Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.105 thick site: should it be matched with a .140 or .125?

ProGunGuy

I have a Dawson .105" fiber optic front sight and I use a .125" rear site with it. I like the way it looks on target. I use it for IDPA and steel matches. Can pick up the front site fast. Here's a kind of crappy pic of it.

DSCN1115.jpg

I have really grown to like a "tighter" sight picture, as in .115 front/.125 rear. It forces me to get the sight picture right, rather than "close enough" with a wider rear like the Sevigney at .150.

Wow thought it was just me. I recently went to the wider is better rear notch and my ability to shoot groups disappeared. For a while I thought I had just lost any skill I had ever had with pistol. Then I shot new issued duty weapon before changing sights and even with crappy factory sights I could shoot groups again. I was relieved and now have heinies original sights on pistol and don't completely suck anymore.

Wow thought it was just me. I recently went to the wider is better rear notch and my ability to shoot groups disappeared. For a while I thought I had just lost any skill I had ever had with pistol. Then I shot new issued duty weapon before changing sights and even with crappy factory sights I could shoot groups again. I was relieved and now have heinies original sights on pistol and don't completely suck anymore.

That is interesting. I use a .105 front and .145 rear setup and feel that I can shoot groups better with it verses tighter sights (smaller light bars).

I think it depends on what you are doing with the pistol as well. I find my .105" front and .125" rear are fast to get on target for action shooting like IDPA, 3 Gun and steel. I haven't had a real problem shooting groups when I was testing some ammo but shooting groups isn't the intended use of the pistol.

I think that this is really one of those personal preference things and the only way you know what works best for you is to try different combinations. I have found that I like the notch and front sight to be the same size with the front looking somewhat thinner due to sight radius.