Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter / backyard practice... Best 1911 airsoft gun?

cyprant

So what do all the airsoft users regard as the best single stack trainer? I never even considered this as a good way to train, but a few youtube videos has me convinced...I have stage designs running through my mind like crazy!!

What does a newbie in airsoft need to know about the equipment, maintenance, downfalls and what not?

I want a single stack trainer. How about a good, better, best. Or is there a consensus on the one to get?

What should I budget?

For a good intro to airsoft look at the video page on www.bamairsoft.com

In the US you have a large selection of manufacturers to choose from.

The most popular gun used seems to be the Tokyo Mauri Hi Cappa 5.1 but this is an STI clone. I have 2, a 4.3 and 5.1 both upgraded.

TM do 1911's but I personally have no knowledge.

Have a look at Bam first and you will get the idea of what's involved. They also have links to free printable targets which are scaled down.

Airsoft development started off in Japan as they have no real guns which is why the TM's are good. Maintenance is low. My first gun is trouble free after about 15,000 shots. They need a bit of silicon spray every now and then. I kind of assumed you were in the US if your in the UK or Europe look at this guys website. All he does is build TM's and he does 1911. This is where I get my guns.

Www.eliteshootingcentre.co.uk

• 5 weeks later...

KWA makes an excellent 1911 replica. They are used by several law enforcement agencies, as well as, several gov. agencies. I have this to supplement my dry fire practice and it works great.

The only down sides I've found so far are:

1). Mag spring tends to stick, place some slide lock in and the problem is fixed

2). Mags are hard to find, products are selling like hot cakes

3). Works best with green gas (i don't see this as a down side since it lubes the gun but some complain of the cost)

I'd highly recommend the KWA - solid product. (NOTE - make sure you buy the gas blow back gun to simulate recoil)

Will

Edited by wmetzler01

KWA makes an excellent 1911 replica. They are used by several law enforcement agencies, as well as, several gov. agencies. I have this to supplement my dry fire practice and it works great.

1). Mag spring tends to stick, place some slide lock in and the problem is fixed

3). Works best with green gas (i don't see this as a down side since it lubes the gun but some complain of the cost)

I'd highly recommend the KWA - solid product. (NOTE - make sure you buy the gas blow back gun to simulate recoil)

Will

I also highly recommend the KWA. I have one and have shot about 5,000 rounds thru it. I think it is great and have had zero issues with it. I found a great deal on a 5 pack of mags but if you buy them individually you may pay more. I also heard the pistol will also work well with an airsoft to propane adapter although I have not tried it yet.

**PLEASE NOTE** Any gas powered pistol will not function properly below about 45 or 50 degrees F. If you are looking for outdoor winter practice I suggest something else.

Will

I also highly recommend the KWA. I have one and have shot about 5,000 rounds thru it. I think it is great and have had zero issues with it. I found a great deal on a 5 pack of mags but if you buy them individually you may pay more. I also heard the pistol will also work well with an airsoft to propane adapter although I have not tried it yet.

**PLEASE NOTE** Any gas powered pistol will not function properly below about 45 or 50 degrees F. If you are looking for outdoor winter practice I suggest something else.

Can you please advise where I can purchase the 5 pack of mags? I'm having a hard time locating them and several shops advised they are on back order.

Thanks!

Will

When I ordered mine they were on amazon.com. I have also purchased mags individually from a local vendor in Nashville. nashvilleairsoft.com I believe you can order from them over the internet.

Hope this helps. I purchased my five pack over a year ago so I am not sure who currently has them in stock.

I have numerous 1911 Airsoft replicas. The KWA 1911s aren't bad, but they are not the best. Tokyo Marui, in my opinion, make the best gas blow back airsoft pistols. They are very accurate, reliable, and the felt recoil is the heaviest. Their 1911 single stack is the MEU, I have this gun and it is great except when the weather is cold. You can use a heating pad (the kind you would put on your body) to warm the mags up and then they will shoot fine. Tokyo Marui's are made in Japan and are very high quality. They are all plastic bodies, but don't let that turn you off.

I also have a KWA 1911 and it is nice and heavy and all of the controls are in the right place and feel good. It isn't the best as far as quality and reliability goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Just another data point. I got a KWA M1911 MKII PTP and the quality is top notch. It is a single stack so only 13 rounds in the mag but it runs great. Kind of pricey $210 delivered with an extra mag ($35). For now I am still shooting the KJW 6" hi cap because the sights match up to my match gun perfectly. I run it on CO2, it eats green gas pretty fast. 20 rounds+- on a green gas charge.

The TM with the new slide quit working 100% and I have not had time to "fix" it. Trying to get ready to go to the FL Open so I want to shoot as much as I can.

And that has been my experience with all airsoft guns. They work great for a few thousand rounds, then something breaks. Does anyone make a high quality gun? Am I expecting too much out of an airsoft gun? I'm willing to spend several hundred dollars on something that will run for a long time without issues, even if I have to piece it together.

So far you have the same experiance as I have.

If I take the 4k +- rounds I have through the TM with the slide I have about $220 and $20 for gas and $10 for BBs it works out to about .06 a shot, about the same cost as shooting .22 but I can do it any time of day, indoors when it's cold outside etc. There is no other way I could shoot every day getting ready for the Florida open with a .22. Way too dark and cold out.

I am having a little better luck with the KJW as so far I have about 8k through it and it's still going strong. It eats gas because it's so heavy, so for that 8k I have about $80 in gas but it seems to be holding up very well. I think the mags are going to be the first thing to go on it.

The KWA is built like a tank and I think it will go a while before it breaks.

In fact I think I will head to the basement and run through a few hundred rounds.

(;-0

Yes. I can only get through 60 shots in the winter before malfunctions begin.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not to hijack but to improve on this discussion. Any of you guys already using airsoft for practice convert their mags from this place.

http://www.tactrainers.com/home_page.php

Any feedback is appreciated. I'd think this would be kind of a saving on the green gas or propane or C02 expense in the long term and also save time re-filling the mags with propellant.

i have the 1911 and M&P knockoffs made by WE and i like them a lot and they work great. built a couple plate racks, a bunch of poppers and ipsc targets. Its fun cheap and good practice. i set stages up in the garage and have all kinds of fun.

Edited by jacketjoed