Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Strikes with Versa Max

nheiny13

When I first got my Versa Max, the gun ran flawlessly. I had the lifter welded and a trigger job performed and when it came back it now has intermittent fail to fires with light strikes. I cleaned the bolt, chamber, and gas pistons and the extractor slot is radiused and I am stil gettting light strickes. Ammo is the cheap Federal and Remington shells. Yes I know, don't use the cheap stuff, but the cheap stuff was 100% before the lifter mod and trigger job. I spoke with the guy that did the trigger job and he said he did not change any of the springs and that I should try a heavier hammer spring, which I plan to do soon. Any other suggestions?

Edited by nheiny13

This! Also check the firing pin spring and firing pin channel isn't gummed up with crud...

Mick

I would get a new stock hammer spring first. The guy may not have changed the spring, but, he didn't say he didn't cut it. :devil:

The stock spring hasn't been cut and I did clean the bolt and firing pin channel so I know no crud was getting in the way. If my problem was once in 500 rounds I would be happy. Mine does this about once or twice in a 25 round box

Make sure the cam pin and cam pin slot are lubed. Clean out the bolt locking lug recesses real good and put a drop of oil on the back of each bolt lug. This sure sounds like it isn't quite in battery. Check to see if the cam pin is cracked, and oil up he bolt internals

Edited by kurtm

Make sure the cam pin and cam pin slot are lubed. Clean out the bolt locking lug recesses real good and put a drop of oil on the back of each bolt lug. This sure sounds like it isn't quite in battery. Check to see if the cam pin is cracked, and oil up he bolt internals

That's what I was thinking, but everything was cleaned, checked and lubed and there was nothing out of the ordinary.

I had the same problem until I dropped in a Benelli firing pin spring. Now, no more light strikes.

Is the benelli spring shorter than the stock one? If so i think that's the stronger one that i have that I'll be trying soon

I had the same problem until I dropped in a Benelli firing pin spring. Now, no more light strikes.

Is the benelli spring shorter than the stock one? If so i think that's the stronger one that i have that I'll be trying soon

Yes, it was shorter than the VM spring.

I have also noticed my hammer is flattening out where it hits the firing pin so I think I'm going to drop the geissele s7 tool steel hammer in to fix that problem.

Well I got to go to the range today and try out the new/stronger hammer spring. I tried several rounds and still had a few light strikes, although I had fewer today than what I was having.

1 box of Federal Pink low recoil 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz 1145 fps = no issues

1 box of Remington Gun Club 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz 1145 fps = no issues

1 box of Federal Walmart bulk pack 3 dram 1 1/8oz 1200 fps = 2 light strikes. I tried these two again and they both fired

1 box of Winchester Super X 3 1/4 dram 1 oz = 1 failure to feed when gun was ghost loaded. Failed to feed the ghost loaded round after the first shot.

This is really starting to frustrate me. Is my only option at this point to send the whole gun off to Benny?

Well I got to go to the range today and try out the new/stronger hammer spring. I tried several rounds and still had a few light strikes, although I had fewer today than what I was having.

1 box of Federal Pink low recoil 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz 1145 fps = no issues

1 box of Remington Gun Club 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz 1145 fps = no issues

1 box of Federal Walmart bulk pack 3 dram 1 1/8oz 1200 fps = 2 light strikes. I tried these two again and they both fired

1 box of Winchester Super X 3 1/4 dram 1 oz = 1 failure to feed when gun was ghost loaded. Failed to feed the ghost loaded round after the first shot.

This is really starting to frustrate me. Is my only option at this point to send the whole gun off to Benny?

Try the Benelli firing pin spring and Geiselle hammer. That fixed my failure to ignite Remington Low Recoil Slugs problem.

How about sending the gun back to Remington for repair under warranty?

If you are embarrassed because the trigger job FUBARed the trigger group, just call them and order a whole new factory trigger assembly (or all the standard parts to go in yours). If the gun ran with stock parts before, it should do so again. If you have a friend who owns a VM, ask to borrow his trigger assembly (but of you were my friend, I would not let you take it out of my sight :roflol: ).

Edited by StealthyBlagga