keep asking, but the answer is still the same. "Not until Jaroslav is happy with them."

I've got about 2k on mine X-Calibur right now. I don't know when Century will be able to get it approved by BATFE, but you will love it.

If you already have a K100, shoot the piss out of it.

If you don't, buy one.

DSCF1730_zps349c44f6.jpg

Also, how different do you think the trigger group is on the X-calibur vs. a stock mk7?

Short answer, you need to try it for yourself.

I had reservations when I saw the changes.

Kinda like changing your mothers lasagna recipe, I couldn't envision making it better than it was already.

I got the hammer group to retrofit my Mk6 and wasn't sure what to make of it. I still had a MK6 trigger bow, and actually had more tension on the sear spring than needed.

Now I have the genuine article in my hand, and I'm loving it.

The standard K100 trigger is like a tuned 1911 should be.

The single action is crisp and light, and the reset is unbelievably short.

The X-Calibur hammer group uses a changed geometry.

The sear is moved up. The hammer drops the half cock notch.

The net effect is the trigger is very light, but there is more movement prior to the break.

The feel is smooth and clean, and results in a perfect surprise break.

The reset is longer than the K100, but you can see from the pictures that the forward travel to reset isn't huge.

I've set up my spare X-Calibur with the K100 hammer group so I can try them back to back for an honest evaluation.

My gut tells me the X-Calibur parts will be going back in.

Fortunately, it's not an all or nothing proposition. If you have a 2011 or later Grand Power, you can install either hammer group.

DSCF1554.jpg

Here is a mirror image of the two hammer groups. On the left is the K100. It also shows the firing pin safety lever not used on the X-Calibur.

Edited by Canuck223

Got my K100 yesterday and put grip tape on it (I can't shoot any gun well without grip tape/stippling) and changed the backstrap to the one that felt the best for me - the gun really feels good in my hands - better than any other Production division-type gun I've got (XDM, Shadow, Glock.) Put the Dawson sights on it today.

I shot it yesterday without the grip tape or new sights - seemed to get back on target with the sights in perfect alignment faster than the XDM that I was shooting in that same session. And that's with it feeling like it had been coated in oil.

It doesn't fit in any of the holsters that I own for my other Production guns. The CZ mags fit right up in there but of course they don't stay in place. I tried to use a really small cut off wheel to cut the square into one of the CZ mags - I don't see alot of promise in my being able to get that done...maybe I'll try one of those bits for the dremel that is shaped like a drill bit but is meant for cutting patterns.

I'm not seeing the trigger being similar to the Shadow at this point (other than being double/single with an exposed hammer.) I don't know if it's better or worse at this point - it's just alot different. It's much heavier, I hear creaking noises as I'm pulling it, the reset is shorter, and there is much less take up in single action mode...so there are things I like better about it and things that I don't. I'll get somem trigger time on it shooting drills Sunday.

post-38045-0-36197100-1367005250_thumb.j

post-38045-0-04070900-1367005264_thumb.j

post-38045-0-24893100-1367005283_thumb.j

The only similarity with the CZ is the fact that it is a DA/SA and that it uses adapted CZ mags.

The DA pull is the big con of this gun. In single action, it is incredible (for a $400 production gun, that is), with little to no reset.

You will have to do a lot of dry firing drills to get used to the DA. I use a Laserlyte pro and an IDPA or a USPSA target at 11 yards (that's the longest distance in my house). I start holstered, using a pocket pro and force myself to hit the A | 0 zone in a par time.

My only bad experience so far has been with a USPSA classifier called Area 4 Standards (CM 08-06) where I had to draw, transfer to weak hand and there it took me one full second before I managed to get that first double action shot from my weak hand. I guess this is something I could work on but that kind of classifier is rare.

As for the holster: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000A53-1248808990

Hurry up, there is only one available as of now. After that, a custom Kydex will be your only salvation for production or IDPA.

I am going to grab a CZ mag and work on a template. I believe you also need this baby to get it done right:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15638688?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Edited by NicVerAZ

The only similarity with the CZ is the fact that it is a DA/SA and that it uses adapted CZ mags.

The DA pull is the big con of this gun. In single action, it is incredible (for a $400 production gun, that is), with little to no reset.

You will have to do a lot of dry firing drills to get used to the DA. I use a Laserlyte pro and an IDPA or a USPSA target at 11 yards (that's the longest distance in my house). I start holstered, using a pocket pro and force myself to hit the A | 0 zone in a par time.

My only bad experience so far has been with a USPSA classifier called Area 4 Standards (CM 08-06) where I had to draw, transfer to weak hand and there it took me one full second before I managed to get that first double action shot from my weak hand. I guess this is something I could work on but that kind of classifier is rare.

As for the holster: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000A53-1248808990

Hurry up, there is only one available as of now. After that, a custom Kydex will be your only salvation for production or IDPA.

I am going to grab a CZ mag and work on a template. I believe you also need this baby to get it done right:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15638688?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

How difficult are you expecting the mag modification to be? I'd buy that drill press, but I'm worried it'd have to be more exact than I'm capable of...

I haven't taken the gun apart all the way down to the frame - what's the prospect of a lighter hammer spring to lighten that da pull?

025.jpg

Here is what the frame insert looks like when removed from the frame. It's built sort of like the STI 2011, with all the major parts held in the CNC machined steel frame. (The plastic "frame" is really just a grip}

028.jpg

The hammer spring is contained within the hammer, The left pin in the picture is the hammer pivot pin. The right is the hammer spring pin.

If you can get spares, you can possibly cut a coil to see if that helps, but like always, you will eventually be risking poor ignition.

How difficult are you expecting the mag modification to be? I'd buy that drill press, but I'm worried it'd have to be more exact than I'm capable of...

If you need to modify a magazine, I'd try to find these first.

http://czcustom.com/mgccz7517afc.aspx

As far as I know, Mec-Gar are the OEM supplier and the hole already on the front of the magazine should be in the right spot to open up with a window file.

Still strongly recommend you pester JGSales and Century. Let them know there is a demand.