Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Tactical and Slugs

Herbmiester

I am interested in any testing folks have done with slugs in their Versamax. I took mine to the range on Sunday and with my favorite Federal Tru Ball loads it just would not get on the paper at 50 yards. I have found the Tru Ball shoots very well out of my Benelli M4 and out of my old 1100 Police. I realise that trying other slugs may fix this so if anyone has had any experience with the VM tactical and slugs I am keen to hear.

Thanks

Herb

It seems like most of the versamax guns, tactical and field, shoot slugs to the right. Its just a matter of how far right. The easiest solution is to get a flip up sight installed on the rear or those williams firesights. If its way, way, way off, then you can call customer service and get them to send you another barrel. Its also possible to bend the barrel.

Edited by aheadofthecurve

My versa hits POA=POI at 100yds, about 6" groups, with Fiocchi and BP. Off hand, on the clock I can keep them all inside the C zone. When I installed the barrel clamp that turned into 12" groups at 3' left of the target. It took me some trial and error to figure out: Loosen the tube and tighten the barrel nut, then screw down the tub till it has just a tiny bit if wiggle. This gives enough play for the clamp to go in and snug up without the mag tube pulling on the barrel. Loctite the tub into the nut, with it clamped in place and it should be good to go. Also some grip tape around the mag tub, under the clamp will keep it from shifting under fire, with the clamp not quite so cranked down. At this point I am dead on again and get very little shift in POI, but those results are short term. Don't know how it will all hold up long term. The long term answer is to go to a one piece tube and they should be the market before next season starts.

Exactly what Co-exprs said. I took off my clamp altogether and groups are good now. I have only tested at 35 yards but will get to the range again soon to go out further. If you take off the clamp, make sure to check the tube to make sure it is tight often. I am waiting on the one piece tubes also.

I've run the one piece tubes on a few different VMs now, T&E is ongoing. We hope to have our 3 testers with one piece tubed VMs running in a few weeks. The stock tubes are pretty thin so I would not recomend running them without the clamp.

The tubes are thin, the barrel nut clamps down on a flexible plastic hand guard, rather than the steel, barrel support ring (or whatever it's called), and Remington does a woefull job on the threads. They are undersized, causing them to be loose with the mating nut and you don't get enough thread length. All this adds up to a very flexible mag tube assy, especially with a 14" extension hanging off the end. I'm running a clamp until the one piece tubes are available.

Lancer makes a carbon fiber extension and clamp setup. The clamp has some foam tape inside the clamp to keep it from moving and not making you have to tighten it down so much. This works well, and hasn't changed my poi.

Which one works on the Versa Max?