Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I wanna see video of you splits!

steel1212

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few videos of me shooting sub .10 splits during matches.....

In this video the sub .10 split happens on the first target I engage in the second shooting position. I validated the split on the timer after the stage run being a 0.09.

In this video the sub .10 split happens on the third target engaged in the last shooting position. Once again I validated the split on the timer after the stage run being a 0.08.

I probably have a few more examples of ultra fast splits from other match videos. But the above two come to mind quickly.

When I live fire practice draws with two shots on target and the target is really close I can usually crank out .10 - .12 splits pretty regularly. Getting them below .10 usually only happens when I am in the middle of a stage run and really relaxed.

The other thing to consider is that if the timer is not set to pick up splits below 0.08 then you are not going to see them show up on the timer. I have had that happen a few times at club matches. Rip off some wicked splits during a stage run and the timer does not pick it up because the shot threshold isn't set low enough. The shot timer I use for practice is set to 0.07 and I am yet to outrun that or even get a 0.07. I have seen a 0.08 a few times in practice but not many.

Nice shooting - those are some very fast splits in the second video... (which is impressive to me only due to the fact that they were combined with really fast transitions too)

However... in the first video, it sounds like the gun doubled. And in the second video, I'm thinking that the timer must have picked up an echo... (I've seen doubles recorded at .08 on a timer before, and they sound distinctly different than fast splits.)

In this video the sub .10 split happens on the first target I engage in the second shooting position. I validated the split on the timer after the stage run being a 0.09.

In this video the sub .10 split happens on the third target engaged in the last shooting position. Once again I validated the split on the timer after the stage run being a 0.08.

I probably have a few more examples of ultra fast splits from other match videos. But the above two come to mind quickly.

When I live fire practice draws with two shots on target and the target is really close I can usually crank out .10 - .12 splits pretty regularly. Getting them below .10 usually only happens when I am in the middle of a stage run and really relaxed.

Could you elaborate on "really relaxed"? Whats your focus like, grip ect.

Nice shooting - those are some very fast splits in the second video... (which is impressive to me only due to the fact that they were combined with really fast transitions too)

However... in the first video, it sounds like the gun doubled. And in the second video, I'm thinking that the timer must have picked up an echo... (I've seen doubles recorded at .08 on a timer before, and they sound distinctly different than fast splits.)

My gun is not "Doubleing" in either of those video's. If the gun was going off when I didn't intend it to I would immediately stop shooting the stage and fix my gun. I don't know why anyone would think it would be acceptable to keep shooting a pistol that fired when you didn't intend it to.

Could you elaborate on "really relaxed"? Whats your focus like, grip ect.

That is hard to explain. The more tension I have while shooting the slower my splits are and the more I end up mashing the trigger resulting in crappy hit quality. My ultimate goal while shooting a stage is to not focus or think about anything particular. My goal is to simply let the shooting happen at its own pace driven by what I see. When I execute this properly I shoot the stage with zero tension and the shots break automatically when the sight picture is valid. The hard part is having the confidence in your skills to truly let go after the Buzzer goes off and simply let what you have trained happen on its own. If you have trained effectively, you will execute effectively. If you have trained ineffectively then you will execute ineffectively. Its really as simple as that.

The only other thing that I really have to keep in check is thinking about doing any gun activities "Fast". Drawing, Reloading, Shooting, Transitioning ALL get negatively impacted if I consciously think about doing them "Fast". Any time I am breaking down a stage before shooting it or even while shooting it I feel like I have to "GO FAST" I know that I am in trouble and the result is going to be crap. So for me, a top priority is to never think about performing gun activities "Fast". Now moving from one shooting position to another while not shooting, that is different. I will continually coach myself in "GO FAST" when I have to run or move to another shooting position. Doing this helps me maintain aggressive movement through he stage while not shooting. I can clearly hear myself say "RUN!!!" or "MOVE!!!" in my head when I have to haul ass to the next shooting position.

My gun is not "Doubleing" in either of those video's. If the gun was going off when I didn't intend it to I would immediately stop shooting the stage and fix my gun. I don't know why anyone would think it would be acceptable to keep shooting a pistol that fired when you didn't intend it to.

I do this too once in a while, I call it bump firing. You are relaxed so trigger finger acts like one of those devices on a AR trigger. I usually do it on a fairly hard stop to a close target.

I don't consider it a malfunction because I have control of the gun, I am aiming and usually the hits are snake eyes because of my stance/index and grip

Now I have to ask. You cannot replicate it on demand and you consider it a skill?

When you say three times in a row do you mean like four shots in a row in a Bill Drill, or a draw and two rounds on one target done three times? I have done the latter when practicing my draw, a 0.09 split followed by two that were too fast for the timer to record.

I do this too once in a while, I call it bump firing. You are relaxed so trigger finger acts like one of those devices on a AR trigger. I usually do it on a fairly hard stop to a close target.

I don't consider it a malfunction because I have control of the gun, I am aiming and usually the hits are snake eyes because of my stance/index and grip

Now I have to ask. You cannot replicate it on demand and you consider it a skill?

There are many things us Humans can not replicate on demand that we can actually do when we simply let it happen and we would still consider the action performed a skill. How is shooting any different?

My gun is not "Doubleing"...

I guess doubling and bump-firing are different, and shouldn't be confused with one another... but whatever it's to be called, the two shots you're referring to in the first video do not appear to me to be two intentional "presses" of the trigger.

...whatever it's to be called, the two shots you're referring to in the first video do not appear to me to be two intentional "presses" of the trigger.

I get the chance to shoot alongside CHA-LEE often and I can assure you that these splits are not just a fluke; this guy is FAST (and accurate)!

Again, I'm not looking for that one that happened during a match. I'm looking for a video of the guys that say it happens all the time, that they are just that fast, that they are just that good. Ok then prove it. Show me 3 single digit splits back to back on demand with the timer for proof.

Jerry is a given. Sanders thats definitely impressive and so far the only taker I've seen!